cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking my phone

Journeyman

unlocking my phone

I have a Samsung galaxy s8+ ..it is a sprint phone..clean esn..not stolen or blacklisted..i bought it on ebay... I need to have it unlocked as I don't get sprint service where I live...sprint says its unlocked but my t mobile sim is invalid sim... what do I do next..dan

15 REPLIES 15
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: unlocking my phone

Hey dualsales. Below is a list of requirements for unlocks. If you don't have a Sprint SIM, you'll need to pop into a store and get one for your S8+. If you are still having issues with the device being unlocked, pop back in here after you get that SIM and we can help you out, so long as you meet the other requirements in the link below. 

SOLUTION: Sprint Hints for Successful Unlocks

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

thanks for your kind response...unfortunately for me having a third party sprint phone, the rules cannot be met...I was more than willing to work with sprint on this, and would have paid them to release the sim lock.. but in their corporate bias they choose to keep me from using my device.. so sad for them that policy cannot prevail as I am using my device now... maybe t mobile will clean up their mess..dan 

We want to help you get the device unlocked. But it is important to follow the steps in order to have a successful unlock. 

Journeyman

however there are no clears steps on a sprint phone you have never owned before...cs told me it was unlocked where the phone said otherwise...cs said take it to the nearest sprint store..45 minutes later store salespersons said no..no..we do not unlock phones here..45 minutes later cs online told me to sell the phone then hung up on me...this seems to be about average treatment you get from sprint if you are not a subscriber of their service..again so sad for them.,, also good luck finding the previous owner of a used sprint phone as they will not provide that info...whereas I would like to think a decent person who used to own the phone would help me out, or have sprint contact them to get it worked out... nearly all used phones for sale have been wiped clean of personal data or factory reset... I know I do it when I sell a phone..dan

If you're being told by Customer Care that the phone is unlocked, this means we sent the signal but the phone didn't receive it. It just means that the previous owner didn't have it set up correctly to receive the signal. 

Per our unlock policy, you'll have to provide the previous owner's name. How long ago did you purchase the phone? Typically, I'm going to recommend attempting to contact the seller, or contact eBay for further assistance with the information needed. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

thanks for your input...but let's get down to facts...the sprint phone was not sim unlocked when I purchased it.,,.how could sprint unlock my phone without an activated sprint sim card...or send me an unlock code...I tried wi-fi...waste of time...you would think just being able to take it over to the local sprint store ...have them check it out ..everything is clean..i have proof of purchase pay them a reasonable fee to unlock it..would not that just make things so much easier...instead of these ridiculous run arounds they apply..again so sad for them...it is the business reduction department..dan 

Journeyman

fyi.. perhaps you have not noticed, but from one of my previous posts I am already using my phone...with zero help from sprint...so after that.. all of this discussion is pretty much a moot point...however as suggested to me to get a sprint sim card and try my luck with that kinda defeats the purpose of keeping my current carrier...no other carrier holds used phones hostage like sprint does ..so sad..dan

If you're currently using the phone, how did you discover that it's still locked? When stating that you'll need a Sprint SIM, only once you have the previous owner's name, is not for you to try your luck. The SIM tells the phone which signal to look for, when the unlock signal is sent. It won't be need to be an active SIM. 

Please let us know if you are successfully with getting the previous owner's name, we'll be happy to proceed at that time. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Highlighted
Journeyman

ok..i understand the confusion here..there's just three things to understand... one..the phone was sim locked to sprint when I bought it on ebay...two...sprint gave me the run-around about unlocking it because it was a third party phone and would not even help me at all ...three ..I paid a whopping nine dollars to have it unlocked online... so much for their insane policy.. good luck to them in the future..aka  the business reduction department.. as always..dan 

Journeyman

Hi,
I have an iPhone 5S. Fully paid off, haven't used Sprint in years as I've been living overseas. I need to get my phone unlocked from Sprint so I can use a local sim but I can't seem to find a way to do it without calling (which I can't do from China) or going into a store (which I also can't do from China).
My phone meets all the requirements for being unlocked and I don't want to pay $35 to unlock a 6 year old phone.

If anyone has any solutions, please help!

Have you been able to use this phone oversea? It is internationally unlocked? With a phone this age we cannot do a domestic unlock as it doesn't have the capability to work on other networks.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat