cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Ambassador: Spigen Ultra Fit for the Nexus 5

Sprint Product Ambassador

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be writing about my experiences with the Nexus 5 and thought I would start with the case I purchased.   After being a big fan of Casemate over the years I've quickly became a Spigen fan lately due to the numerous protective options they provide and the quality of their products.    Here I'll be highlighting the Spigen Ultra Fit because I'm partial to cases that minimize their impact on the device design.

Ultra Fit Form Factor

Let's start off by level setting who would be good candidates for this type of case besides me.  If you meet these two criteria this is your type of case:

1.  Design matters-  you prefer a slim profile, are concerned about the amount of girth added by a case, and still like to see the original design of the device shine through.

2.  You are easy on devices-   If you work a desk job, are coordinated, and drops seldom occur.  This case will cover your backside, the corners, and device profile quite well but won't be as comprehensive as the larger cases on the market.

If you are familiar with Casemate's "Barely There" series of cases you will find the Spigen's "Ultra Fit" line very similar.   Here is a quick pic I pulled off of the internet along one I took that does a good job of illustrating the case's overall form factor and how the size addition is kept to a minimum:

profile.jpg

profile+2.jpg

Design Features:

There are a couple of design features that I want to highlight that caught my eye and in turn explains why I've been a return customer with Spigen:

1.  Precise Cut Out Design Philosophy-   ever ordered a cheap case case excited because you saved a dollar but when you slap it on it completely or partially covers one of your device's features?   Won't be the case hear, pun intended, as each one of Spigen's case lines have what they term "Precise Cut-Outs".   They aren't kidding when they say precise either, I'm on my second Ultra Fit case for two different devices and a Hybrid Armor for an HTC One M8 and each one are dead on.  The fit produced by their craftsmanship is really good, never intrusive to any of the functions of the physical buttons and are formed to highlight each so they are easily located.    

2.  Soft Matte Coating/Nexus Inspired Texture-  If I haven't harped enough on design yet please allow me to continue.   The single biggest reason why I like Spigen is because they don't mask the design of the device they cover but rather take the approach of being complementary to it's design.   In the instance of the Nexus 5 they payed particular attention to the materials used on the device and in particular how it feels.  Paying homage to the back plate of the Nexus 5 Spigen employed the same texture and soft matte materials to make the case feel as it if was a natural extension of the device.  In addition to feeling like a nature fit the surface layer won't fade or rub off fighting the tendency of aged cases to discolor and show wear.   Design that complements the applicable device and ages well, nice complementing features.

If you have been a Casemate "Barely There" fan in the past or even those cheap TPC options I would highly encourage you to give Spigen's alternative a shot.   You will get a higher quality product for a very reasonable price making it a great solution for any device, but in particular the Nexus 5. 

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.