Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5 from Sprint -- measly subsidy!

Highlighted
Journeyman cbf
Journeyman

Nexus 5 from Sprint -- measly subsidy!

So Sprint will be offering the 16Gb Nexus 5 for $150 with a new 2 year contract.

Google sells the phone direct for $350. This means the contract subsidy is only $200. This compares to the $450 subsidy on a new iPhone 5S.

The most economical thing to do is get a subsidized iPhone 5S on my new Sprint contract, then sell it, sealed in box, on eBay for $600 (seems to be going rate). Buy a Nexus 5 straight from Google for $350 and pocket $250 in cash.

I'm not happy about this. There's another carrier that won't make me go through this nonsense.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Nexus 5 from Sprint -- measly subsidy!

Well, it doesn't help that they jacked up the price of the 16GB model of the Nexus 5 $100 over what Play store is charging. Yes, Sprint is charging $449 for the 16GB model as opposed to Plays $349.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually the subsidy is $200 - the $36 activation fee that you have to pay when you buy the phone from Sprint. And I bet the one that Sprint is selling is locked. And, if you are in a State like California that charges sales tax on the full retail price, you will have to pay tax on $450 if you buy from Sprint but on $350 if you buy from Google Play.

Highlighted
Wizard

That is a nice way to finance the new toy.

I may have to change my current order to iPhone 5s and try it your idea

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, at least in California, you pay only about $100 less buying the subsidized phone from Sprint vs. the Google Play store.

My total price, including tax and shipping, from Google Play was $389.53.

I did a mock order for an upgrade from Sprint, the total price including tax showed as $249.20.  However, you then need to pay the $36 activation fee, bringing the total price up to $285.20. 

Resale value of the unlocked Play Store version will also likely be higher (of course we don't know for a fact that the SIM will be locked on Sprint, but history tells us that it will be.)

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat