cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Nexus 6 Screen Pinning

Journeyman

Nexus 6 Screen Pinning for Android 5.0

One of the main reasons someone would get or want a Nexus device is the opportunity to be one of the first people using the latest Android version. For Nexus 6 owners, that is Android 5.0 aka Lollipop. Lollipop is a major overhaul of the Android system including a new set of buttons for: Back, Home, Recent apps. Google also revamped the interface incorporating what they call “Material Design.” You can find more information about Material Design here: Introduction - Material design - Google design guidelines</title> <meta itemprop="name...

One of my favorite design updates is called Screen Pinning. At first, I wasn’t sure how this would be useful, but I have definitely found some great uses. Screen Pinning is a feature where you can keep one screen “pinned” to the display, even after you lock the phone. When you unlock your device, your screen will still be there.

Here’s how to pin your screen: Enable the option under settings>security>screen pin On. Now when you tap the recent apps button (the square) you’ll see the pushpin icon available. If you press that pushpin your screen will now be pinned. The user will not be able to use anything other than the program that you’ve pinned. For example: if you pin the settings screen, you can navigate all the way through any of the settings, but you won’t be able to back out of the settings screen to the home screen or switch to any other program. To end the screen pin session, touch and hold the back and recent apps button at the same time. You’ll see a little text pop up that the screen has been unpinned.

As I said before, I wasn’t sure how this feature would be of use to me. My first useful experience was using my phone as my shopping list. It was awesome to be able to pin the screen and use the app. I also set the display to no timeout. Before, I would always accidentally hit the home button, or back button and have to get back into the app. A better use is when I hand my phone to my kids to play a puzzle game. Now that I can pin the screen, then can click all over the screen and I don’t have to worry about them calling someone or sending texts. Similar, you can pin the dialer screen when your friend asks to borrow your phone to make a call, you don’t have to worry about them using anything else.

Thanks for reading, for more information you can go to Nexus 6

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.