cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does data (LTE or 3G) work while talking on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Does data (LTE or 3G) work while talking on the phone for the Nexus 5 Google Play Edition?

Reasons Sprint switching to NO simultaneous voice and data after many years makes the Sprint phone useless.

Virtually all my calls require simultaneous voice and data: The person(s) I am talking to want to

…. : 1) Discuss an email

2) Receive or send a picture or document that we are talking about

3) Send a text or email while we are talking.

4) Look at my map because they are lost.

5) Look at the internet with them and discuss.

6) Pull up my calendar during a discussion.

7) Reference internet information to keep the conversation going.

OR

😎 While driving and talking I need to start to navigate.

9) Everybody using my hotspot gets dropped when a call comes in.

TODAY talking,  is talking about data.

PS: Verizon offers the Nexus 5 with G4 speed and voice over data

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Wizard

Instead of complaining, you should go shopping and find a new provider and a new phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When did Verizon offer support for Nexus 5?

Highlighted

Sprint did not switch to no simultaneous voice and data. You can still get plenty of phones that will support it. The limitation is due to the chip used in triband phones. In non triband phone there are 2 chips, one for CDMA and one for LTE and both can transmit at the same time. In a triband phone CDMA and LTE are in the same chip and there is only one transmission path meaning only one can be active a time. This is the case with ALL carriers, not just Sprint. However on a GSM carrier, you will still have 3G on a call, but not LTE. CDMA has never supported voice and data at the same time and is a limitation of the technology. The only way it works is when there is a separate chip for 4G.

Verizon does not support the Nexus 5 and if they did the result would be the same as Sprint since they also use CDMA.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If it is not too late, return that phone and get one that is not a "Sprint Spark" network capable phone.  That's what they are calling there tri-band network.  There are plenty of good non-Spark phones.  Even though you lose voice/data, you gain a big improvement in data speed, coverage, and reliability, especially indoors.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seank: We did as you suggested .... See above last line the PS: Verizon offers the identical phones with Voice over IP

Journeyman

Coasterphotos: You are technically correct, To improve your understanding of this problem BUT from the customers viewpoint ...

1) Identical (to the customer) phones sold by Verizon have simultaneous voice over data.

2) All my sprint phones for the last 4 of more years have had simultaneous voice and data.

3) All new phones do not offer Simultaneous, that is what is meant to the customer as "switched" to a unusable service.

4) What is worst for a customer is to have all the Sprint support staff (in person and by phone) argue with you for months that you are wrong, because they don't realize the data they are talking about is coming when you are close to a wifi point that you can use.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Coasterphoto has it right. The Spark phones technically won't work. Sprint has realized what a big mistake they made by trying to save a buck by not offering the same chip as Verizon with the two transmitters. So Sprint is trying to come up with a Voice over IP (VOIP) as a work-around due to the millions of customers who have left them in the last few months. There are problems there as you may know if you ever used Skype, or any VOIP, the voice  (or data) gets lagged during heavy data. Since both are sharing one channel.

Highlighted
Master

Owlpic, If you need any assistance regarding your account, please let me know -Saul, Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

Owlpic, If you need any assistance, please let us know. We're ready to help you. - Saul, Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

Owlpic, Just remember, we're here for you to help you answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Saul
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Wizard

@Owlpic Sure you did, last I checked the Nexus 5 isn't on Verizon and isn't allowed along with not having both voice and data at the same time. Nice try....

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat