Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

Highlighted
Master

Re: LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

POTOHEAD1 -- I apologize for the inconvenience. I am seeing some problems with the tower nearest to Telegraph/Pioneer. I've pinpointed the location and sent a report to our network team so that this problem can be resolved as soon as possible. Thank you. -- Toya, Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: LTE/3G inconsistent, spontaneous roaming, can't answer calls, incorrect time

I'm going to apologize ahead of time for calling BS on what you are saying. Every person that has reported this issue gets the same answer there's a problem with the towers in your area. So I cannot believe that every person with an issue similar to the one I have with a Nexus 5 mind you that the towers happen to be down or with problems in that area. I also said that the problem that I am having at my house is the same issue that I had in a completely different city far away from my house, you are going to tell me that they're tower in that city also has issues? That doesn't make any sense, not only that, but I have family members that live in my house, 3 more people that live in my house what they use sprint, one of them has a 4G LTE HTC, the other one has an lg optimus and one an iPhone. None of them are having any issues with their phones, so how can you tell me that the towers are down or having issues and I'm the only one being affected. Again you giving us an answer just to give us an answer doesn't do anything else than frustrate us. Stop testing us like if we are idiots because we aren't.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is the first time I've set the time manually and left it that way for an extended amount of time. The result is that when I go into an area with bad timing from the network, the time notifications on my texts and messages are now an hour off. So, if I receive a text right now, it says that it arrived an hour ago. Unless immediately checking messages as they arrive, I can't tell which have good time stamps. It throws off real life communications like "I'm at this place. Cone meet me."

Is it possible that the phone displays the correct time because it's set manually, but the messages from the network are stamped an hour behind? That would make sense because the towers were telling my phone it was an hour behind when I used network timing.

Highlighted
Master

DOLFINGIRL:

It is possible for sure. When messages come in they are time stamped by the tower you are connected to, not the device receiving them. I do understand how that can cause conversations to get out of whack when depending on the texts. As the tower work continues that will clear up.

Jon H. Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Further updates with setting the time manually while in an area where the towers are an hour behind: While the clock display on my phone is still accurate, there are more timing issues that just time stamps on text messages and alerts.

The entire Google calendar is shifted by an hour. So, an appointment that I set with a good time actually adjusts to be an hour behind when I am near a bad tower and have to manualy set the time in my phone. So, the manual time setting actually hurts the operation of the phone. This is no longer an inconvenience about receiving text messages. This is now affecting the ability to make and keep appointments.

I tried it out based on advice from this forum, but this has turned out to not be an acceptable solution.

Highlighted
Master

DOLFINGIRL
Do you know of other Sprint users in this area that are seeing the same issue with the incorrect time? Also, we would like to see if this has been reported. What is the zip code and some close cross streets to where you see this issue?
-Patrick
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry I'm not sure if you are able to read the previous messages on this thread abs other parts of the forum. But if you notice there is a lot of peruke having this issue including me. As I write this I'm in CA currently my phone displays 11:08pm real time is 12:08am. I've had the same issues with my appointments, I almost missed a couple of work related appointments because I'd the time. At the time the time zone changes by itself to pacific standard time metlakatla. I've again we need this resolved, there are people living in my house with different brand phones in sprint who are not having this issues. So could you please give us an answer?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Patrick,

Both phones on my account have experienced this. 29485 at Wescott Blvd and Oak Forest Blvd, and 29406 at Aviation Ave and Core Rd, and at 95 GA Hwy 247 South in 31088. This spans across one city and extends into the middle of another state.

Highlighted
Master

DOLFINGIRL, Thanks for the provided information. I have taken a look in 29485 at Wescott Blvd and Oak Forest Blvd and see tat there is a tower down and we are currently working on resolving this issue so that the tower will be performing as expected. In 29406 at Aviation Ave and Core Rd I see that all the towers are performing as expected. Lastly, in the area of 95 GA Hwy 247 South in 31088 everything is performing as expected. When did this issue begin? I would like to see if it started the same time that the tower went down. Let me know. *Jazmine Social Care
Highlighted
Master

POTOHEAD1:

This issue is a symptoms of the upgrades taking place. These upgrades, while taking place, can cause the time zone issue. This will be resolved in those areas affected as the upgrades near completion. Manually setting the time on the device and changing it from automatic will help a great deal.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

hey, i made a thread over at xda on the nexus 5 e.csfb issue, that helped me -

http://http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/nexus-5-e-csfb-issue-t2729014

from within that, i delved into the inner working of sprint half baked network vision set-up nationwide,

what i found, is that the LTE part is actually an overlay on the cdma / evdo network (with sprint), so in essence, it's two separate networks the triband phones with single radio paths have to inter-roam between (or hand-off) to & from from data to voice services, & why they can't do them both at the same time.. when we  at times saw *roaming* with full LTE service in incoming calls, it wasn't a flux, the nexus 5 was ACTUALLY inter-roaming within the network, from the LTE channel to the 1xrtt channel to serve the call..

somewhere in between, the phone app would get hung up in the processing because there was a fault on the network side -

i suspect when the google dialer froze on incoming calls, it came from the worse case scenario here ( it didn't happen all the tyme, but sporatically) -

"Call setup reliability

Another key issue for the voice call user experience is call

setup reliability—the ability to successfully establish an

incoming or outgoing call on the first attempt, or within

a time frame that doesn’t indicate call setup failure. The

target is to at least match legacy performance, which is

in the 98% range.

With CSFB switching between LTE and 3G networks, there

are two primary challenges to call setup success: changes

in IRAT conditions between measurement and acquisition

(for handover-based CSFB), and mismatches between

LTE and 3G geographic signal coverage areas that require

server-side updates.

Changing IRAT conditions for handover-based CSFB

With handover-based CSFB, IRAT measurements can

change between the time the measurement is taken using

LTE and the time 3G voice network acquisition is attempted.

In that time, the cell identified and prepared for handover

may become unavailable, resulting in connection failure,

as visualized in Figure 10.

In handover-based CSFB, the measurement is performed

before—on average of 0.3 seconds before, as shown in

Figures 7 and 8 above—the IRAT transition. If the IRAT

conditions change negatively, there is a higher probability

of handover failure, especially in high mobility situations.

Historical experience has already shown somewhat

higher failure rates with inter-frequency handover or

IRAT handover (e.g. 3G to 2G), suggesting that delays

between IRAT measurement and network acquisition

can increase setup failures.

In contrast, redirection-based CSFB can be expected to

deliver higher call setup reliability than handover-based

CSFB, simply because redirection-based CSFB takes the

IRAT measurement immediately before attempting access

on the identified cell. Since the Release 9 SI Tunneling

and Release 8 Skip SIBs redirection-based CSFB methods

have only slightly higher call setup times, their higher call

setup reliability has guided the general industry trend to

rely on redirection-based CSFB approaches.

The reliability of redirection-based CSFB call setup has

been tested using device traces in field testing on live 3G

networks, and no call setup failures were observed out

of more than 160 calls, covering both good and bad RF

conditions for redirection-based CSFB to UMTS. These

results point to call setup reliability on par with legacy call

setup reliability. Similar traces collected on the network

side showed redirection-based CSFB reliability in the 99%

range, on par with UMTS legacy performance. Test data

for handover-based CSFB reliability has not yet become

available, due to its limited use to date.

the dialer app froze on totally different parts of town in my home in the suburbs, & inner city at work, i know not the particulars of the kind of sprint sites i was connected to ( was hoping to get that help from s4gur), allowing automatic in system select migitated the dialer freeze on incoming calls, to nil.."

that's where ehrpd comes to play, to *BRIDGE* lte & cdma / 1xrtt for seemless hand-offs, **lte doesn't have the capabilities for circiut switching within it's framework, cdma does, but, lte needs a flattened IP (internet protocol) bridge to evdo data, which then splits to 1xrtt  for voice, for seemless transparent work..

on the time thingy, cdma should provide automatic network time sync from the cell sites to your phone, since those very towers are gps sync'd.. obviously when parked in LTE, that link somehow, was broken..

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat