cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM CARD

Journeyman

SIM CARD

I was chatting with a representative about getting a SIM card for my Nexus 5, and they told me they dont do it online anymore and that I have to go to the store and activate my phone. Meaning I would have to pay and activation fee, of but the sim card would be free!!! how is it free if I'm paying $36. is this correct, If so as much as it sucks I will be leaving this place for good. I'd been a good customer through the crappy 4G mistake to the only in certain areas LTE. And they trying to charge people $36 for a SIM card!! COME ON!

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Wizard

Re: SIM CARD

Where did you get your phone from? Sprint? Google Play Store? I didn't pay anything for two Nexus 5 phones at all, even though every rep, said I would.

Journeyman

my bad I should had said that. I got it from the Google store. Did you get the SIM card from the store? I havent tried the store, was kind of upset when the rep said I had to pay!

Highlighted
Wizard

Play Store, and got it off the international chat, right when the phone was released. I was also told by a manager that if you buy a phone from the manufacture, Sprint won't charge an activation fee because it didn't come from Sprint.

If you have a Galaxy S4, HTC One or Note 3, you should be able to use the same sim card.

Journeyman

Alright thanks, Will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks man

Wizard

Welcome! I know the feeling, such a pain in the butt. Post back and let me know what happens.

Master

JUGGERNAUT4,

Thank you for your post. I would be happy to help. It is correct that there is a $36 activation fee to activate any phone on the Sprint network. The activation fee would be charged wether the phone is activated online or in a Sprint store.

*Stephanie

Sprint Social  Care Team

Journeyman

SprintCare wrote:

JUGGERNAUT4,

Thank you for your post. I would be happy to help. It is correct that there is a $36 activation fee to activate any phone on the Sprint network. The activation fee would be charged wether the phone is activated online or in a Sprint store.

*Stephanie
Sprint Social  Care Team

This is incorrect.

If the phone is bought from the Google Play store, there is NO fee from Sprint to activate this new phone.

If the phone is a used phone, there is NO fee from Sprint to activate this used phone.

To request a SIM card you can do it a few ways, if you have the phone already, go to a Sprint Repair store (owned by Sprint, not third party), they will activate it for you.

But the easiest way is to contact Sprint International Support.

Sprint webpage here: Live Chat

They will send you for one free, just tell them you have a Nexus5 and need a Sprint MICRO SIM card.

Monday - Friday:  06:00 AM - 11:00 PM CST

Saturday - Sunday:  09:00 AM - 09:00 PM CST

http://sprintworldwide.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

Journeyman

Really Stephanie? No there is no activation fee when activating a phone you bought from somewhere for full price.

If this is the case your telling me if I move phones around on my account ill get hit with an activation fee?

Well news flash Ive been doing this for yeas and have yet get hit with an activation fee.

The only time there is an activation fee is if its a new line of service or using an upgrade.

Buying the Nexus 5 straight out from google.com/nexus/5 for 350+ and then activating it on sprint will not charge an activation fee.

Master

JUGGERNAUGHT4,

Thanks for all of your posts, were you able to get a sim card and activate your device?

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

Master

mikeeper,

There is an activation fee on any new device with a new line of service. There is also an upgrade fee if you upgrade the line and purchase a new device including one purchased at another third party retailer at full price.  If you are just moving a phone around from one number to another then no there is no additional fee to do so.  The only way to avoid an activation fee OR an upgrade fee is to activate a previously owned device. Other than that, you are subject to this fee unless you receive a corporate discount that waives this as part of the agreement with Sprint or there is some sort of promotion.  The Nexus 5 purchased via Google is subject to this fee as well.

Dania

Social Care

Journeyman

It doesn't make any sense if Sprint charges you activation fee or upgrading fee if you purchase the device at the full price without any subsidy. At least, AT&T will waive it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat