BlogArticlePage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Google Ecosystem Glory with the Nexus 6

Sprint Product Ambassador

If you’re in a Google ecosystem, the Nexus 6 will be a natural fit to your environment. What do I mean by Google ecosystem? Well, if you use Gmail, Google Photos, Hangouts, YouTube, Google Maps, Google Drive… including Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, etc., then the Google ecosystem is part of your life.

When the Nexus Player came out in late 2014 (aka Android TV), I was fortunate to receive one. As a long time cord cutter, media tools such as the Nexus Player are important to me. In addition, I am a bit of a Google fangirl, so I was super excited to get my hands on a Nexus 6 recently, as I wanted to see how well it works with my Nexus Player as well as my Chromecast.

I am happy to report that the Nexus 6 works pretty seamlessly with the Nexus Player and the Chromecast. I think that both of these tools would be excellent additions to anyone who has a need for in-person content sharing, as well as enjoying the plethora of items experienced via the Nexus 6 on a larger screen.

I paired my Nexus Player with my Nexus 6 via Bluetooth, and also installed the Android TV remote app (free download via Google Play) on my Nexus 6. This app makes it easier to input text and navigate the Nexus player via your android device.

Screenshot_2015-03-12-10-25-28.pngScreenshot_2015-03-12-10-25-47.png

Screenshot_2015-03-12-10-26-05.png

If you're into games, you might take an interest in the Android TV remote app for the use of its trackpad:

Screenshot_2015-03-12-10-26-10.png

Now, we shall shift to casting the Nexus 6. One of the downfalls of the Nexus Player are its limited music apps. For example, Spotify is not available for the Nexus Player. However, since you can play Spotify on your Nexus 6, you can cast it to your Nexus Player or Chromecast. Most people have pretty decent, if not outstanding, sound systems connected to their tv. So why not cast your music from your Nexus 6 to a Nexus Player or Chromecast and take advantage of that awesome sound system?

image.jpg

Casting is an option that is part of Android Lollipop 5.0, and since the Nexus 6 typically runs the latest released version of Android, this option is available on the Nexus 6. Casting a Nexus 6 to a Nexus Player or Chromecast is very easy. Simply drag down from the top edge of your Nexus 6 and select Cast Screen. Your Nexus 6 will need to be connected to the same WiFi network as your Nexus Player or Chromecast. Once connected, you can cast audio, video, pictures, apps, etc. Pretty much anything that you can access with your device can be casted to your Nexus TV or Chromecast. The Nexus TV and Chromecast simply provide the output for visuals and audio.

Use case scenarios for pairing your Nexus 6 with a Nexus Player or Chromecast:

• Sharing content such as PowerPoint decks, Google Slides, pdfs, docs, etc. for meetings on a larger screen (saving the expense of purchasing a projector)
  • Sharing your photos from Google Photos, Flickr, Dropbox/Carousel, Facebook, etc. with your family and friends on a larger screen (hint: you can play background music at the same time as showcasing your photos by launching a music app, such as Spotify, and playing it in the background)
  • Sharing your videos on a larger screen with family, friends, colleagues
  • Viewing the content of your apps on a larger screen...

image (2).jpg

The use case scenarios go on and on.

If you do not have a Nexus Player or Chromecast, there are many places that sell them and their price points are affordable (Nexus Player is around $99 USD, and the Chromecast is around $35 USD). If you’re into the Google ecosystem, I suggest a device that’s fully integrated with that environment with pure Android, and choose a Nexus 6. The Nexus 6 is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.