cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5

0 Comments

So many devices offer so many features, apps and other overlays that can be over whelming or just plain annoying.

Fortunately, Google’s line of the Nexus devices has done a great job in just giving the customer near to the bare bones to allow one to design and control what apps one would like to have on the device without all the extra.

This is why I love the Nexus 5 and you can certainly get this device from Sprint or from Google Play who offers White, Black and Red from the Google Play store.

The Nexus 5 is simple to use without the clutter, but it packs a lot of features that helps me to get through my day. I am always busy between work and school with no time to deal with apps that I find no use for. Therefore, I don’t have to worry about the OEM apps that are preloaded on the device that cannot be removed.

Google Now is one of my favorite features and is packed full of options to make one’s life a little bit easier to manage.

For example, I can keep track of news, sports, weather and traffic that is important to me. I can share information about my commute status with others and manage multiple Google accounts all from one device with access to all of my contacts, calendars and email accounts.

Screenshot_2014-08-17-14-59-37.png

I have over 23 customized Google Now updates ranging from Sports, Stocks, hotel reservations, flight status, travel times and rentals.

You may be asking why this is important to me. It’s important, because I do not have the time to sit in front of a computer or sift through endless emails to get information. I need the information to notify me in the “Now” and Google Now does a great job in doing that.

Screenshot_2014-08-17-14-58-13.png

I know many devices support Google Now, but with the simplicity of the Nexus 5 it makes it much easier to manage and compared to other overloaded devices that are on the market today. I just need access to the things I need most and the Nexus 5 is fulfilling that need.  Integrating my school, work and personal accounts all in one place with little to effort.

Screenshot_2014-08-17-15-25-06.png

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Is your Nexus 5 Daydreaming yet?

If not, check this out and set your Nexus 5 up with the many available options.

Your available options will depend on the native options as well as other apps that maybe compatible with the Daydream feature. You can access this feature by going into settings/display and then select Daydream.

For example, here are the options I have.

Screenshot_2014-08-17-14-13-15.png

Clock – Style & Night mode

1Weather

Colors

Google Photos – Photos on the device & Google Photos

Photo Frame – Photos on the device & account photos

Photo Table - Photos on the device & account photos

Once you have everything setup, your device will go in sleep mode for docking or charging. You can also setup it up to do either.

You can think of this as another screen saver option for your photos and backgrounds while your device is charging or dock. Therefore, there is no need to worry about battery life.

Screenshot_2014-08-17-14-28-19.png

Go ahead and dream…!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I have had the Nexus 5 for about a month now and one thing I noticed was the weight and the construction of the hardware. To be honest, I was sporting the HTC One Max and by no means would it be a fair comparison to compare. Therefore, I will provide an overview on the construction and my personal view of what I think about the Nexus hardware.

According to Google the device weighs in at 4.8 oz.

For me,  this is a very good weight and the device feels very light and comfortable in the hand.

In fact the depth of the phone is approximately 8.59 mm and width is 69.17. For me, this is just right size to manage using the device with one hand and one thumb.

IMG_0204.JPG

The back of the device has a nice matte feel to it as well. I can hold it without worrying about the device slipping out of my hand. However, I personally use a case to protect the back, sides and corners of my devices because I tend to drop and damage them soon after I have taken possession of a device.

The front display screen is about 4.95” 1920x1080 with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3. In essence, you shouldn't need any protective clear film or a front cover to protect the display because it comes with a durable display that will stand up to against deep and minor scratches.

This diagram is a visual of the location of the power button and the volume rocker for this device. http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eguides/googlenexus5/index.html#google_nexus_5_ug/your_phone_at_a_...

diagram.png

On the right side of the device, you will find the power key and the micro SIM slot. I must say that the power key is not in a good place for this device because I find myself pressing this button along with the volume rocker accidentally when I am trying to take pictures horizontally. This eventually causes the device to go into a boot loader setting because of the pressing of the volume rocker buttons. Therefore, I feel the power key should be on top of the device or more in the center of the device on the right side.

What are your thoughts about the hardware of this device?

0 Comments

Answer the following questions.

Are you a person who is walking around with a crack or shattered screen on your device?

Are you a person carrying a device with many scratches on your screen?

Are you a person who always invest in a screen protector to protect your device?

If you have answered yes to one or all of these questions, then you should check out the Nexus 5. This device comes with scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3. For those of you who are not too familiar about what it is and what it does, you can check out the specs and details on Corning’s Product Information Sheet: Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 Product Information Sheet.

20140802_201350.jpg

More importantly, it gives you added protection on everyday uses such as sliding it in and out of your pocket, purse, backpack or briefcase. For me, I tend to find myself placing it face down on rough and smooth surfaces along with the occasional drops. The tactic is for it to keep the scratches and deep chips from breaking the screen which results to longer life and less money for you in the long run.

However, there is one major thing the Nexus 5 is missing and that is the protection of the body on the device. No fault of Corning or Google, but I would love to have some sort of Corning protection all around the device.  Today, I do have a fairly slim and light weight case in which I purchased from Spigen because I need to protect the corners of my device when I drop it.

Is the Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 an added benefit for you?

0 Comments

Recently a small fruit company out of Cupertino made some headlines with the news of the impending release of their new mobile phone.  These days, there are enough users of the Android platform that any news regarding all “i-things” should set in to motion a very pointed and thorough critique of why Android is superior and iOS is quickly becoming obsolete.  And seeing as it is so stylish to criticize the incumbent king of mobile devices, it comes as no surprise that comments like “it took you long enough” were fast and furiously arriving on the coattails of the announcements of specs, and release dates. 

There is one complaint that has raised an eyebrow or two (or in my case, my carefully groomed monobrow…) when it started to appear.  So since when are 4.7” or 5+” considered to be too big?  Probably when iOS users realized that they should be careful of what they ask for.  The argument that the new “i-thingy” is “too big” is not completely baseless.  It is founded in the idea that the current form factor is just right, and that all of the Android mega-screens and phablets just don’t fit in the palms of any normal hands, let alone those of us who are more hand-size-challenged, or manually dainty. 

For those of you who are Android users, but secretly envious of smaller, more economical builds, I think your savior has arrived.  The Nexus 5 (by LG) is by no means a “small” phone, but in comparison to the 5.5” and 6+” monsters that take the helm for most Android OEM’s, this is a “small 5”” by comparison.  But I think that also goes with the whole notion of the Nexus, which is a stripped down, “pure Android” device that is only meant to blow you away with its simplicity, utility, and no frills approach to the user experience. 

I can only rant so much about the size and feel of the phone without eventually telling you to go get one in your hands and see for yourself.  You’ll see that it really doesn’t feel as big as the G3 or the S5 or the One, but it’s still big enough to serve as a small 2nd screen for Netflix, YouTube, or mid-ranged gaming.  For me though, the big hit was the stock email reader. 

Other OEM’s do a fine enough job of creating an email reader which allows the user to manage email, but none ever seem to reach the level of utility of the Gmail app.  Is that personal preference?  Maybe… actually… probably yes, it is.  But I also will say this – that Gmail is consistently the ONLY email reader which seems to integrate the features and functions of Android in a consistent manner.  Features like “swipe to delete”, the folder GUI, and while in a message, swipe to advance to next or previous message.  The swipe to delete and folder menu GUI are admittedly personal preferences that I could make an argument for being the ideal way that email readers should function, but the swipe to advance is something that is indispensable, and is painfully absent on devices that don’t use it. 

Is it reason enough to purchase the Nexus 5?  Nahhh.  It’s a benefit.  HOWEVER, it’s a prime example of what makes this device so sweet.  To me, Nexus is shoe-horning its way into the form and function mold.  It’s not HUGE, and it doesn’t have all sorts of bells and whistles, but it provides you a spectacular, well designed, thoughtful platform to create your own mobile device experience from something that is as close to a clean slate as it can get in the mobile arena.

Because the Nexus brand doesn’t promote itself except in the niche market it occupies, I don’t think it will ever get a title shot at being the pound-for-pound champ in the mobile tech arena.  But definitely worth a look, especially if you are looking for something economical in cost, efficient in performance, and concise in delivered product and experience that it imparts to the user.

D

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Overall i dont think that you can go wrong with the Nexus 5. Especially if you are looking for a phone to make your own right off the bat. The camera, the battery life, the size and just the phone as a whole is an outstanding phone.

I would have to say it like this. The Nexus 5 is not the best at anything, (Only because newer phones like the G3, G2, and G Flex have come out since then), but it is great at everything! Its a well rounded phone that will do everything you need and more while still having a great size, great picture, and great speed!

Also dont forget about the "Google Now" on this phone. I just love saying "Ok google" and telling it to do something. It is very accurate and i have never been led astray by this feature of the phone.

Worth checking out in my opinion, especially if you dont have the 250.00 - 300.00 for the new phones out. For the price and size, this phone cannot be beat!

Your Product Ambassador Team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

With the 2,300 mAh I have had great experience with the life of the battery. Sure, its not as high as some of the other phone like the G3 or GFlex (Since they are both able to hold larger batteries 3,000 mAh), but for the size it is long lasting. As a heavy user of my phones (Playing games, watching movies, listening to music, Texting, Email, Etc.) I was still able to use my phone  throughout the day until about the time I went to bed. If I had to plug it in at all during the day it was at about 4 pm (I unplug my phone at 5:30 am) so as you can see it is very good battery life given the circumstances.

I find that the LG Nexus 5 does a great job at resource usage and ensures that they make it so that the apps and background are not continually draining the battery. For the size of the phone, and the size of the battery, you cannot go wrong with the battery life on the LG Nexus 5!

Your Product Ambassador Team

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

0 Comments

LG makes great phones! And the Nexus device they created for Google is no exception. But what I really enjoyed about the device was the simplicity, fully customizable nature of the device.

Google doesn't pack their phones with special features that a customer may or may not use. It leaves all of the features to third party apps and instead focuses on giving the customer a true Android experience. I've converted my wife from another "feature rich" competitor to the Nexus line by promoting these two features. Google builds a very solid phone, with good specs and build and lets the developers show off their abilities in the app store. When my Wife got her Nexus device, she started asking about some of the features she used on her old phone. I helped go out to the app store and find everything she ever wanted and more! And because the Nexus doesn't pack in any extras, it had plenty of space and RAM to handle all of the third party apps.

My device runs as smooth as the first day of use despite all of the different tweaks and apps I've run through. I'm very pleased with my Nexus device. If a true Android experience is what you're after, you can't get any better the the LG Nexus 5 device on Sprint!

Thanks for reading. For more info please visit Nexus 5

1 Comment

Nexus-5-Black.jpg

After using the Nexus 5 for awhile now I must say I am still a mega fan of Stock android and what Google intended android to be. As It sits right now the Nexus 5 is definitely one of my favorite phones to use. In the market where custom skins reign supreme I really appreciate the no frills OS. The beauty of the Nexus line is making it what you want. With Samsung, HTC and LG I like some of their customization, but I want the option to remove it if I don't need it. What makes the Nexus line so powerful is the ability to make it your own. Samsung has made a name for itself with having a ton more added features to their devices, which is great for users but once again I think it would be safe to assume the majority of people use less than half of the added features. Here is where the Nexus comes in if you want a particular feature that a Samsung device has, it is a good chance an app in the Google Play store will do exactly what you want. Manufactures have gotten alot of things right with their added features and Google clearly took note of all of them. It is very apparent in Android L preview there are a ton of "borrowed" ideas from all the other phone manufactures. Google realized people love Samsung, HTC and LG phones so why not add features they offer to stock android. One major flaw for stock android since the beginning was battery life, it has always been just ok or terrible. The big three Samsung, HTC and LG have fixed this problem awhile ago. It seems every new phone I test will easily go 24-36 hours with a good amount of use. Never could do that on any Nexus I have owned. Google finally optimized Android L for battery and added a battery saver feature that all the other manufactures had from the beginning. The big three manufactures have pushed the Nexus line to be better every year and I am thankful for that. When Android L is released for the Nexus line it will be game changing and completely give this phone a new lease on life. This phone will be hands down my favorite phone again with the update, now the only thing that is lacking is the Moto X always listening feature . Below I have attached a list of the changes you can expect with Android L coming later this summer.

• Burst-mode camera APIs
  • H.265
  • NDK media APIs
  • TV input framework
  • low latency audio recording
  • audio patch-panel
  • Improved AV sync
  • USB audio
  • Cast receiver
  • hardware-assisted hotword (aka the Moto X's "OK google" features!)
  • ART
  • 64-bit trusted execution environment
  • volta (Google's battery life improvement features)
  • improved battery stats, predicted time remaining
  • battery historian
  • Battery Saver mode
  • time to charge
  • time on lock screen
  • JobScheduler
  • multi-network
  • Bluetooth 4.1
  • BLE central & peripheral modes
  • HFP 1.6 (Bluetooth hands-free profile)
  • SAP (Bluetooth SIM access profile)
  • multi HFP
  • Map
  • Email
  • OpenGL ES 3.1 & Android Extension Pack
  • personal unlocking
  • enterprise
  • lock to app APIs
  • Document-centric multi-tasking
  • lockscreen notifications
  • heads-up notifications
  • do not distrub
  • new quick settings
  • phone rotation lock
  • improved game controller support
  • Closed caption
  • color inversion
  • color space correction
  • improved text rendering
  • Material theme
  • activity transitions
  • view shadows
  • view elevation
  • RecyclerView
  • CardView
  • path animations
  • color extractor

list from greenbot.com

0 Comments

Google-Now-Launcher-Nexus-5.png

Google has released their popular Nexus only launcher to all other devices running 4.4+. This is great news for anyone not using a Nexus device. Having Google Now always a slide of the finger to the right is great and really functional. Google Now learns your interests and tells you whats going on around you at any given time. Having that right on your home screen is very convenient. I have attached a short video from Google showing off some of the advantages of running the power stock launcher. Google is really trying to release all their applications to the market to combat the fragmentation issue and is really catching up ground in the recent years. This is a win for Google and its users. I hope you check out the launcher.

Google Now Launcher - Android Apps on Google Play

first image via- redmondpie.com

0 Comments

nexus-5-35828372-6361.jpg

Here are a few reviews from sprint.com on what customers think of the Nexus 5. Google definitely did a great job in designing the software for this phone and I cant wait to read some of the reviews after Android L comes to the Nexus 5 shortly. This will make this device new again with a ton of added functionality. Below I have added screen shots of what customer are talking about!

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

Fist Image via cnet.com

0 Comments

nexus-5.jpgI hate bloat, Soda is a product that makes me bloated so I don't drink it!  The Nexus 5 is an amazing phone, All the fun with out the bloat.  The best part of this phone is you make it your phone, you customize it they way you want it.  You get to add the apps and widgets that you want on your phone not apps and widgets that are forced on you.  This way you can have as many or as little as you want.  When I started using the phone I went into the play store and searched for the widgets I have grown accustom to that I have used on other phones and added them nothing more nothing less.  I also like the way that other brands customize there gui and have all of those extra apps and widgets built in, that is what drove me to find apps that were comparable and install them to give me my custom setup.  Check out my other blogs on how I customized my Nexus 5!

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Use "OK, Google" from anywhere on your Android!

Sprint Product Ambassadors: SMS with Google Hangouts

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Have if your way with the Nexus 5

Thanks for reading have a good day!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

As a Product Ambassador, I am used to seeing all the different skins and GUI overlays that the OEM's have so adeptly integrated in to the deployment of Android devices over the last few years.  Of note are obviously Sense UI, Touch Wiz, and Motorola's most recent flavor (the name escapes me right now).  Some have been smoother than others, and they've all done a wonderful job of integrating our other household appliances and artifacts in to our mobile controlled world.  Most importantly, they are all super-slick, BRANDED platforms that permanently hook users up as return buyers, whether it's for Samsung's Galaxy line, or LG's G series, or the Moto X, or HTC's Blinkfeed, or whatever the next big thing is.  We all love it, and we want it again.

But in the background, ever lurking... was the Nexus breed: the line of devices that had no skin - that ran "pure" Android, and came with no fancy bells and whistles.  No extra widgets to connect to our media hub, no live news ticker feeds, or hardware management client to control our TV or BlueRay player or gaming console.  Just plain and simple Android.

This is my first go-around with the Nexus brand, and before I started to use it, I didn't really get it.  'What's the big deal? I LIKE the GUI's, skins, bells and whistles that <insert OEM name here> makes...'  Simple is not good - it's like eating paste, or mashed potatoes with no salt, milk, or butter... or puffed rice-cakes with... well... with nothing.  Oof was I wrong.

Now that I've had a few weeks with the Nexus 5, I can now officially say that "I get it."  And it's just as much about the integration... no wait... integration is too light of a word... the infusion, or injection, or annexation of Google in to the mobile device OS landscape as it is about imparting a much lighter experience than what we are used to with other OEM branded devices.  In essence, Google's Android OS interface converts your daily mobile experience in to a Disney-type immersion, only Google is the center piece, and not an animated empire.  Google+ is now part of EVERYTHING that you use, and all of the Google app interfaces are no longer secondary. Maps, email, cloud storage, multimedia management and other Google branded apps take center stage, and the other apps are considered bloatware or downloads that are not original or stock. It's all Google...

Let me stop for a minute, because I'm reading my own stuff, and it sounds kinda negative on Google and Android... like they are some sort of evil empire.  I would like to go on record here and say that big and far-reaching does not mean evil.  It's just that popular, and that flexible!  And quite frankly, it is a very well built, easy platform that doesn't need much of anything to stand on its own.  Case in point: the Nexus line.  If you don't like the Android stock launcher, then get another launcher!  There are plenty of them, and they are as slick if not moreso than what the OEM's put on their devices!  Jump in the pool of pure Android... the water is fine!

I hope to focus a few other short posts about some of the other advantages of pure Android and the Nexus 5, but wanted to get this one off my chest.

Enjoy!

D

0 Comments

As some of you may remember, my son was recently enrolled in swimming lessons. My wife, wanting to keep the memories, recorded each and every lesson. The problem is that she recorded everything with the phone in portrait mode. Why this is an issue, we'll discuss later on. Today, we were are my nephew's birthday party. My brother-in-law points at his beloved and remarks how he's tried to get her to stop recording in portrait mode. Looking over my Facebook feed, I noticed that the majority of my friends do the same!

So why is recording vertically [in portrait mode] so bad? While a printed photo can easily be turned and displayed in portrait mode, you can't just turn your TV or computer monitor on its side. This leads to you watching a very skinny video with giant black bars to the left and right of the video.

So say no to this:

And say yes to this:

Mind you, both of those videos were taken from the same device (not my current Nexus 5 so please do not dunk your Nexus 5's into water.)

That being said, Nexus 5 users will notice that if you try to take a video with your phone in portrait mode, the phone will gentle remind you to tilt your phone back to landscape.

Video recording in Portrait / Vertical mode:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-19-21-41-25.png

Landscape / Horizontal mode:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-19-21-42-03.png

As you can see in the two images above, if you try to record a video in portrait mode, you will have an animated visual reminder that you are recording the video the wrong way. And this is brilliant. Thank you Google!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

Google_Android.png

Call this post what you will, an open discussion . . . very much so, market research. . . eh I'm not that sophisticated. Either way I'm interested in better understanding opinions about Google's "pure Android experience". I think it is fair to say that the pure Android experience is one of the main features for the Nexus 5 and probably it's key selling point. What drives you to be a Google Purist or do you like the artistic liberties that manufactures take in their Android overlays? Comment what you like, what you don't, and if there is anything you would change. I'll start by saying there are many things I appreciate about the "pure" approach, limited storage intrusion and ability to fully customize Android to my liking though apps, settings, and widgets. The one thing I would change is the lack of a Visual Voicemail feature. I've tried to use Google Voice as a substitute but I'm not sold, having to accept a call by pressing 1 after you've already answered is minor but an annoyance. Comment away, let's make this interesting!

-Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

One of the first things you notice when you turn on the Nexus 5 is that there is that the default texting app is Google Hangouts. At first, this seemed odd to me, but now I realize how brilliant it is. Google Play describes Hangsouts with the following:

Google+ Hangouts is a messaging app that lets you send and receive messages, photos and videos, and even start free video calls — one-on-one or with a group!

● Send and receive both Hangouts and text messages (SMS/MMS) and easily switch between message types.

● Include all your friends with group Hangouts and MMS conversations.

● Say more with photos, emoji, and animated GIFs.

● Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.

● Use Hangouts to connect with friends on computers, Android and Apple devices.

● Easily share Maps locations and People contacts with your friends.

● Message friends anytime, even if they're not connected right now.

Being able to send and receive both text messages and hangout IM's within the same thread is pretty amazing. My wife can easily text me that her phone battery is dying, then IM me from her laptop while her phone charges, and it all shows up on my wife as if it were one single conversation.

https://lh4.ggpht.com/2d9AZuyUVhBhheYAUsvvtUAVcgzTZ__jqT5jNw4b-JcdT6nggse_YemHlwGSl6daA43z=h900

Source: Google Play Store

Sharing maps on it is more than just functional, too. You aren't just sharing a link; you are actually sharing the map itself! Look at this:

http://images.fonearena.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/google-hangouts.jpg

Source: fonearena

Say you are using those directions in a group MMS conversation and decided that it'd be easier to explain by talking to them. You can easily turn any group MMS conversation into a Google Hangouts group video call. As long as they have hangouts installed, you'd be able to see all of them at the same time and tell them what you want them to know without having to type it into your screen. (And this conversations carry over to any other devices you have, like a tablet, for example.)

https://lh3.ggpht.com/cndRv9Ui6JRtDy9Z-r_-v7KT-cVWe6OfQCmkpPt9mlHTxNoh3_UaorkOxL_mTzEsLQ=h900

Source: Google Play Store

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Screenshot_2014-07-16-12-23-16.png

I love using the Google Now Voice Search feature!  I use this daily to text, call, or a Google search!  When your in a bind and you got BBQ sauce on your hands and you need to text someone you can just say OK Google,  Text Stanny  My Smoked ribs are better than yours! send.  and I dont have to get my phone dirty or put my rib down. Now what its missing is the ability to say OK Google take a selfie and text to stanny  That way stanny can see how good the ribs look.

Here is a link to all of the commands.

Screenshot_2014-07-16-12-27-24.png

To enable the Search from anywhere function you have to go into the Google now settings/voice/Ok Google Detection, and check the book From any screen and lock screen

Here is a list of Search Easter Eggs below

Do a barrel roll

“up up down down left right left right”

Tell me a joke

“What is an upper decker?” – hilarious answer, but slightly nsfw.

“What is a rusty trombone?”

What does the Fox say

What’s the loneliest number

Make me a sandwich

When am I

“Who’s on first” replies with “what’s on second”

Okay Jarvis(Works in Moto X , not sure about other devices)

Beam me up Scotty

Instead of “OK Google” you can use “Hey Google“, “OK Computer“, “OK Jarvis“, “OK Glass“

Saying “Make me a sandwich” – responds “What? Make it yourself” or “Poof, you’re a sandwich“

“Sudo/Sudu, make me a sandwich” – responds “OK“

Saying “Beam me up Scotty” – responds “I cannot do it captain, I don’t have the power” (in a terrible Scottish accent)

Asking “When am I?” – responds “The present, of course. Tardis functionality is still under development, sorry.“[AdSense-A]

Asking “What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?” – responds – “Did you mean airspeed velocity of African/European unladen swallow?“

Asking “Who are you?” – responds “Searching for oneself can take a lifetime, but a good place to start is classic rock.“

Asking “What is the nature of the universe?” – responds “The universe is a spheroid, 705 meters in diameter“

Asking “What is your favourite colour?” – responds “It’s hard to pick just one.“

Asking “What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?” – responds – “The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.“

Saying “Do a barrel roll” – makes the search results page roll like on web.

Saying “Askew or “Tilt” – gives you a tilted search results page like on web.

Source of Easter Eggs

Thanks for reading have a good day!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

Some people like small phones, and some like large phones. This phone is for those that like their phones mid sized. I remember when a 4" screen was large for a smart phone! We have come so far since then. With the Nexus 5, it shows off its 4.95" screen very nicely. Im the type of person that really likes larger screens but I will say that this phone gives you a good size without sacraficing picture quality. 

The phone fits very well in my hand, no need to reach way over, but also there is no extremely bent finger for trying to type on a tiny screen. This phone feels comfortable and very convenient. The picture quality is outstanding as well. No issues playing movies, videos, Etc. With teh 4.95" phone you get comfort and quality. What else could you ask for?

Android-4_3-comes-to-Sprints-Samsung-GALAXY-Nexus.jpg

I will say, a 5.0" screen is looking to be one of my favorite sizes right now. If you cannot decide if you like the larger, or the smaller, try out the Nexus 5.

Your Product Ambassador team

0 Comments

So I recently canceled my Netflix subscription and have found myself looking for something to watch.  I found a great app in the App store called Pluto.tv.

PLuto.jpg

pluto1.jpgpluto2.jpg

From the Android play score description:

Pluto.TV offers 100+ FREE HD channels of curated videos! Music, news, sports, entertainment, comedy, and more!

As seen on E!, Forbes, New York Times, Buzzfeed, Wall Street Journal, Mashable, Fox News and more!

Watch on your smartphone, tablet, web, and on your TV through Chromecast!

Want the best videos on the Internet? 100+ curated channels, such as Top 40 music videos, EDM, sports highlights, news headlines, trending videos, and even a 24/7 cats channel.

Pluto.TV offers all-in-one online video streaming and it’s FREE! Pluto.TV airs 24/7 music, shows, movies, and more—all brought to you by expert curators.

Watch all 100+ free HD channels in the app now!

Check out the complete channel lineup on Pluto.TV now:

MUSIC:
Top 40, Top Dance Hits, Top Web Tracks, Top Country Hits, Party Playlists, Hip Hop , EDM , Indie Music, Underground Pulse, Music Backstage Pass, Covers, Latin Pop, Christian Music, Happy, Reggae, J. Lo, RIFF RAFF, Electric Vegas, R. Kelly's TRAPPED, Mariah Carey

NEWS & INFO:
Headline News, TYT Network, Documentary Journalism

SPORTS:
Austin X, Sports Highlight, Xtreme Sports, SK8, Snow, Surf, Fight, Fight Life, Basketball, Baseball, Brazil 2014, Wimbledon 2014

ENTERTAINMENT:
Drama Webseries, Comedy Webseries, SciFi Webseries, Top Viral Videos, Trending Now, Cats 24/7, Dogs 24/7, Polar Bears 24/7, Guns & Explosions, GoPro, Drivers & Cars, TV Recaps & Talkbacks, Conspiracies & Myths, Best of TV Commercials, Movie Trailers, Movie Reviews, Indie Films & Shorts, Retro Movies, 4:20, Ultra HD, Slow TV, Heart Warming, Animal World, Anime

COMEDY:
Steve-O, Stand Up, Sketch Comedy, Funny or Die TV, Fail, Prankd, Comedy Mixtape, Top Internet Comedians, Comic Interviews, Best Web Comedy

LIFESTYLE:
Beauty Tutorials, Women's Fashion, Men's Style, Food, Travel, Health & Fitness, Yoga Pilates & Meditation, Real Estate, Home DIY & Crafting, Parenting, QVC, Fashion Life

TECH:
Nerd Culture, RocketJump, Gadget Review, FPS Gaming, Action-Adventure Gaming, World of Minecraft, World of Call of Duty, World of Grand Theft Auto

ART & CULTURE:
POPular Art, POPular Design, Dance World

EDUCATION:
Talks: Tech and Science, Talks: Business & World, Talks: Entertainment, Talks: Design, Nature, Science

KIDS:
Plutots: Songtime, Plutots: Learn & Play, Pluto Kids: Science, Pluto Kids: Explore, Pluto Kids: Show, PlutoNiños

Pluto.TV - Watch What's Possible

I love the app and hop you love it as much!!!

0 Comments

x11_4.jpg(source)

I recently got my hands on a Nexus 5, and knew I would love it. I fell in love with the thing even before

it was launched, thanks to the leaks that seem to be pop up before every new device launch. As always,

protection is of the utmost concern when thinking about maximizing the longevity of the device. I normally

like to get the cheapest, highly customer rated case on Amazon for whatever phone I'm using, also

leaning towards a more conservative look. I got the Nexus around my 29th Birthday, so I decided throw

conservativeness to the wind and get something with a little more spunk that reflected my age and

individuality a little more. That is when I came across the Cruzerlite Bugdroid case. 

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m7qRETi9kGZ_GhCTxldYMAw.jpg (source)

The case fits the device snugly, feels good, and seems to give the device enough to protection without

adding too much bulk to it. I got the teal/electric blue one above, and could not be happier. At prices hovering

around the $10 range, and over 10 color choices, you really cannot go wrong.

What "different" cases do you like? Share your opinions below.

0 Comments

nexus5.PNG

The Google nexus 5 is pure Google with no OEM overlay which means no bloatware.... Downside of no OEM overlay is that some of the widgets OEM use are not available. Example: no full view calendar widget, no contact/people widget, and no weather clock widget to name a few. My problem is these are the widgets I use the most so I go to Google Play and find the ones I need....

Screenshot_2014-07-13-12-32-26.pngScreenshot_2014-07-13-18-32-00.png

There are many options available for weather clock and I went with Sense Flip Clock app on my Nexus 5. I like the ability to make it somewhat transparent and have my weather available at the same time.....

Screenshot_2014-07-13-12-32-41.pngScreenshot_2014-07-13-12-33-20.pngScreenshot_2014-07-13-18-45-46.png

APW is another app I use on my Nexus 5 for my Calendar and Contact/People widgets. This is another app that provides a transparency option along with several Widget options. One of the advantages of this app is that it provides several other widget options.

sms_text_image.png

Handscent is my SMS text app instead of using Hangouts.... I like how when I receive a new message, it pops up on my screen. Saves me time in having to open up the app to check out my new message...

There are many app options in Google Play Store and everyone has their favorite apps. These are a few of the apps I selected to use on my Nexus 5 for features i use the most on my mobile phones....

What apps do you use on your Nexus 5?

Thanks for reading my blog.....

Blue

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

nexus-5-colors.pngRokuvschromecas6.jpg

Once again through an update Google has brought some great new features to the Nexus line and the chromecast. If you were not watching the Google I/O a few weeks ago, shame on you. Just kidding but they announced the screen mirroring feature will be updated to the chromecast and android. Well its here and I have to say it works great. Obviously you need a chromecast for this to work, The chromecast is a $35 dongle for any HDTV. This little gadget is the best $35 I have ever spent. Not only can you get your streaming video fix, now you can mirror your Nexus 5 and a few other devices at this time. This is only the beginning for this powerful little device. Where the Nexus 5 is so handy, whenever Google launches something new the Nexus is on the bleeding edge. I love the Nexus 5 for this reason, not all phones can mirror their screen yet. Not to mention when Android L launches the Nexus will once again feel like a brand new phone. Below I have attached a video of the screen mirroring.

nexus-5-cast-screen.jpg

List of supported devices so far

• Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 7 (2013)
  • Nexus 10
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10
  • HTC One M7
  • HTC One M7 (Google Play Edition)
  • LG G3
  • LG G2
  • LG G Pro 2
  • Support for additional devices coming soon

- All pictures via droid-life.com

0 Comments

In the modern smart phone game, camera has been come a buzz generator.  Does it have a 5, 8, 11, 47 Mega Pixel camera.  I am not sure how this got started this way, but it seems like most things people have become adjusted to bigger means better.  While they are correct, it is only too a point.  Images are at the high end are going to be a multi faceted prospect.  You have the Image resolution as it was taken, the medium of its display and the human eye to take into consideration.  I have been carrying the Nexus 5 for a little over two weeks now.  I tested its camera and video functionality while reclined on my back in the grass on the 4th of July.  I will let the images speak for themselves.  As I am not a professional photographer by any means, these did everything I wanted to capture memories of the this fun filled day and event.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg8.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Jeremy The Product Ambassador

0 Comments

One of the major selling points with of the Nexus platform is what Android enthusiasts like calling the "Pure Android Experience." We referred to it as AOSP because it is Android as compiled from Google's official Android Open Source Project without any other modifications by the phone manufacturer. Most manufacturers add their own twist to the Android Operating System in order to have a custom tailored experience. AOSP devices come with a version of Android directly configured by Google. While these custom tailored experiences are not bad things in themselves, there are some great perks of having a Nexus/AOSP device:

1. Updates come directly from Google and come to Nexus device first.

2. The phone comes with a bare bones install. (Some enthusiasts prefer a lean phone over a feature full phone with features they may not use.)

3. A device that performs the way Google intended it to. (Also a byproduct of having a bare bones install.)

This first point is the one I am most excited about, though. Recently, Google announced the next iteration of the Android OS. While normally named after deserts, as this version has yet to be completed, Google is referring to it as Android "L". A day after Google announced the new Android L platform, they released Android L preview firmware updates to several of their Nexus series of devices. These firmware updates were designed for developers to test their apps' compatibility with the upcoming Android L release and to allow developers to update their apps accordingly prior to the Android L release.

These updates are not your standard over-the-air updates that users normally see. These updates are only a preview of what is to come and are truly meant for developers only. They are not ready to be used as the daily driver for a non-developer. That being said and any preview bugs aside, the Android L preview firmware for my Nexus 5 allowed me to see where Google is taking AOSP and I am very excited about what I'm seeing! Both as a developer and as a user, the next version of Android is bringing some major changes that will take an already great platform and improve it drastically. The changes are so massive, they remind me of the Android 2.3 to Android 4.0 jump. For those of you who did not experience that jump, Android gained the majority of its hardware acceleration in Android 4.0 on phones (Android 3.0 on tablets). This allowed Android devices to use their GPU's in such a way as to provide a smooth experience that was impossible to reproduce with Android 2.3 and prior, regardless powerful the CPU in your device was.

Here are some of the major changes that I'm excited about as a user:

1. Google is switching Android from the Dalvik runtime to the ART runtime. In layman's terms, in the past, Android apps have run on top of a java-like system. This allowed developers to create one app that ran on every system but also added some overhead to apps. With ART, all apps will now be precompiled at install time. This means that all apps should launch faster, perform better, and be smoother overall.

2. Floating notifications - Notifications can now float above any app you currently have open. To demostrate how awesome this is, think of that time when you were THIS close to getting the high score in a game and then someone called you. The incoming call took over the screen and you lost. With Android L, rather than taking over the screen, you would get a small pop up at the top of the screen advising you that you have an incoming call asking if you want to take the call or decline it. This is absolutely brilliant.

3. The lockscreen displays any notifications the system has. Now all you have to do is pick up your phone, turn on the screen, and glance at all your notifications without having to touch anything else.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-09-20-35-36.png

(Yes, it places a little picture of you from your Google account at the top right corner of the screen.)

4. Animations galore. Google has added so many buttery smooth animations to Android that the whole thing just feels like a flowing animation.

5. Brighter colors. The whole interface is being rebuilt for lighter colors, instead of the current black, blue, and grey hues.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-09-20-35-55.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-07-09-20-36-02.png

And these are just but a sample of the many changes that have been done to Android L. The way I see it, Android is going to grow in massive ways in the upcoming months and I can't wait for it to happen!

0 Comments

LG Nexus 5 Runtime

Google released a new runtime system in late 2013. It’s been available for developers and partners to provide feedback to Google about experiences and bugs. Now, you can enable the new runtime on your Nexus 5 device! This is still a work in progress, although many have reported it much more stable recently. There’s no need to root your phone, or rip and APKs to enable this system tweak.

How to:

1. Enable Developer options: Go to settings>about phone and tap “Build Number” 7 times. You should see a message flash about now being a developer.

2. Runtime from Dalvik to ART: Settings>Developer Options>Select Runtime

3.       3. Your phone will reboot and start converting all of your apps. This could take a long time to process.

Okay, let me back up a bit. ART is the name of the new runtime system google is working on. A runtime is the part of the OS that executes (runs) all of your apps. ART stands for… wait for it…. Android RunTime. Shocking right? There may still be some apps that don’t work or are buggy but if you find that’s the case, don’t fret. Since it’s a Google/Android official toggle, it’s all completely reversible. Just follow step two above to revert back to Dalvik runtime.

So why would you want to switch? What makes ART better than Dalvik? Well, besides being the newer version… many forums and reports claim better battery performance and faster UI. I can tell you while I didn’t notice that much of a difference in speed when I switched, it was MUCH more apparent when I switched back! If you’re interested in giving your phone a little UI speed boost, and possibly better battery performance then go ahead and try the new runtime from Google.

Here are some links to read up on ART vs Dalvik:

[inappropriate link removed]

Thanks for reading, For more information on this device visit Nexus 5

-

This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines: http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-admin-blog/blog/2010/01/01/sprintcom-comm...

Thanks for your participation in the forums!

0 Comments

Just recieved my Nexus 5 today, yes I know not one of the newest phones but one I have never tried out and played with.  I got the oppurtunity to test one out and play with now so here is the first impressions.

I considered doing unboxing but since I was out of fireworks, and Micheal Bay was unavailble I thought I was spare you the standard unboxing pictures and videos.  Instead I will stick to my impressions of the device over the first weekends use.

Very first impression the device I went back to the box to make sure there was not a battery that I was missing, it is incredibly lightweight.  Considerably lighterweight than any device I have carried before.  I am considering a heavy duty case to keep it from floating out of my pocket.

Second impression ease of Setup.  It took a matter of minutes to go from powered off to fully setup, it was ten minutes total if you cound the two updates that needed to be downloaded and installed on the device.  This is a snappy fun device.  I have enjoyed the getting to know you or honeymoon phase immensely.

I will post a seperate blog soon with some images and video I took with the camera.

It has great performance with a Quad Core processor and 2 gbs of RAM.  I remember when those were top end laptiop specs, and that really was not that long ago.  With access to Sprint Spark high speed data this is a great personal pocket assistant to keep your life organizxed and up to date.  With it being a Google device, it means you are near the top of the list for updates and application compatibility.  There is not much you can not choose to do with this fun device.

Jeremy Product Ambassador

0 Comments

Some great reviews from around the web about the Nexus 5. After using the Nexus 5 for a couple of weeks I have to agree with all of these reviews!

Android Central

Google and LG have crafted a phone that's more than worthy of your attention

Forbes

Nexus 5: After Three Months Of Use, It's The Best All-Around Android Phone

CNET

A Nexus with power, potential, and the right price

TheVerge

The Nexus 5 is an excellent phone in many ways. It's solidly built and feels great to use. It's got serious processing power which means it can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. The phone has an absolutely gorgeous display.

Nexus 5

image courtesy of Android Central's review

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

I found this on a website called Android.gs

Link HERE

I wanted to share it because I think the article shares some insight on what to expect with the next update.  I hope you enjoy.

The first thing you’ll notice about the new Android 5.0 L update is Material Design, which is Google’s design philosophy for their new Android iteration. Material Design aims to make every animation, ripple, or shadow look real, in the same time making the whole experience more intuitive with 3D tiles that slide over one another. It also brings updates to the Roboto font.

The notifications and the lock screen have also been improved in Android 5.0 L. The notifications have received a deeper integration in the lock screen, allowing you to interact with notifications as you pick up the phone. It also learns from your behavior and knows which notifications to prioritize.

Android 5.0 L will also be faster than previous versions, as it ditches Dalvik and makes the jump to ART runtime, the latter one being 64-bit compatible as well. You should also be able to notice battery life improvements, courtesy of Project Volta and the integrated Battery Saver mode.

But the Android 5.0 L changes don’t stop here. You will get a redesigned Quick Setting panel, improved Settings UI, notifications Hover, and more.

Summing up, expect the Android 5.0 L update for Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 to arrive sometime in October. The Google Play Edition devices should receive the new update the same month, followed by Samsung’s, HTC’s, Sony’s, Motorola’s, and LG’s flagships towards the end of the year.

1 Comment

One of the feature's I really appreciating about the Nexus 5 is the accessibility of Google's voice command features.   Similar in design to the Moto X, the commands are made readily available by stating "OK Google" from any one of your home screens.   (Moto X goes one step further by allowing even when the display is dormant)  Trendblog.net has a great write up on some 70 different voice commands available and after wasting a few minutes trying them out I thought I would highlight a few of the potentially lesser known commands.

Translate-  Google Translate is the end all application if you are stuck in a strange land and need to be fully conversational.  If you only need to spit out a witty one line simply leverage the following voice command:

Voice command:  say "what you want translated" in "translated language"     Here is an example of "I love my Nexus 5" in French, the stated command can be seen at the top of the pic.

translate.jpg

Weather-   Instead of hunting down a weather app simply state "weather" and get current and forecasted weather conditions.   The slide bar available in the pictured weather card below is a nice added feature and it better not rain Friday!!!!

weather.jpg

Map Of:  Back to the strange land, you've used the translate function to find out what city you are in now it's time to get a map.  Stating "Map of" and the location in question will bring up said map.  Selecting the map image located at the top of the search results will take you to Google Maps with all the information you need to locate the closest Cinnabon.

maps.jpg

Tip-  Carry the 1, multiply by 3, then cross multiply. . .  Oh the plight of figuring the appropriate tip amount.    Fret no more, whether you are tipping 10%, 15%, or 20% your device has you covered.   With the simple command of "what is the tip for $XX" you can help/force your cheapskate friends from not taking care of the service.   The +/- boxes in the Tip % and Number of people fields will allow you to customize your tip amount, with the number of people field allowing you to split up the tip and bill amount between multiple people. 

tip.jpg

Even if you don't remember any of these commands don't fret, the natural language style of the search function is very flexible and accommodating to several variants of the available commands.  Challenge yourself to use these features and impress your friends by talking your device!  Or creep them out, it will be one or the other . . . Good Luck 

Until Next Time,

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

A common question I normally get and one of the main considerations for a new device purchase is display performance.  Display tech in portable devices are hitting some remarkable levels in image quality which in the past was normally only seen in high end televisions.   I wanted to see how the Nexus 5 display stacked up to some of the other flagship devices in the market so I assembled the following table providing a comparative view on a few key performance indicators:

Presentation1.jpg

So what do all of these numbers mean?

You will notice that most of the metrics for these devices are inline with each other, especially when you look at the resolution rate and contract ratios. (wasn't able to find two sources that agreed on the G3's contrast ratio so I left it blank)   What this loosely means is all of your high end devices have very comparable quality levels, I would say for the most part indistinguishable.  Pixels per Inch (PPI) is a direct product of the resolution rate and screen size and a good indicator of the display sharpness experienced.  I would argue that the Note 3 is still one of my favorite displays on the market but you can see how much influence the screen size has on the PPI rating as the common resolution rate shown above is stretch across the larger display size.  A tip of the hat goes to the Nexus 5 in terms of it's PPI, second to only the G3 which hasn't officially launched yet.  It doesn't surprise me that the Nexus 5 compares well to the market as the image and color representation on the device are both excellent.   Images have clear well defined edges without any jagged or graininess and that coupled with the contrast ratio make for a display that really pops.  You can't go wrong with any of these devices but know that if the pure Google experience is your cup of tea your display stacks up quite nicely to the best in the biz.

Until Next Time,

Product Ambassador Team