cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Spark on Nexus 5 in Chicago-area not working?

Master

Re: Sprint Spark on Nexus 5 in Chicago-area not working?

Peter_Muiznieks

Can you make sure that you have the latest firmware on the phone? The previous firmware KOT49H had fixed the voicemail indicator and so has the newest firmware KTU8AM. Check if you have the updated firmware.

Lindale
Social Team
Journeyman

I am not getting the voicemail notification either. Never have, and I have had this phone since November. Not on KOT49H or the new KTU84M. I doubt there is anything that SprintCare can do though except escalate. No amount of rebooting, re-provisioning, or updating the profile has done anything to solve this for anyone since the Nexus5 was launched. My guess would be that there is some proprietary code that Sprint is able to put on their phones that Google is not putting on the Nexus5.

Back on topic:

After the KTU84M update, that included a new baseband (radio controlling code), I also have been getting dropped LTE throughout the Northwest side of the city and suburbs. It is believed that, now that all three LTE bands have been enabled on the Nexus5, when the signal is weak on band25 (primary LTE band we have been enjoying) instead of handing off nicely to one of the other two bands we are instead dropped to 3G. This may be because there is believed to be an issue with the current eCSFB configurations on the other two bands not allowing the Nexus5 to stay connected for more than a second or two until getting kicked to 3G. Maybe someone at SprintCare can do some digging on this and let us know for sure and if/when it will be addressed.

Master

bike2work,

Let's figure this out! May I have your cross streets and zip code? Also have you completed a network re-settings on your device? On the dial pad enter ##72786#. We are also having issues with spark device staying connected to LTE network we are working as quickly as possible for a resolution. Please also try toggling from air-plan mode on and off after see if that pushes it.

Stephanie P
Social care
Journeyman

I have tried the airplane toggle and that will only work if I travel back into a strong band25 LTE area. When the Nexus5 drops to 3G it will stay there until some amount of time is passed and then the phone will look for LTE again on it's own. Toggling airplane mode resets the timer and tells the phone to look for LTE again. If I am still in a weak band25 LTE area I still connect to 3G only. Also, for reference, on the Nexus5, the codes get entered with *#*#xxxx#*#* format, not ##xxxx# as you have listed above. *#*#72786#*#* and not ##72786#

Fortunately where I reside I get a strong signal on band25 LTE. It's when I'm out and about that I now frequently drop to 3G instead of being handed off to band26 or band41 (new Spark bands). Since the new baseband included in the KTU84M update (M8974A-2.0.50.1.13) doesn't pick up the band25 signal as strong as some previous basebands, I am finding myself on 3G more around the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. I am planning a move to the city though and am looking in the 60640 zipcode at N. Damen Ave and W. Foster Ave where I believe there is a tower close that is showing Spark according to your (Sprint's) map. Can you tell me the status of that area?

Also I will try to remember any areas where I loose LTE in the areas I travel to locally and update you as to where they are.

Journeyman

Nexus 5, and have updated to Android 4.4.3 latest version. I have done the *#*#72786#*#* and updated carrier profile and restarted. I have done this numerous times and have not noticed a diff. in network speeds. I have downloaded speedtest app and signalcheck that one of your Sprintcare assoc. recommended on a forum. I viewed a furom when one also suggested *#*#33284#*#* to prioritize band 41 to activate Spark but I require the MSL code to do so. which is why I requested initially. I have been with sprint for two months and have called customer care in regards to signal issues. Can I get this resolved please.

Master

bike2work,

The tower at N. Damen Ave and W. Foster Ave 60640 has the 4G 1900 mhz. The spark 25 is scheduled in the next few months. If you have other locations to look at for you. Give the cross streets and zip code. We'll give you the updates. Thanks for your help.

Thank you,
April
Master

alexrdz82,

Thanks for the info. An update to address this issue was sent out over the network on 6/2/2014. If you have not received this update yet please be patient. We send upgrades out in chunks as to not overwhelm the network.

Sean L
Social Care
Journeyman

i have the update which i informed in my previous message. I do have the update 4.4.3 Ktu84m

Journeyman

Same here, no band 26 at all. My nexus 5 has been useless for data ever since spark was first released, when I'd make a call it would go to roam before using sprints own voice band & now I realize why, it seems that my phone always had a problem with switching back to voice & instead of the 800 MHz CDMA it would roam to Verizon's voice band & then fall into sprints 1.9 GHz CDMA voiceband. My phone or sprint network has had a problem switching to 800 MHz even now it won't access it, but it does access band 25,& 41... Pretty pathetic that I stuck around for 5 months with this problem *calls going straight to voicemail* to see if spark was worth the wait & it sorry if is since I've been downloading at 25 to 45 MBS average & 50 to 60 & even 73 MBS peak. But I can imagine what I'm missing out on with band 26 lte useless. I'm thinking of going T-Mobile which I really don't want to buy it'd one problem after the other.

Journeyman

Hi sprintcare, I'm having the same issue with band 51. I'm usually downloading between 20-45 MBS with peaks @ 73 MBS down with band 41.I always had a problem getting on the 800 MHz voice band on my Nexus 5 & would usually have incoming calls sent to voicemail & when making a call get into roaming then switch to band 25 to get into sprints network. Now with the update I'm able to make calls & stay on sprints network without having to go threw roaming to start the call but it goes to band 51. I've been sent text messages from Sprint with the message stating that I'm in a full spark enabled area & can basically go threw the whole Brooklyn borough along with most of queens & mangosteen without rarely getting off band 41. But I've yet to get on band 26...I'm Williamsburg, Brooklyn between kent ave. & the east river on north 6 st, please help. I've started with sprint waiting to see if it's worth the wait before making the decision to go somewhere else & seems like it is but would like to have everything working if I'm to stay. Data was very slow before Android 4.4.3 & I mean slower than 3G. So now I can say it was not the network but the phone modem settings & I still believe it's the settings that are limiting my access to band 26.

Highlighted
Master

Dear Jonathan Q,

Thank you for your post. I can assure you that we are working with Samsung regarding this issue. Have you tried putting the phone into Airplane mode and then taking it out. This will force the phone to connect to our towers. Also, you might want to turn off roaming if it is happening a lot. Let us know if this works for you.

Sincerely,

Annmarie
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

That's the thing, roaming is off, I have an LG nexus 5 so the roaming setting setting is set the "home only", not automatic. But it forces roaming either way, like I said I believe switchback or the modem settings just can't access band 26 so it roams to Verizon, then after about 5 seconds it jumps onto band 51 or 25, before nexus 5 recurved the 4.4.3 update it would do the same thing except it would go to band 25 only. That's why I believe that my phone never could of accessed 800 MHz CDMA & even less now 800 MHz lte which is annoying to know your device isn't being used at its most efficient. Today I lost the ability to access the network all together, I can't call, receive calls/texts, nor check my voicemail. Please help me fix these problems, thank you.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat