cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Sprint always only offer the lowest capacity phone options?

Journeyman

Why does Sprint always only offer the lowest capacity phone options?

This has been a gripe of mine with this company for YEARS now, and it's getting to be a big pain. So much so, I'm probably ditching Sprint after more than a decade. Just hate not having all the consumer options possible.

Simply put: Sprint got the Samsung Galaxy S4, and has only offered it in 16GB versions. When I went to the Sprint store not long after launch, the obviously-not-well-educated-salesperson asked me: Well...why do you need more space? REALLY? Do I need to tell them that by default the OS takes up almost half of that 16GB, and that Android had made a change in the base OS that prevented users from pushing out apps to the SD card? Now that has changed with an update, so now you can once again move apps off the phone's storage, but I fear this change was made to mitigate the fact that Sprint decided to NOT stock the 32 or 64GB versions of this device.

This is sad, because according to many sources of late, they ARE planning on getting at least the 32GB one, but my god - WHEN? The phone has been out most of this year, so even if it comes in time for Christmas, that's really a day late and a dollar short, as the S5 will most likely be coming not that far down the line. Thanks Sprint for being on top of the issue, LOL.

Now here comes history repeating itself with more of the same with the upcoming launch of the NEXUS 5. I only see pre-orders possible for the 16GB version. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE, SPRINT? Stop forcing people on to the entry-level versions of most of the new phones you get. The power user subset of your customer base demands, and deserves, more options. What, are we supposed to wait a few months until you maybe decide to add a larger capacity phone to this lineup? Why do your customers have to endure this, when all other carriers that carry these phones already offer the larger capacity versions? This is ridiculous.

And then you wonder why you are the #3 cell phone carrier. Wake up, and give the people what they want....besides yet another iPhone option (4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c - enough).

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Why does Sprint always only offer the lowest capacity phone options?

What update is now allowing users to move apps back to SD? Is it only on the Galaxy series? I'm running a Photon Q 4G and its so sluggish. Would love to move apps to SD.

I agree with you about Sprint only offering the lowest capacity models. Its annoying and its why I purchased the 32Gb Nexus 5 from the Play Store.

Wizard

il_pescatore,

Thank you for your post regarding the capacities offered with several of the initially offered models.  The product development team as well as the manufacturers seek these kind of suggestions from our customer base and it is in forums like this that the seeds of change are spawned.  Quite frankly the models made available are based on supply and demand.  32gb and 64gb model devices do not sell quite as many units as does the lower priced 8gb and 16gb models.  If our customer base demands these devices in great enough numbers it will then become worthwhile for the manufacturers to put models with more capacity into production.  If multiple posts, such as this one, pop up showing that there is a need to be filled and that large quantities will be purchased then you will see a change in the capacity options of the initially offered products.

We definitely do appreciate your feedback on the issue.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Wizard

ThomasTroxell,

Thank you for the post.  For any questions that you may have on the Motorolla Photon Q you may get device specific assistance directly from a Motorolla product expert at this link:  Live Chat.

As far as getting the Nexus 5 I have to say that I am a bit jealous.  That phone and the KITKat software looks incredible!!!!

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Journeyman

Michael,

Count me in for a vote for higher-capacity devices of any phone. Sprint needs to offer these phones, period. And yes, that means even if 2% of the users will buy those phones, keep only a small amount in warehouse stock, if demand ticks up then order more, but some of the fastest phones to fly off the shelves lately have been higher capacity phones, especially sealed phones with no add-on storage.

Highlighted
Wizard

BradMColo,

Thank you for the feedback.  As someone that uses their phone for just about everything I am a big fan of the higher gig phones. This is definitely something that is determined by the consumer base but with an industry that changes so fast warehousing is not an option because customer demand changes so quick.  Phones that were impossible to keep in stock a year ago are now outdated.  We really appreciate you using this forum and we definitely appreciate the suggestions.  Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Journeyman

I agree. I would have ordered the nexus 5 from sprint had they offered the 32GB version. Im very tired of sprint offering only one version of android phones. Now im forced to order from google and go this crazy activation process. So how about it sprint, give us android fans more options.

Wizard

yyz973,

Thank you for the reply.  The option does exist to get the 32GB Nexus 5 through the Google play store and have it activated on our network.  The activation process is not all that crazy and the necessary UICC cards can be picked up and activated right in one of our store locations.  You can call ahead to the most convenient location and ensure that they have a card on hand for your activation.  The closest store can be found here: (www.sprint.com/storelocator).  Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Journeyman

Thanks, but given my "power user" status, of course I knew about the option to purchase directly from the Google Play store, but my only question is: why should I have to? If I do that, I pay outright, and then will still pay my monthly to run it on Sprint's network, so essentially I'm out the difference (between the Sprint subsidized price, and Google's higher price). Since I have no issue with the two-year contracts (been with the company over a decade), I would prefer Sprint simply offering that choice to consumers. And I originally wanted the 32GB Samsung Galaxy S4, but of course you opted not to carry it (YET, I'm told by some "It's coming", but my god, man - WHEN? And will that be simply too late for anyone to care?). So again, for a good subset of your customer base, these are unforgivable errors in judgement. I have now had this happen THREE TIMES (iPhone 4s, Samsung GS4, Nexus 5), though with the iPhone, it just took you guys a while to finally stock the bigger iPhone. You should have these options right out the gate, not 6 months down the line. That being said, since it does no good to continue to hammer this point home, tell your managers, tell your sales reps, hell, tell the damn executives that this will not stand. As such, I plan to leave your network and join any other carrier who decides they should offer large capacity phones as soon as they are released, which quite honestly, is most every...other...carrier. Sure, the "majority" of the people who are paying Sprint customers may not care, and will buy anything when it's new, no matter what the options, but for the educated TECHNICAL SAVVY user, we want the best phones AND the biggest capacity options. Continue to offer the entry-models of these devices, and watch many other like minded people also flee Sprint.

Wizard

il_pescatore,

Thank you for the post.  As the ranks of the "power user" increases so will the availability of products tailored towards your cellular habits.  We definitely appreciate your feedback and want to let you know that you are not alone.  The ranks of people asking for more capacity, while still in the large minority, are growing and you are correct that it is going to be a group that it will be economically viable to cater to.  We look forward to the future and growing with our products (and increasing the capacity on devices).

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat