Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Activate Nexus 5

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Cannot Activate Nexus 5

I bought a Nexus 5 from a friend, the phone was purchased and activated on T-Mobile, the ESN is clean and I received the ICC ID from Sprint already.  From what I have read the Nexus 5 is an unlocked phone no matter where it is purchased from, I contacted Google device services directly and that is also what they told me, but when I try to activate it on my Sprint Account it says the MEID is not recognized.  So, can I activate a T-Mobile Nexus 5 on Sprint or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Master

BoSox26,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize for any confusion.  At this time Sprint utilities CDMA/LTE network for wireless devices and the competitor you are referring to utilizes GSM/LTE.  Unfortunately these are not compatible networks and Sprint is unable to activate devices which were not designed for our network.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146
Highlighted

No you can't.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you know why it can't be activated with Sprint?  It is an unlocked phone and from what I've read using a Sprint Nexus 5 with T-Mobile is possible, so why wouldn't it be the same the other way around?

Highlighted
Journeyman

And based on this Nexus 5 Carrier lock? it sounds like I should be able to activate it on any carrier regardless of where it was purchased. I have also had four click it tickets opened to have the MEID manually entered into the Sprint database and they have all been closed without being manually entered into the Sprint database.

Highlighted

For some reason Sprint has decided to not activate phones purchased from T-Mobile (or any other carrier). The only unlocked phone Sprint will activate is the Nexus 5 purchased through Google.

Highlighted
Master

BoSox26,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize for any confusion.  At this time Sprint utilities CDMA/LTE network for wireless devices and the competitor you are referring to utilizes GSM/LTE.  Unfortunately these are not compatible networks and Sprint is unable to activate devices which were not designed for our network.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

View solution in original post

Highlighted

SprintCare wrote:

BoSox26,

Sprint Social Care Team

David

Umm...the Nexus 5 works on both CDMA/LTE and GSM/LTE networks. The Nexus 5 on T-Mobile is the same Nexus 5 Sprint has and is the same one Google sells. For some reason Sprint has refused to activate the Nexus 5 if it comes from T-Mobile even though it is the same phone.

Highlighted
Master

coasterphotos

Thanks for the post. You are correct the Nexus 5 is set up to handle both CDMA and GSM. The issue with trying to activate a device from another carrier is that our systems sometimes don't recognize the device so we are unable to activate it onto the Sprint network. The other problem is that if the device is set up for another carrier originally we can't grantee that it'll work on our network. Let us know if you have any other questions we're here to help.

Patrick N.
Social Care Team
Highlighted
Wizard

That's because you refuse to allow anyone to enter the phone information to your allowed list. Dumb dumb way to get new customers!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue where I purchased the phone for full price from T-mobile and cannot activate on Sprint. I've used it on several international carriers already, so clearly its unlocked. I don't understand why this is so difficult to activate on Sprint. I will just switch to T-Mobile or ATT if I can't get this resolved in a week or so.

Highlighted
Master

user123144252,

Hi there. Do you have a Sprint UICC card? This is similar to a SIM card, but is for Sprint. We would also need to load the ESN into the system. Please let me know if we have begun any of this process.

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I got a UICC card from a Sprint Store, but they couldn't activate the phone because they couldn't find the MEID in their system (I don't exactly know what that means but thats what they told me). Anyway, if this is something we can take care of online please let me know. They let me keep the UICC card, so I still have it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat