cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32GB Won't Activate, Now What?

Highlighted
Journeyman

32GB Won't Activate, Now What?

In these forums, and chatting with Sprint, I get mixed answers, some say it will work, some say it will not.

So today, several people have said that Sprint will not activate their 32GB Nexus 5, only the 16GB model.

Now what?  I have a 32GB Nexus 5 being shipped to me, and now my phone won't even work on a network advertised to work?

Is Sprint going to get this fixed, or am I fubared?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 32GB Won't Activate, Now What?

I'm having the exact same issue. I chatted online they tell me I need a UICC sim and to go get a free one at the store. I go to the store and they say they don't have any. I call and say I'm seeing reports of people being able to activate the 16gb but not the 32gb they say that phone may not be able to be activated and anyway they can't do anything until theirs launch. Meanwhile i'm stuck with an unlocked phone and no contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the_mexman:

First you need a SIM.  Call corporate Sprint stores only and ask if they have SKU 760492013536 in stock.  That is the UICC SIM you need for the nexus 5.

Once you have that, you can activate on the Sprint network with the MEID which is the IMEI minus the last digit if you have the 16GB model.

32GB model they are working on allowing them to be activated on Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried that, they said they had no idea until Friday and only then would they know if I could order it via the phone. I'll try again with the exact SKU.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, you just need to call and say "Hi, I would like to check availability of a product, can I give you the SKU?"

If they are out of stock on the item, ask what neighboring stores do have stock of that SKU.

The problem is, Sprint employees have no idea what you are asking for.  A poorly written notice went out that made it sound like special UICC SIMs were going out for Nexus 5 customers when really, existing SIMs that many stores have are available to pickup.

Sprint employees just don't know, so being SKU-specific helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This has been an exercise in futility. The 888 number was able to order one for me, though they are on backorder. A local authorized repair center will sell me one for $25. The sprint stores would not let me check by sku, they interrupted me and asked me for what phone, as soon as I said the Nexus 5 they old me they had no sim cards at all. The other store just connected me to corporate sales. The stores were the Pulaski store in Chicago and the Cicero store for anyone in the Chicagoland area.

Highlighted
Wizard

The phone isn't out yet for Sprint, so its not fully supported till the 8th, so till then, most support and stores will be out of the loop.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry for your troubles the_mexman - that sounds very frustrating.

I don't know why sprint stores in your area wouldn't look it up by SKU - really takes the whole guessing game if they have it or not out and helps when they can check neighboring stores for you.

I would call back and insist that they check by product SKU so they can check neighboring stores if they don't have them (it must be a corporate Sprint store, not an authorized dealer).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seank_ - the phone is released and clearly being advertised as working with sprint.

There is simply no reason to tell customers that you don't have the correct microsim in stock when you do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So everyone knows go ask for an S4 or HTC One SIM when they pull one out then pull your phone out. I was online with my Black Nexus 5 32gb at 0709 this morning. I did have to call Tech support to activate with the UCCID off the card. If the SIM is ready to go your Status in about phone settings will show Sprint as the network and you can dial *2 and connect. That's when you reboot and call Sprint. The SIM locks after about 10 minutes so you may have to reboot several times during the setup process while on the phone with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same experience here. tried three stores so far, consistent refusal to take a SKU over the phone for lookup, when asked about having any SIMs in general, claim their store does not have any ( and claim they would not be able to see neighboring stores inventory, even with a SKU. )

The consistent message here is to wait until Friday. Except one that did mention they're expecting to receive items such as microsims before Friday and that I might want to call (other stores) again after 3pm, since that's apparently when they check what they received.

Highlighted
Journeyman

haha you have to play the game to win.

"Hello I was wondering if you had any Sim cards for the Galaxy S4."

"Yes we have some in stock"

"Perfect I'll be over with my Nexus soon"

The stores are being told not to give out Sims for the new Nexus phone, probably waiting until Friday, so like I said before, you have to play the game to win.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat