cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5 Voicemail Notification not working

Journeyman

Nexus 5 Voicemail Notification not working

Receive a call, let it go to voicemail and it won't show any type of voicemail notification. Have to dial 1 to go into voicemail to check if I have a voicemail. Can't do Google Voice, because it doesn't work in Puerto Rico. My last Android phone (Gingerbread 2.3) at least I received a visual notification that I had voicemail. Now nada. Besides Google Voice, anyone receives a voicemail notificaction? Any ideas?

90 REPLIES 90
Journeyman

Re: Nexus 5 Voicemail Notification not working

Im on the same boat Google Voice is not available in Puerto Rico and the visual voicemail application is unable to read the sms messages from google hangouts. The application requires an update to work with this device.

Journeyman

Do you at least receive a notification icon indicating that you have voicemail? How do you know you have messages?

Journeyman

Currently nothing. I made a backup of the vvm application from a local store but is not working due to the limitations I mentioned.

Journeyman

OK thanks. If there is an update to that app, and eventually it works for you please reply to the thread.

Journeyman

Same problem for me, no notification for voicemail. I live in the US.

Journeyman

Same here. Voicemail notifications don't come through in a traditional manner. Instead, a text from 9016 is sent to Hangouts; the default SMS app. When I check voicemail via dialer long press 1, voicemail doesn't appear right away. I haven't played with enough yet to narrow down how long it actually takes to appear but when it does, there is no notification of it. Got voicemail on Thursday (because caller told me they left a message) didn't show up in voicemail system until Sunday that I know of.

I wonder if Sprint plans on getting the old voicemail.apk working (Visual Voicemail app).

Journeyman

I tried a voicemail app from Google play store and no luck...maybe kit kat has something to do with this issue...?

Journeyman

I don't think so.

How I understand a smartphone's voicemail setup on Sprint is when the message comes in, a text is composed by VM server and sent to the phone as notification. The VVW app handles the text (9016) and initiates the download of the message to your phone. The voicemail app triggers the notification in taskbar and LED light if applicable.

I don't think the N5 has been added to the VVM system, just like some "dumb" phones aren't as they don't use VVM. If Sprint adds the N5 to the voicemail system, we should be able to install the voicemail.apk and use VVM like on all other Sprint phones.

Of course, this is all just a guess from me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I'd like this fixed because the only way I know if I have a voicemail is if reboot my phone then I get the notification or if I dial into my vmail on my own.

SPRINT - Please fix this!!

Journeyman

I did some additional testing and I notice that I can send message to myself using the VVM application and I can download it but i don't receive any notification at all from external calls

Journeyman

this totally scks.    WHat sort of service is sprint offering us. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat