Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE

Wizard

Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE

Wizard

MyNameIsJ,

I understand there is alot of frustration involved with this. The information that I provide is what is being relayed to me from our device and network teams. I'll be sure to get you answers as they become available. Your patience is really appreciated.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a 32GB Black Nexus 5 that I purchased from Google Play and activated over the weekend at the Sprint store in Pleasanton, CA.

When I go into *#*#4636#*#* and force LTE Only in Phone info, the radio indicator in the notification area shows me as having four bars of LTE, but the Current network indicator stays in the Searching for Service state and never progresses past this point.

I am however, able to run a ping test on that screen, and while both the "ping hostname" and "http client test" pass, the "ping ipaddr" test fails with "IP addr not reachable".

Is this what others are experiencing as well in markets where you have to force LTE on?

Journeyman

Yes, this is the same issue many are currently having. Look into eCSFB to see how much your area needs to be able to fully use your device. Some areas just need some software, others will most likely need more hardware.

I have the same issues with the same exact phone except I'm in Alexandria, VA 22306 and 22312, my phone at 22306 shows LTE when I update the PRL but I am not getting any signal no matter what I do and I got it to work after updating so many things and doing *#*#4636#*#* but I don't want to do that everytime I have to get a signal. And once I go to work at 22312 I get 3g but then when I get back to 22306 it won't automatically switch to LTE and it'll just stay on 3g. So Sprint, is there anything I can do without having to force one or the other or do *#*#4636#*#* like everytime I need to get one or the other? I need this phone to work and I bought it from the Play Store directly if it helps. Thanks to whoever can fix this!

Journeyman

I'm also not able to connect to LTE on my Nexus 5 in the 02210, 02148 -Boston area.  Also, my network time displayed on the phone shows one hour ahead of the actual time.

Journeyman

Guys, this issue is occurring because the towers in your area have LTE upgraded but not 3G. Once 3G is upgraded LTE will connect fine. Posting your location here will not speed up that process.

Sprint is prioritizing upgrading 3G on sites where LTE is already active in an LTE announced market. If you live in an LTE announced market and are having trouble, the 3G should be upgraded soon, within 90 days and then LTE will connect fine. If you cannot be patient (understandable), you should return your N5 or switch to another carrier. If you do NOT live in an announced LTE market, but you know LTE is live because you got it on your old phone, unfortunately 3G upgrades are NOT being prioritized and you will have to wait longer.

Journeyman

Is this also the cause for the incorrect network time as well?

Journeyman

Not sure about that. Could be a daylight saving time issue. But that is not affecting most people, your report is the first I have heard of it.

Journeyman

I toggled the Network time on and off (using EST when off of network time); the phone shows the correct time while not on network time.

Patron

Delayed reaction, here, but this whole 3G upgrade thing explains why I've been dragging 0.25 Mbps down all this time.  I'm not thrilled at the prospect of waiting out the remainder of my contract with slow 3G and LTE that is only technically available on my phone.  That low(er) cell phone bill and unlimited plan are getting harder and harder to view as a valid benefit. 

Journeyman

I'll just throw it out there that I might be having a similar problem.

I bought my Nexus 5 from a Best Buy in Chicago earlier today.  It works awesome on WiFi, but I can barely get 0.30 Mbps download speed even though the phone says I'm connected to LTE.  I live in Chicago where they've been advertising a huge rollout of this amazing new network Sprint is supposed to have now, but I can't seem to be able to access it or enjoy it.  I called a Sprint rep who had me change my network from Global to LTE, which did nothing, and update my PRL and profile, which also did nothing.  He told me to dial ##72786# which didn't do anything except tell me it's an invalid number.  So, the only thing he could come up with was to send me to a Sprint store tomorrow.  I can let you guys know how that goes, I'm wondering if the person at Best Buy didn't use the proper type of SIM card.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat