cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does data (LTE or 3G) work while talking on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

Journeyman

Does data (LTE or 3G) work while talking on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

I'm considering returning my S5 because it can't do this.  The only phone I'd consider going to is the Nexus 5 bought through Google because I hate all of the Sprint bloatware.

7 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Does data (LTE or 3G) work while on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

Both Galaxy S5's and Nexus 5's will work on 3G and LTE. There must be an issue in your area which is giving you problems.

Journeyman

Re: Does data (LTE or 3G) work while on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

That's not the question.  The question is- can you talk on the phone while also using data over LTE/3G?

Master

Re: Does data (LTE or 3G) work while talking on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

tykaiwy,

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately our Spark capable phones do not have the ability to talk and surf at the same time.

Sean L
Social Care
Master

tykaiwy,

Thanks for the clarification. The answer, unfortunately, is no. Our Spark devices do not have SVD hardware. This means that they only have the ability to talk and surf over WiFi.

Sean L
Social Care
Journeyman

Can you explain what a "spark" device is?

Master

JohnDGiotta,

A Spark device has capabilities that uses three bands of LTE to create a revolutionary tri-band network experience. For you, this means our fastest-ever peak data speeds of up to 60 Mbps, stronger in-building signal and improved call quality.
Alexes Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Re: Does data (LTE or 3G) work while talking on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

This is for the S5, but I assume it would work on the galaxy note 4 and all other devices with this issue. I wanted to let you know that there is a very easy work around for this limitation. It is supplied by Google Inc through the Hangouts Dialer app. I'm not sure whether or not you need Hangouts installed to use it, but it allows you to make calls via the data network and still use the network to browse the web, etc. I have tried it several times at home with WiFi off and it works flawlessly so far. It's sad that Sprint didn't find a way to bypass this limitation on their own, or at least inform customers, but this is an easy and seamless solution by Google. I put the icon right next to my default phone icon for future use. Additionally, I can not believe that Sprint is not aware of this work around. I spoke to a few different representatives today, and none were able to offer a solution. I found this on my own searching the play store. Hope this helps!!

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!