cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

Journeyman

LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

I see lots of individual issues posted, but I haven't seen multiple network-wish issues reported simultaneously. I'm wondering if anybody else has seen these issues.

I've had my Nexus 5 since first available. I preordered with Sprint when it was released. I haven't had any issues until the last week of February.

The issues started with the incorrect time. I was set to automatic date and time/time zone. The first morning I noticed this, the day was an hour fast. The time corrected itself during the day. 2 days later, the phone was an hour behind when I woke up. Again, it corrected during the day. The next day, the phone was an hour fast again. In addition to being annoying and not sounding my morning alarm at the correct time, the inconsistent behavior is confusing. The random incorrect time has started happening again mid March, being an hour behind.

Now in March, I'm plagued with more unpredictable behavior. Some times, I am unable to answer a phone call from a location I've been in for years. I try to slide to answer, but the call won't connect, and the roaming R appears on my signal status bar. This happens with multiple combinations of Preferred Network Type and System Select options. And I've tried all 8 possible combinations of the settings.

The inability to answer calls is often paired with the warning triangle stating that I've Entered Data Roaming. I can't make the error go away without restarting the phone. Sometimes the error status away for hours, sometimes it comes back after a few minutes.

Further, I regularly see the phone toggling between LTE and 3G while sitting still for hours on end. There is no consistency between network availability and location.

Here's the kicker: either all or all but one of these issues happen at the same time, at the same location. A location that none of my last 3 phones with Sprint had issues, and a location that the Nexus 5 didn't have issues until recently. In other places, I have no problems, and the phone works well enough (I'd still like to have data connectivity simultaneously while making a phone call, and a voicemail notification would be great).

I'm leaning toward this being a Sprint network issue because it seems to be location based. I've also used the Nexus 5 with other carriers, and I haven't seen any of these behaviors. I'd really like to be able to use my phone without having to think about it. I've been using Sprint that way for about 12 years, and I've only had to contact them about once a year until recently. Now, I'm extremely frustrated with the amount of time I have to put in just to figure out how to receive a phone call.

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Master

Re: LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

Hello DOLFINGIRL, I understand how frustrating these constant issues may be I wish to help. Was the constant time change fixed now in March? What area are you experiencing the roaming issues at? If this has never been a problem before the area may be in the process of being upgraded. Please provide me your cross streets and zip code so I can look further at the towers you are connecting to. Have you attempted the basic troubleshooting such as a profile update and power cycle? Let me know please. Roxana - Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

The time change is still occurring. It started up again this week, and it is occurring as I type this now. I have updated the PRL and profile 5-10 times since Monday. Powering off the phone only provides a temporary fix if it works, but most of the time it doesn't change the time. One of the two locations is near the intersection of Aviation Ave and Core Rd in 29406.

Highlighted
Master

DOLFINGIRL,

Have you gone into your settings to see if you can manually set the time and date? Please let us know.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I can set the time manually. I set that for a few days when the time on the phone was critical, and then I re-enabled network time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, I just got my Nexus 5 last Thursday March 13 2014.

As of yesterday I had the issue with the time. My clock went back an hour. I restarted the phone and it corrected but it went back an hour soon after, I checked to make sure that the time zone was correct, I set the time manually and then went back to auto and the clock reverted back the hour. Today I tried to answer a phone call and my phone wouldn't answer it so I restarted it, I tried to call back the person and the phone kept going into roaming even though I had full bars on LTE. My phone is set to sprint only for system, global for network and data usage is switch off. I've updated my PRL and profile at least 5 times now and nothing. I'm in southern CA, I had my HTC LTE since the day it came out and never had a problem, you guys need to fix this. I've been a customer for over ten years abs depend on my phone for appointments and alarms to get to those appointments.

Highlighted
Master

POTOHEAD1 Thank you for letting me know about this. Does this issue occur in other locations? May I have the zip code and cross streets so I can narrow down this tower? *David S Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi I had the same issue as well and I live in Florida

Highlighted
Master

PLPRUD Thanks for posting with us! May I check the towers and coverage in your area by using your zip code and cross streets? Also, have you performed any troubleshooting steps with your Nexus 5 yet? *David S Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes I power on and off my phone does a prl and profile update unchecked and rechecked automatic time zone right now I set the time no the phone and I live in coral springs zip code 33065 and fhua happens on Wiles rd and rock island

Highlighted
Master

PLPRUD

Thanks for the info. Have you tried a device reset? You do this by dialing *#*#72786#*#* the phone will reboot then go through hands free again. Try this if you haven't and let us know if this works.

Patrick N
Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, it happened yesterday when I was in Burbank, CA. My so is 90670 Telegraph rd and pioneer blvd. I'm having the same issue with the clock as we speak. You guys really needed to take care of this and stop giving us answers that don't do anything to solve the problem. By telling us to power cycle or to update the PRL and profile which most of us know we need to do anyway before bothering to contact you guys, only makes us angrier and more dissatisfied.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat