cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate used Nexus 5 on sprint

Go to solution
Journeyman

Activate used Nexus 5 on sprint

I'm in need of a replacement phone for my HTC M7, and would like to get a Nexus 5. I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this question: can I activate, on Sprint, a Nexus 5 that's been previously activated on another network (TMo or ATT)? They are unlocked and have all the radios, obviously. But, the question is will Sprint let me do it? Are there any magic words to use with the CSR's or what? I'm on a framily plan, so there isn't a device subsidy and I want an N5 anyway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES
Master

Re: Activate used Nexus 5 on sprint

sprintusers5,
Hi there, it must be a Sprint device if you are activating it on the Sprint network and must be CDMA capable. Here is our unlock policy, Sprint.com/unlock. Please let me know if you have questions. - Sarah
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

There's no such thing as a "Sprint device" when you're talking about a Nexus 5. They are all identical. Your answer seems to be the exact opposite of what the CSR in another thread said. So which is it?

Master

sprintusers5,

The phone has to be a Nexus 5 from Sprint. We are unable to activate phones that are from other carriers. The database comes up with an error that states the serial number is not recognized when trying to perform that task. Hope this was helpful.

- Marie
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

That's funny because I activated my Nexus 5 purchased from Google Play 4 days ago. It is NOT a Sprint device, but it works great.

I'm generally happy with Sprint, but you have to do your own research as the CSRs, at least the low level ones really are clueless.

There are a multitude of posts about this - basically of the Nexus 5 was purchased from Google Play or Sprint you will easily be able to activate it, even of it was active on ATT or T-Mobile. If the phone was originally bought from somewhere else you will have to escalate to a high level tech to get the device added to Sprints database. All US Nexus 5's are 100% capable of being used with Sprint.

Journeyman

I'll start this off by addressing the Sprint customer service people and I urge them to read this. It's a long post but it is necessary. -

Every single Nexus 5 that is sold for the United States market (D820) is exactly the same. Sprint models work on AT&T and T-Mobile and those models are compatible with Sprint. When the D820 was launched, Sprint only received the MEIDs of devices sold directly through Sprint and 16GB models sold through the Google Play Store. The models sold through Google and Sprint are not branded. There is no Sprint logo on the phones. It doesn't even have Sprint software on the phone. Before the 32GB models sold through Google (that Sprint doesn't sell) were added to the database, Sprint told customers that those devices were not Sprint devices and couldn't be activated. Turns out that a week later all of those devices that couldn't be activated were suddenly allowed to be activated. So, think about this: Did those devices suddenly get Sprint branding and get resold by Sprint or were they simply added to the database. The database that Sprint currently has is not complete. Sprint has only received device information for the devices sold directly via Sprint and the Google Play Store. That doesn't mean that the other devices are not compatible. They are perfectly compatible. Sprint just hasn't received the information from LG that will whitelist the other MEIDs of devices sold through other carriers. Sorry to say Sprint, but your representatives are wrong on this. They will continue to be wrong on this. The database may show that they are not Sprint capable, but I assure you that they are. The customers know vastly more about this device than Sprint staff.

So for the final time, ALL NEXUS 5s ARE SPRINT CAPABLE DEVICES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'BRANDED' NEXUS 5. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'SPRINT' NEXUS 5. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SKU. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME DEVICE. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS. Sprint even sells their own Nexus 5s factory SIM unlocked. If you have a Sprint Nexus 5, go pop in another SIM from a different carrier. The phone will restart and the device will work perfectly and make calls. Would a 'Sprint device' be factory unlocked? No. That's because Google made a deal with Sprint that the carrier must sell the device unlocked and honor all Nexus 5s. Sprint has dropped their end of the deal.

For "Sprintusers5" - Yes, that Nexus 5 that has been used on another carrier will eventually work on Sprint. In the meantime, the MEID will continue to receive error messages when trying to get it activated.

I formally filed a complaint with the FCC regarding this issue. I'm currently working with Sprint's Executive and Regulatory department to get all MEIDs of Nexus 5s added to the database. It is against FCC rules to prohibit device activations on Sprint's network for devices that are Sprint capable. The FCC has said that if Sprint does not assist users in getting their devices activated that they will be fined for non-compliance.

By the way Sprint, up until several days ago you had the same exact issue with the Nexus 6 by Motorola. You only had the MEIDs of devices sold through Sprint directly. But now that Motorola has sent all MEIDs to Sprint, Sprint will now allow the activation of N6 devices sold through other carriers on Sprint's network (including AT&T, T-Mo, and Verizon). You may not know that they are from a different carrier but they are, and it proves that Sprint's line about "not activating non-Sprint devices" is total crap.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.