ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5 Carrier lock?

Journeyman

Nexus 5 Carrier lock?

I know out of the box the Nexus 5 is not Carrier locked but is there anything sprint does after activation that makes it unable to activate to a different Carrier? I would like to buy one and after I'm done with my contract I might want to bring it to another carrier.  Would that be possible?

23 REPLIES 23
Wizard

Re: Nexus 5 Carrier lock?

Nope, that's one reason why its a Nexus. You can go between two carriers at anytime.

Master

janob09,

Thank you for posting. The Nexus 5 is an unlocked device. You can bring it to the carriers that it will work on. We do not do anything to the device besides giving you a sim card to be able to use our service. We do not alter, lock or change the phone in anyway. We wouldn't want you to leave. Are you aware that the Nexus 5 is also a Sprint Spark ready device? This is a Tri-Mode device that allows you to utilize all three spectrums of the 4G LTE network.  The three bands that are available in Sprint Spark locations are 4G LTE 800 MHz, 1.9 GHz, and 2.5 GHz.  It will select the best signal for the operation you are performing on your device giving you consistent fast data connections. We hope you would choose to stay with us and experience the good things ahead. 

Thank you, 

Anthony 

Social Care Team 

Journeyman

So from what you are saying I should be able to bring a T-Mobile Nexus 5 and use it on Sprint since it is an unlocked phone, correct?

Journeyman

BoSox26 wrote:

So from what you are saying I should be able to bring a T-Mobile Nexus 5 and use it on Sprint since it is an unlocked phone, correct?

Nope.

Master

BoSox26,

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, Sprint does not guarantee any unlocked device. We can tell you that it will work or not, even if it is able to be activated Sprint does not support unlocked device from other carriers at the moment, although T-Mo devices historically are not compatible with Sprint service.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

SprintCare wrote:

BoSox26,

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, Sprint does not guarantee any unlocked device. We can tell you that it will work or not, even if it is able to be activated Sprint does not support unlocked device from other carriers at the moment, although T-Mo devices historically are not compatible with Sprint service.

Victor
Sprint Social Care

@Victor - The phone is the same from Sprint, Google Play Store and T Mobile, but for some reason, you guys are preventing people from activating the Nexus 5 that people bought from T Mobile, which makes no sense since its the same model phone.  Not sure why, but few reports from people over the internet said it comes invalided, hopefully soon, you'll have an option where customers will ask for their phone that was bought from T Mobile to be used on the network, which allows more new customers and more money for Sprint.

Journeyman

As usually the sprint employees are on top of their game.  They have no clue what they are talking about.

The Nexus 5 will work on every GSM carrier in the US and it will work on Sprint.  When you go to activate the Nexus 5 on Sprint just give them the IMEI number of the phone and you are in Business. 

The Nexus 5 has the requisite radios to work on all the carriers just like the Iphone 4s/5/5c5s.  Sprint has asked Apple to lock down all the GSM radios on the iphone 4s/5/5c.5s.  Unfortunately for Sprint - Google did the American Public a  great service decided to keep everything unlocked.  This is a fabulous phone that lets you move from Carrier to carrier without an issue - put the new SIM care in and Asta la vista Sprint.

Do not tell the Sprint CSR's  anything about T-Mobile, AT&T or any other GSM carrier.  You will just confuse the imbeciles at Sprint.

Journeyman

You need to give the imei without the last digit. I activated my 32gb N5 that I purchased from google no problem. Left off the last digit and had it working in minutes. Hope that helps.

Journeyman

I see on sprints site the nexus 5 doesn't have bloatware. Is this true?

Master

JHILL805,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, the information on the Sprint website is correct, the Nexus 5 doesn't have bloatware.

Eric

Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

So, it is the same exact phone as one purchased from the Play Store? No differences?

Thanks again,

James

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat