cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wi-Fi on my unrooted device - on any version of Android

Journeyman

No Wi-Fi on my unrooted device - on any version of Android

The Wi-Fi on my wife's unrooted Nexus 5 which was upgraded (via OTA) to Marshmallow last month suddenly stopped working last week.  The slider would get hung while moving from Off to On (like it was trying to turn on) and therefore was not detecting any available Wi-Fi signals.

After trying many things, I eventually did the extreme and did a full factory data reset.  No dice.  Still not detecting anything.

Figuring it might be an OS issue with Marshmallow (given we're seeing a lot of forums indicating Nexus 5 issues based on Wi-Fi with both Marshmallow and Lollipop), we downgraded the OS to both Lollipop and then all the way back to KitKat (4.4).  Still not working.   At initial phone setup, the phone is not detecting any available WiFi signals.

Any other tips out there on what I can try?  Is this a sure sign of hardware problems.  Don't think my wife's phone is under warranty any longer (have had it slightly over a year, I think).

PS - Now I can no longer even upgrade the phone (OTA, at least) from 4.4.4 because my phone is saying it needs Wi-Fi to download the update - with no option to do it over my data plan.

2 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: No Wi-Fi on my unrooted device - on any version of Android

I have the exact same issue as well as a friend with a the same phone on sprint. It started 2 Sundays ago. We live in Iowa in the Des Moines area. I thought it was a hardware issueissue, but knowing someone else under the same circumstances has the issue, it has to be with Sprint, right? Either way, 3 Nexus 5's with the same issue. Please fix asap!

GrandMaster

Re: No Wi-Fi on my unrooted device - on any version of Android

why would Sprint have ANYTHING to do with the phones wifi? mobile or voice signal? sure..wifi isnt their deal. that is a phone issue. cant remember who made the N5 but you might check out their site for people reporting the same issues and if there have been any reports of fixes or work arounds.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.