cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What plans will be available for the Google Play Store Nexus 5

Journeyman

Re: What plans will be available for the Google Play Store Nexus 5

The phones where put on my existing lines.  I called tonight, there was no activation fee, nor was there a future activation fee.  It's a good thing too, as one foot is out there door already.

Highlighted
Wizard

DudeType16 -

It sounds like you got a rep that errored in your favor.

If I may ask, what is going on to make you unhappy?

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Let's see, how about Sprint's employees complete ineptitude?  The store employees do not know the products. They are rude. The phone reps don't know the products. This entire launch has been filled with contradictory information. Even me paying a penalty is contradictory.

I promise, if a charge for activating a phone, that I paid for, in full, shows up on my account, I will pay the ETF, and cancel all 4 of my families lines, and walk.

Add that to the fact that 4G is pathetic in my area, there isn't much reason for me to stay. I have been here for my entire cellphone life.  It costs too much for service that sucks this bad, and now may have fees tacked on that I should not pay.

Sprint has lost nothing on my Nexus 5, Sprint has no business charging me an activation fee.  I activated the phone online.

Wizard

DudeType16 -

Thank you for explaining the details to me. I can certainly report reps that have been rude to you if you provide me the information such as store number, rep name, date/time of interaction and details. We do not tolerate customers being treated rudely by reps.

We can certainly help you here to clarify any questions you may have on products. That is what we are here for.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our network nationwide as well as expanding on our LTE. The transition can be rough but it isn't forever. I can check on the progress of the upgrades in your area if you provide me with your zip and cross streets.

The activation fee offsets the charges that are accrued to activate/provision a new device on the towers. This is for any new device that has not been activated on the network previously. If you were told that you weren't going to be charged, we can back that.

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Hi Kitty,

If I'm  understanding correctly, as a current customer if I buy the Nexus 5 on Google Play, my contract will not extend.  However, when it ends in April, I believe I will have to continue to pay the same monthly fee as I'm currently paying (which technically includes a phone subsidy).  I'd like to be on the much less expensive  Sprint As You Go plan, and feel I should be able to since I'm paying for my own phone.

I looked at the One Up plan, which seems to be even MORE than I'm paying now, and again includes a contract and phone fee (or am I misreading this?).

Right now, I could buy a Nexus 5 and when my contract with Sprint is up, take it over to AT&T, T-Mobile, or others, and pay a much lower rate for unlimited minutes and data that does NOT include a contract or a phone subsidy charge.

I'm hoping Sprint comes around and offers an option like this, as I'd much prefer to stay here, all else being equal.

Unless I'm still misunderstanding something?

Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

Hi again Kitty,

Looking at the One Up plan more closely, it involves an $88 dollar up-front phone fee, plus a $27/month ongoing phone fee.  Since I will have purchased my own phone, I don't feel I should be subject to those fees.  If you bring your own phone, are they waived?

Otherwise, I'd still be wanting the Sprint As You Go plan...

Thanks again,

Gayle

Wizard

GoGayleGo -

To clarify, the phone subsity is not included in the rate plan. The phone subsity is in the early termination fee. When your contract ends, you can continue on the current plan you have month to month or you can change the plan without a contract. Unfortunately, the Nexus 5 can not be placed on the Sprint As You Go plans as our systems will not recoginze it as a prepaid device.

Which plan are you currently on? Do you currently have an employer discount?

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

GoGayleGo -

I can understand the confusion with the One Up program. The deposit and installment plan is only if you purchase the device. Activating the your own device, you will not have these fees.

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Hi Kitty,

I'm currently on the Everything Data 450 plan ($69.99), with mandatory Premium Data ($10).  I have a 10% discount.

My contract doesn't end until April.  So if I buy the phone now and activate it, I stay on my current plan.

What would happen in April if I wanted to switch to One Up?  Can you spell out for me what I'd need to do, what the costs would be, and whether or not there is a contract involved?

Thanks!

Gayle

Journeyman

I am not a Sprint employee, but let me tell you the way I think this plays out.

The one up program is just the My Way Unlimited plan with a $15 discount for as long as you are paying for a phone.  Once the phone is paid off you go back to the $80/mo plan for unlimited talk/text/data. If you have your own device, the One up is useless as the discount is only when you are paying for a device monthly.

What I want Sprint to realize is that $65/month is the perfect plan for BYOD no contract pricing.  This beats out T-Mobile, which is getting more customers every quarter and Sprint is losing customers.  BYOD is new to Sprint as there have been no "unlocked" phones available to work on Sprint network.  What I want Sprint to picture is all the phones that were purchased from Sprint under a contract, that are now 2 years old.  People only have one option and that is to sell the phone back to Sprint.  If you sell it on Ebay or elsewhere, Sprint does not allow that phone to be activated without a contract.  MVNO's are fine, but I want to pay Sprint monthly, not some MVNO.  This has to be in the roadmap, or Sprint will lose out on what T-Mobile and others are pioneering.

Wizard

GoGayleGo -

I can certainly break it down for you. On your current plan, you are paying $73 for just the plan after your discount and before taxes and fees. To sign up for the One Up program, you would just need to move to the Unlimited, My Way plan. I calculated that by moving to the plan, your rate would actually go up to $77 for just the plan after your discount and before taxes so that might not be the best decision for you as you are trying to lower your bill. The One Up program does have a discount off the plan but that is only when you have purchased a device and have an installment plan which is not what you are doing.

With either option, staying on the plan you are on or moving to the Unlimited, My Way plan for the One Up program, there will not be a contract extension.

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

savageman13 -

I understand your frustration and I have submitted your suggestion about the BYOD program. To clarify, the only time activating a used device will require a contract extension is when it is a new line of service. If the line is already active, the customer will not be required to extend their contract and it will not effect their upgrade eligibility.

- *Kitty

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat