cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is why the Nexus 5 isn't getting LTE in some markets

Journeyman

This is why the Nexus 5 isn't getting LTE in some markets

The Nexus 5 is not getting LTE in some markets. There isn't anything wrong with your device. It is a network problem associated with the LTE / NV upgrade.  Read this outstanding article. It provides all of the explanation you'll ever need: http://s4gru.com/index.php?%2Fblog%2F1%2Fentry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte...

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: This is why the Nexus 5 isn't getting LTE in some markets

It would be fantastic if Sprint could officially respond to this article and give some insight into when we might expect the situation to be resolved in the various affected markets.

Journeyman

Yes, it would be nice if they could respond. (insert crickets chirping)

Journeyman

storreypdx, I like you am getting tired of the terrible service in Portland, OR too :/ the fact my Nexus 5 is stuck on 3G constantly because they have left half the market running legacy 3G is beyond unreasonable. I'm pretty certain if we get a response it is just going to be a canned message asking for our cross streets or telling us it takes a long time to upgrade their network. Funny they told me last year that we would be seeing solid service in Portland by 2014.

Master

Hey benjamin.kerensa
Thank you for reaching out. I know that asking you this info is not what you want to hear but I would like to check out the area so if you could please provide the info. We can get to the bottom of this.
Speak with you soon

Thanks,

Krishel
Social Care

Journeyman

Sure,

I live at NE 78th and NE Glisan in Portland, OR 97213. The trouble is not isolated to there though like other commenters have suggested the service is pretty terrible city wide and honestly it got worse last summer when the Network Vision upgrades were underway. Back then we had slow but somewhat reliable 3G. Now we have pockets of LTE in various areas that is slow and 3G that is slow and often not working at all.

Sprint sent a tech to do a driveby and confirmed these issues months ago and even gave me a 25% discount for a year and promised me they would finish upgrading towers by 2014. Well its now 2014 and I have dealt with terrible service and Sprint has not come through while competitors (AT&T and T-Mobile are offering to buy out contracts right now)

So unless I get a solid answer as to when service is going to improve I'm either going to take that offer from a competitor like many Sprint customers are doing or wait till my contract ends in a few months and move over.

We shouldn't have to wait years for reliable service and get vague canned messages about continuing upgrades. Give me some solid info on whats going on and why eCSFB is not supported in Portland, OR and when I can expect to get LTE on my Nexus 5.

Master

benjamin.kerensa

Thank you very much for that information. I checked the location you provided and show that a service tower is currently down for maintance. Our technicians are working as quickly as possible to get this resolved in a timely manner.

Regarding your question as to when upgrades will be complete in your area. I wish I could provide you with a specific timeline however because so many factors have to be in place before work can even begin a date can not be given.

Alex
Sprint Social Care

Master

storreypdx,

Thanks for the post. How has your device been while on LTE? Have you had the chance to get it connected?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

In order to get LTE at all on the Nexus 5 I have to go into the phone's testing menu using *#*#4636#*#* and manually switch it to LTE only. Of course when I do that, I cannot receive calls. I have tested LTE using this method a while ago and was able to get the same LTE speeds I used to get with my EVO 4G LTE. The EVO 4G LTE has SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE (Long Term Evolution)) though whereas the Nexus 5 does not. The Nexus 5 as you may recall is a tri-band phone that relies on eCFSB. Unfortunately Portland, OR towers don't have eCFSB enabled so I all I can get is 3G by default.

Journeyman

well, they're scared to death to push the envelope over there -

that you've **plugged that blog** let me ask you;

[inappropriate link removed]

everyone that has read it, is now aware of WHAT'S going on,

**but why stop there?**

why?

it would be very self defeative in mindset, to believe there's nothing more to understand than WHAT'S happened, no further than that..

what usually follows that school of thought, is, *there's nothing i can do about* in-line with the blog..

to follow that line of thinking,  would have one believe lg placed faulty handsets (that DON'T operate as they were designed) out on the market on a perfect sprint network (that operates as it SHOULD) - but we know that's not the case;

on that site, i have it opened in another tab - it states;

S4GRU MISSION STATEMENT:

"To provide a forum for discussion and education about wireless spectrum, networks, and Sprint Network Vision, in particular, in an online community that is mature, intelligent, and free from uncritical negativity."

The mission statement is very important to us, because it is the foundation for which all rules and guidelines stem from. S4GRU endeavors to maintain the mission statement as our core philosophy and only consider rules and actions in context within the mission statement.

~if that's true & is the case~

(this thread will NEVER see the light of day over at s4gru if their mission statement's a front, i have my suspicions why)

why stalemate to WHAT'S happening , & not delve further & push the envelope, into WHY the handsets & network inter-act like so?

**WHY is sprint's ecsfb creating issues with the newer qualcomm based single chipped, single pathed phones??**

(which is the point of this thread's birth)

for solution sake..

[inappropriate link removed]

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines:  http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-admin-blog/blog/2010/01/01/sprintcom-comm...

Thanks for your participation in the forums!

Journeyman

help me out here for clarity;

you let a link stay explaining WHAT'S happening with the network with this csfb,

but when i posted a link prividing info on WHY it happens, it gets trashed?

why do you leave so many subscribers in the dark?

let many know that there's NOTHING wrong with the handsets..

Master

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat