Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5X/6P on Sprint

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus 5X/6P on Sprint

The Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P can only be purchased from Google directly.  This allows you to go to any network without having to sign a contract.  However, is there a way to buy one of these phones and start a new 2 year contract with Sprint to get a discount on your monthly rate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Nexus 5X/6P on Sprint

most of the carriers are moving to a lease deal rather than the usual 2 year contracts..i know Verizon has started this as well as Sprint..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
GrandMaster

most of the carriers are moving to a lease deal rather than the usual 2 year contracts..i know Verizon has started this as well as Sprint..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

This likely won't happen for these devices, unfortunately. There really isn't any benefit for Sprint to do so, especially considering the relatively low price of these phones to be purchased outright.

The industry is in a shift towards consumer-subsidized devices (read: monthly payments) or leased devices from the carrier (you rent it for a monthly rate and must return the device if you choose to leave the carrier). It sucks for people who are satisfied with their carrier and have no reason to move.

But you can make monthly payments on these devices when you sign up for Project Fi! [sorry sprint!]

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone know if WiFi calling will be enabled on the 5X?

What are the steps to take in order to activate a 5X on Sprint, once I receive it?

Thanks!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i doubt it.sprint wifi calling is only on devices branded by sprint. since the nexus line doesnt contain any carrier stuff this would include WFC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks.  That's what I figured.  Maybe another look at TMo is warranted?  WiFi calling would be very useful to me because I find myself in areas with poor Sprint coverage from time to time -- poor enough to make texting and phone calls difficult, but not poor enough to trigger roaming.  I can't force roam on Sprint either.  Sorry to rant.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

true but i dont remember any other carriers pushing wifi calling..heck most that i venture into have posters flipping out because Sprint has wifi calling..why cant they lol.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

for what its worth

Nexus 5x and 6p

Highlighted
Journeyman

WiFi calling may be available through an app on your phone, even if Sprint hasn't enabled the Android version of WiFi calling. I believe the Xfinity app has WiFi calling that works on an HTC One (oldest version).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not familiar with an Xfinity app, so I did a Google search and read a few things.  Evidently, that's all about using your phone to make calls using your Xfinity phone number, assuming you have an Xfinity account.  I may have this wrong, but I don't have an Xfinity account, so I doubt it would work for me.

I'm looking to place calls over wifi using my Sprint phone number.  My understanding is that Sprint has to provide software to run on the phone for that to be possible.  I have the HTC One M7 now, and they won't allow wifi calling on it.  Since they don't make any money on the N5X, I doubt they'll provide the software for it, either.  They only provide it on certain phones.

You can use Google Voice to make wifi calls on any Android phone, but unless you choose to integrate Sprint and Google Voice, you end up using your Google Voice number.  Integration comes with baggage I don't want, so I'm not going to do that, either.

Thanks, though, for the suggestion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This does answer my question as I was just browsing the site for the 5X. Now after buying the 5X I wanted to add it to my exiting plan but with a number from another carrier. Would I do this by calling them or going to a Sprint store ?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello everyone just wanted to give everyone a heads up i ordered my 6p 128gb on nov 6th an i called sprint care to make sure i keep my same data plan (im unlimited ) and they said yes i keep my 3g and 4g speeds also i can cover my phone thru tep protection cuz im transferring my number to the 6p from my s6 an its all ported to my 6p hope this helps and i hope everyone enjoys their 6p i know i will happy holidays everyone

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat