cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE

Journeyman

Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE

I should preface this with the fact that, yes, I am in an area covered by Sprint's LTE network

Yesterday I went to a Sprint store (not a third-party, 'authorized retailer') who activated my phone and provided a SIM.  Phone works fine for the most part, I can place calls through Sprint's network and receive data -- however I can't access anything beyond 3G. I never get an LTE signal, despite there being good coverage most places I have been.   Using SignalCheck Lite confirms that I have 'No Connection" to any LTE networks.

I have gone into Settings > Wireless & Networks> Mobile Networks > Network Mode  and have tried both "Global' and "LTE" for preferred network modes.  I have also updated my PRL/system profile.

Do I perhaps have the wrong SIM provided by the Sprint store?  I have a SIMGLW206R

180 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Nexus 5 + SIM card only providing 3G - no LTE

My area has not yet turned on LTE. I have the same SIM card which are only required for LTE phones.

Wizard

It could be that you are in 3G only area and no LTE

Use www.sensorly.com to check if LTE is in your area for Sprint

Journeyman

As I have noted in the first sentence, there is definitely LTE service in this area.

Journeyman

I am having the same issue.

Journeyman

I'm also having the same issue. Was able to connect to LTE in my workplace yesterday with my SGS4. With the Nexus 5, I can only connect to 3G, and that seems very spotty and slow.

Wizard

cswiii,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for this inconvenience. I'd like to review this further. Please send me a private message with the phone number, your name, and the account PIN or security answer. Thanks in advance.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

jwischka dhartman21,

I'd like to review this for you also. Please send me the information as described above.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I am in the same boat.  In an LTE area with only 3G on my 32GB Nexus 5 that was just activated this morning.  I'm experiencing the same symptoms (Data works, calls in and out work, only 3G status).  Any help would be appreciated.

Journeyman

Thanks, I will be getting in touch with you.

For what it's worth, as an additional bit of debugging, I did notice today that if I go to

Settings > Wireless & Networks> Mobile Networks > Network Mode

And flip back and forth from Global to LTE, or vice versa, the LTE signal appears quite momentarily on the signal indicator, before switching over to 3G permanently.

Also note I have tried updating PRL/Profile again, with no better result.

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.