cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Motorola Nexus 6 - Changing the Voice Output

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Nexus 6 is one of my favorite devices to date, and that says a lot since I have used quite a few. Even though it is nearly perfect for my needs, I still like to customize certain items on the device, one of which is the voice output.

I prefer listening to a UK version of English, rather than the American English. Somehow, it just sounds more polished and is more enjoyable for listening. I figured others might feel the same way, so here is a tutorial on how to change your voice output on your Nexus 6.

Step One

Change your default language

• Settings > Language & Input > Language > select English (United Kingdom)

ttslang.png
Step Two

Change your Text-to-speech output language

• Settings > Language & Input > Speech - Text-to-speech output
    • Under preferred engine, you will see “Google Text-to-speech engine(You might try to install other TTS engines from Google Play which may or maynot work. I prefer to stick with the standard options offered from Google).
    • Tap the “gear” icon to the right of “Google Text-to-speech engine.”
    • Tap Language.
    • Select English (United Kingdom)
    • Tap “Settings for Google Text-to-speech engine” and make certain “Auto-update voices” is selected.
    • Go back one screen and tap “Install voice data
    • Select English (United Kingdom). Then select the English (United Kingdom) voices you want to install… either male, female, or both (I installed both, and selected the male version of the voice).
    • Go back three screens (you should be at Settings > Language & Input > Speech - Text-to-speech output.
    • Under “Default Language Status” you should see “English (United Kingdom) is fully supported.” 
    • Tap on Speech Rate to select how fast or slow you’d like your speech rate to be (my preference is “Faster”).
    • Tap on “Listen to an example” to play a demonstration of speech synthesis.
    • If the rate is too fast or slow, adjust as necessary.

ttsoutput.png
The above will change the voice output for Google Maps and other apps that use TTS output. I find that when I use Google Maps, the voice sometimes toggles back and forth between UK male and female. It does make it a bit more interesting with the two voices tag-teaming my routes.

Step Three

Changing the Voice Output on Google NowIf you’d like to change the voice to English (UK) for Google Now, there are a few settings you need to change in Google Now (I recommend doing this so when you query Google you’ll receive a pleasant UK voice for the output).

• Open Google Now > Settings > Voice > Languages > make certain only “English (UK)” is selected (You can also reach this setting by visiting Apps > Google Settings > Search & Now > Voice > Languages > and make certain only “English (UK)” is selected).

gnvoice.png

On my device, I mistakenly had multiple English voices selected simultaneously (UK, US, and Australia). This caused my Google Now to keep using the US version of English instead of the UK version. After tinkering a bit, I discovered I needed to remove the other checked languages and keep only English (UK).

Something to note: in Google Now settings there is an option called “Search language.” This should be listed as “English (UK).” If you change it back to “English (US),” it will change your language output back to American English again. So, don’t do that and be certain to keep it as “English (UK).”

Now, you can take pleasure in having a more polished and pleasant voice speak to you from your brilliant Nexus 6. Enjoy!

The Nexus 6 is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.