cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cell is my primary line - I refuse to use Google Voice. Will there be a SPRINT Visual Voicemail for Nexus 5?

Journeyman

My cell is my primary line - I refuse to use Google Voice. Will there be a SPRINT Visual Voicemail for Nexus 5?

Hi, Sprint,

I'm thrilled with my Nexus 5! I'm not even terribly upset that I have to dial my own number for voicemail like I'm not paying for a smartphone or that I have never seen a voicemail notification. It would, however, be VERY nice to have.

I looked into Google Voice, but I feel that the potential reliability problems with routing my primary (ONLY) phone number through a third party make that an unacceptable solution. Please give me a straight answer: WILL SPRINT MAKE THEIR OWN VVM APP COMPATIBLE WITH NEXUS 5? It's not bloatware if it's optional, installed after purchase.

Hello, Fellow Nexus 5 users: Please jump on this thread and chime in if this is your issue as well.

20 REPLIES 20
Master

Re: My cell is my primary line - I refuse to use Google Voice. Will there be a SPRINT Visual Voicemail for Nexus 5?

Sir_Flibberty_Jibbet

Thank you very much for your post. This is currently a known issue with the Nexus 5 and has recently been corrected with a new software update. Do you happen to know what your current version is?

Alex
Sprint Social Care

Re: My cell is my primary line - I refuse to use Google Voice. Will there be a SPRINT Visual Voicemail for Nexus 5?

Despite what the release notes say, the voicemail notification problem was not fixed in the last update.

The VVM question has been asked many times and the answer from Sprint is to use Google Voice so I wouldn't expect an app. There was no app for the Nexus S or the Galaxy Nexus either. The current app Sprint uses needs special code in the OS to work properly...and that isn't going to happen on a Nexus device,

Wizard

Vvm is a 3rd party too.

If you dont like Google Voice use an alternative.. Something like Youmail.

Journeyman

Actually the answer from sprint is that they are working on it and the app is suppose to be available soon.  Until then they are recommending that you forward your unaswered calls to google voice. or to some other competator, which many people find unacceptable.

According to the XDA-developers, the problem isnt with the voice mail app, but instead with sprint

Wizard

People buy Nexus 5 so that they don't have to deal with Sprint crappy software, but few people want Sprint's crappy voicemail on their phone?

Journeyman

Most of the people that purchase the Nexus 5 for use on Sprint Do want the option to use Sprints VoiceMail App.  How the heck can you talk for most people.

dfp123 wrote:

Most of the people that purchase the Nexus 5 for use on Sprint Do want the option to use Sprints VoiceMail App.  How the heck can you talk for most people.

Good point...and how can you do the same thing? There is no way to know what most people want.

Journeyman

Because I did an in depth survey and everyone in my sample thinks that they should at least have the option to use Sprints Voicemail if you are using Sprint as you cell phone company.

Now that they have upgraded other phones to kitkat maybe they will release the apl

Journeyman

Here are the facts. The Nexus 5 D820 (regardless of whether it is purchased from Sprint, from Google Play or from T-Mo) is a True Nexus device. In other words, Sprint doesn't control the apps/OS/Kernel on this phone. Sprint does provide updates for the radio, the PRL, and the network provisioning pieces. All the other software updates are done by Google, and by Google alone. Sprint doesn't interfere with, or delay the software updates that Google provides. There is also no carrier specific software (besides the software related to the radio etc) installed on the Nexus 5.

This means that you do not get Sprint's VM application pre-installed on the phone. Can Sprint update their VM app to support Nexus 5 and then release it onto the Google play store? Sure. Will they? Unlikely.

You can use the Google voice app (without Google Voice Sprint integration) - aka Google Voice Lite. This provides you with a Visual VM styled functionality, with free voice to text transcription. If you are worried about Google being able to access your voicemails, well, why are you on an Android device in the first place?

Journeyman

Here is the facts. Sprint should provide a voicemail app that works with their service.  Just like the other phone componies do.    Google does not do most of the updates,  the app providers do most updates.   There isn't any carrier specific software preinstalled, nor is there all the third party apps pre installed.

If you can read, no one is asking for the app to be preinstalled, just the option to install it. :Like you have with sprints competitiors.  Will they provide one, who knows they tell us that they will but never do.

There are people that can't use google voice.  Again its to bad you havn't read the full discussions on this before you make your comments. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

@dfp123 - you can continue to insist that people can't use google voice - without providing a reason why (note that I am referring to Google Voice Lite - not porting number over to google voice, or to use the GV number instead of Sprint number - but you, I'm guessing DID read that in my post, so you probably know that Google Voice Lite is simply going to work like a voicemail app - similar to what Sprint provides for other devices).

I can understand why some people "won't" use Google Voice lite (that would mean one less thing to whine about - oh the horror!), but there is nothing preventing them from using Google voice lite for voicemail, so stop saying "people can't use Google voice"

For the Google Nexus 5 device, phone companies do not provide Voicemail app. (there are workarounds with T-mo where users can download the voicemail apk from other sources and install it - but again, carrier is NOT providing that, and carrier does not support that).

And even if other companies provide that, you can't really claim that Sprint "should" provide that. For a Google Nexus device, Sprint is under no obligation to do so. Read the product description at Sprint - "Consumers looking for a stripped down, bloat-free phone. The Nexus 5 does not waste your memory on meaningless pre-loaded apps, leaving you the room for your favorite games...". Nowhere in the description does Sprint mention that their voicemail app will be made available to Nexus 5 devices - pre-loaded or from play-store.

Feel free to wait for Sprint to provide you with a visual voicemail app. It will be a long wait.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat