Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calling Nexus 5x

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wi-Fi calling Nexus 5x

Will Sprint be enabling Wi-Fi calling for the Nexus 5x?

I just switched from the Nexus 5 to 5x and Wi-Fi calling is not available as an option.

I have read other earily adopters also lack this option even though Android 6.0 has built-in support.  Some say the sim card must allow the feature.

Any straight info available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Wi-Fi calling Nexus 5x

unfortunately no. wifi calling is for the carrier branded devices only. only thing you can use would be Google Voice or hangouts.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
GrandMaster

unfortunately no. wifi calling is for the carrier branded devices only. only thing you can use would be Google Voice or hangouts.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

With some of those recent changes to WiFi calling.... anyone know if support for the Nexus line is coming? I feel like if they are going to support native Android WiFi calling it should be extended to the most native android device of them all...

One can hope.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

how exactly would they add it into the nexus phones if google wont allow carrier add ons? wifi calling would be considered a add on by the carrier..only way i can think of that yall could get something like this is with an app in the play store but even then it wont be like sprint set up and more than likely wont use your actual phone number. google voice maybe?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well Android now supports WiFi Calling natively in the OS and as long as the Sprint backend supports it, they can push a profile update to enable it. It would work sort of the same way iOS wifi calling works. Based on the most recent WiFi calling help article changes for the 2016 Android devices, it seems like Sprint is moving that direction. Plus in the long run, as more devices join marshmallow it would probably lower Sprint development and licensing costs to use the native functionality like the other three carriers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's so stupid that Sprint does not support Wifi calling on the Nexus 5X/6P, when Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile support wifi calling on the Nexus 5X/6P. Keep in mind, the Nexus 5X/6P aren't branded for the other carriers either, but they support Wifi calling.

Even Google Fi has wifi calling, which is using networks from Sprint. To say that Sprint isn't capable would be nonsense since these other companies are able to do it on Sprint network.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sorry, that's not true. Everyone has has it for the Nexus 6/6P/5X.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You mean, everyone except Sprint.

Highlighted
Wizard

Oops, darn spell check.

Highlighted
Journeyman

An update since my original question.

This past week I purchased a T-Mobile SIM card and installed it in my Nexus 5X.  The card was pre-activated and after installing it I have now a WiFi calling option using the built-in capabilities of Android 6 (i.e. Marshmallow).  No app to install, just turn on under the slide down then Options / More... .

Separately, I also received and setup a couple (office and home) of the T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot devices.  It is connected via a wired Ethernet (100Mbps down 20Mbps up) to your network and provides 3G and 4G cellphone signals (not Wi-Fi).  It is literally a mini cell tower registered to the location address and actually works !  I can get 35Mbps down / 10 Mbps up running a speedtest on my Nexus 5X with its Wi-Fi turned off (I know the phone is connected to the CellSpot as it has full LTE signal strength and I normally have very weak to no cell signal at my office. This is not a fluke, but easily reproducible.

As a 20+ year Sprint customer, we still have another phone and data card with Sprint, I have seen their ups/downs and had all the versions of the Airave from when it first came out.  My biggest disappointment was having to turn 4G off on my Nexus 5 (the one before the 5X) in order to use the Airave. Initial calls to Sprint Airave support did not know about the issue, later on they had you update your PRL and then finally they acknowledged you had to turn off the 4G on the phone while at home or office (where both had an Airave) and no solution was projected.  My last Airave died about a year ago and I returned it and did not get another (after I receive a letter from Sprint saying the Airave was no longer being used and must be returned).

It was also a shame that Sprint never provided, but most likely never knew they could, support for Wi-Fi calling for the Nexus 5X. It is even more ironic is that Sprint is part of Google Project FI, a cell phone service that uses Sprint and T-Mobile along with Wi-Fi calling in the background.

When you view various answers on why things don't work with Sprint, it is very apparent that clear knowledgeable information is sorely lacking and solutions to customer issues are seldom implemented.  No wonder that competitors, like T-Mobile,  have opportunities and can 'woo' long term customers when they have technology that actually works.

This is a real story.  I was at a Sprint store getting a SIM card for my wife's new iPhone.  After it was going I asked about the status of Wi-Fi calling on the Nexus 5X.  The person checked a few things, made a phone call, but then did a Google search and gave me the 'answer' posted in this thread.  When I pointed out my name in the thread we both got a big laugh out of it (but I realized hard information was not forthcoming)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat