cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador: Google Camera - Fixing the Dreaded Vertical Videos in Life

Sprint Product Ambassador

As some of you may remember, my son was recently enrolled in swimming lessons. My wife, wanting to keep the memories, recorded each and every lesson. The problem is that she recorded everything with the phone in portrait mode. Why this is an issue, we'll discuss later on. Today, we were are my nephew's birthday party. My brother-in-law points at his beloved and remarks how he's tried to get her to stop recording in portrait mode. Looking over my Facebook feed, I noticed that the majority of my friends do the same!

So why is recording vertically [in portrait mode] so bad? While a printed photo can easily be turned and displayed in portrait mode, you can't just turn your TV or computer monitor on its side. This leads to you watching a very skinny video with giant black bars to the left and right of the video.

So say no to this:

And say yes to this:

Mind you, both of those videos were taken from the same device (not my current Nexus 5 so please do not dunk your Nexus 5's into water.)

That being said, Nexus 5 users will notice that if you try to take a video with your phone in portrait mode, the phone will gentle remind you to tilt your phone back to landscape.

Video recording in Portrait / Vertical mode:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-19-21-41-25.png

Landscape / Horizontal mode:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-19-21-42-03.png

As you can see in the two images above, if you try to record a video in portrait mode, you will have an animated visual reminder that you are recording the video the wrong way. And this is brilliant. Thank you Google!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.