ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

Journeyman

Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

Okay let em rephrase for you then because demanding things after the fact shows no true research...it was wrong of you to expect some kind of VVM from Sprint when they don't even have a carrier skinned version of the android 4.4 and thus no working apps for 4.4 of that nature. And to "demand" you get a discount for thinking they are not living up to there part of things was wrong.  Nexus means Sprint has no say in how the OS is updated etc, and if you did your research as you are saying you did then you would of known it wasn't there in the first place and not then come back and say they have to do xyz.  This is why a lot of carriers don't carry nexus because people do there "research"  and then later demand apps/etc be on the Nexus when Sprint doesn't A) test os updates for these phones it is all controlled by Google B) it has no ties to any carrier hence the pure Google phone.  This whole thread has been Sprint do this for a phone you have no control over and if you don't i expect compensation when this phone, the NEXUS, was NEVER made to have carrier apps on it at all.  If you want carrier apps get a carrier branded and locked phone that simple.

dfp123 wrote:

Smurfintruck, its not my fault you can't read a thread.    I did research the phone. Not once did I say that the app should be included on the phone. Just that the app should exist and  if you did your research you would find that Sprint has disabled the app from their end.  So you couldn't use the semi working current version of it.

Without forwarding you v-mail to another service your pretty limited on what you can do for voice mail apps.

Why do you keep insisting the app has been disabled by Sprint? You can install the apk found on many forums and it will work...you just get text messages from 9016 when you get a voicemail...same as most all of the custom ROMs that you try to install it on. There is something more than just the app involved so the phone intercepts those texts from 9016 and displays the voicemail notification. But of course since voicemail notification is broken on the Nexus 5 for Sprint it doesn't work right anyways.

When I tried using it, the app said it was verifying my account information and then went on to the setup. A few seconds later I got a text from 9016 saying provisioning successful. I was able to get a voicemail once through the app but at the time I would also occasionally get the standard notification when I had a voicemail. I no longer get any notification of a voicemail if I stay with Sprint's voicemail...so I use Google Voice, just like I did on the Galaxy Nexus.

Also, how do you know the Sprint app isn't forwarding your voicemail to some other service as well?

Journeyman

I read the entire thread because I was curious and I own a Nexus5. dfp123, your comment about not wanting to use Google Voice unless you get a discount for a service you pay for, implied that you felt it is Sprint's responsibility to provide you with voicemail access through a visual interface. You would get this type of access from a Sprint branded phone, however, the Nexus5 is not one of those phones. Sprint is not in the business of creating apps for Android, they are a service provider, and as such, are in no way obliged to provide any apps for anything. You say this is bad customer service on Sprint's part, but you fail to recognize that Sprint partnered with Google, on Google Voice, to address this very issue. Logical business decision on Sprint's behalf.

Master

nickname_sin,

Thank you for the feedback.

Jen R 

Sprint Social Care Team

Master

terza,

Sorry for the delayed response, since you posted there has been a software update for this device. Have you downloaded it? If so, did it address the issue you had with the device?

Eduardo

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

nickname_sin are you stupid or jst have no idea on how a phone company works? neither app forwards voicemail, You foward your phone or route all messages.

As far as being a good business choice. If its such a good choice then they should completly discontinue voicemail and all versions of their voicemail app and have all phones go through google.   Better yet stop offering over the air phone service and let people use google for that.   Your saying Sprint should do everything they can to make it easier to transfer from them to other providers.  Think through what you are saying before you write it down.

The app doesn't work at all becuase Sprint has disabled it from their end.  But according to you this is ok and Sprint shouldnt be making any apps.

dfp123 wrote:

The app doesn't work at all becuase Sprint has disabled it from their end.  But according to you this is ok and Sprint shouldnt be making any apps.

You never answered my question when you posted this earlier...why are you saying Sprint disabled the app from their end? I can install the apk and it gives me a message that says provisioning successful. However, there is more to the app than just the app because otherwise it would work fine on custom roms on phones that are known to be supported by the app...and it doesn't. There is something in the code in the phone that tells it what to do with that text message from the VVM system and since Sprint doesn't have anything to do with the software on the Nexus series, that code isn't there.

And how do you know the sprint provided visual voicemail (which isn't made by sprint) isn't forwarding your voicemail somewhere else as well?

Journeyman

If you did your research you can find people that have tested and found that the app is disabled.

HOw do you know that sprint even has any towers and that all of your calls aren't being router through another provider. Don't ask stupid questions.  So if you don't think Sprint makes their Visyal Voicenmail app, who do you think does make it?

Now that sprint is offering a Voice of wifi/internet service it  makes even less sense to have your voice mail go to a direct competitor

dfp123 wrote:

If you did your research you can find people that have tested and found that the app is disabled.

HOw do you know that sprint even has any towers and that all of your calls aren't being router through another provider. Don't ask stupid questions.  So if you don't think Sprint makes their Visyal Voicenmail app, who do you think does make it?

Now that sprint is offering a Voice of wifi/internet service it  makes even less sense to have your voice mail go to a direct competitor

Really, you call my question stupid and you ask how I know if Sprint isn't routing my calls through other providers? My question still stands...how do you know your voicemails aren't already being forwarded to another system when using Sprint's VVM app?

The copyright on the Sprint VVM app belongs to Smith Micro...they are the ones that make the app and VVM system. http://www.smithmicro.com

Google is not a direct competitor to Sprint...they've partnered with Sprint to integrate Google Voice with Sprint.

Which version of the VVM app have you tried? Only the most recent ones are even compatible with KitKat...and will work....along with getting a text from 9016 every time you get a voicemail because there is something missing somewhere, just like in the custom roms for supported phones it does this on.

What proof do you want that Sprint hasn't disabled the Nexus 5 from using the app?

Here...don't know how else to try to prove to you Sprint hasn't disabled anything. App version is 5.3.4.32...which works with 4.4. Earlier versions don't work.

Screenshot_2014-02-26-09-07-26.jpg

Screenshot_2014-02-26-09-10-17.jpg

Master

Jason0024

I wanted to just touch base with you regarding your device. Are you still experiencing the same issues? Has everything been resolved? Please let us know if you are still in need of assistance.

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Master

dfp123

I just wanted to follow up with you in order to see if you are still having issues with VM. Please let us know if you are in need of assistance.

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat