cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Nexus 6 - The Modern Trinity, Part One: Innovation

Journeyman

The Modern Trinity, Part One: Innovation

The Nexus line is known more for its abilities to update to the newest iteration of Android before any other manufacturer's devices. Obviously because the Nexus line is meant to be the device(s) that give us, the end users, the most pure Android experience, this in itself brings with it innovative features for the Nexus 6 and the like. Innovative features such as the ability to completely cast your phone to a TV and view from there anything and everything you are viewing on your device (Perfect for casting the new season of Community only on Yahoo Screen, which does not support Chromecast natively!!!!!!). BWQ.pngChromecast paired with the Nexus 6 provides other innovative abilities as well; such as, sharing pictures with the family, playing games such as Wheel of Fortune, Big Web Quiz and Scrabble Blast. It also brings an entire new dimension to video chatting in Hangouts. The list of Chromecast and other innovative offerings given to Nexus 6 users due to these first to adopt Android software releases are long and profound...but how does the Nexus 6 itself show us cutting edge innovative offerings?

big web quiz.jpg

Big Web Quiz by Google Creative Lab

From a hardware aspect the list is very comprehensive. The Nexus 6 is quite arguably the first Nexus device that was given the attention of being a leader in the market from a hardware perspective when compared to its predecessor's. The previous Nexus devices, although strong in the hardware department in their own right, never really leaped ahead of other devices that were currently in the market. Instead they were geared towards being balanced in the ability to be both powerful enough to run current and future Android iterations while remaining extremely affordable.

The Nexus 4 launched on the Google Play Store for $299 and $349 for the 8&16GB variants; while the Nexus 5 saw a $349&$399 release for the 16&32GB variants. Now don't get me wrong, this was very much a great bang for your buck offering, considering most high end devices were going for $600-$649 MSRP at the time. You did sacrifice screen size and some of the fun perks, however, that other devices were packing. But the most compelling reason to purchase the Nexus 4&5, if you were someone who wanted the best of the best, was because you wanted the best variant of Android without waiting for the manufactures and/or carriers to release it on their timeline.

Google and Motorola broke this mold with the Nexus 6; and with that came an obvious bump in launch price, $649 for the 32GB. So other than the extra 1.5 inch of diagonal screen real estate, what justifies this price point?

The Nexus 6 is a powerhouse comparable only to other powerhouses on market such as the Note 4 and the LG G3...but it goes beyond matching them. The Nexus 6 brings with its 5.96in AMOLED display full quad HD capabilities, making it the largest display to offer the stunning beauty of Lollipop's Material Design. But how does it add benefit and surpass other devices with QHD displays? Many critics feared that a QHD display (1440p) would draw much more power and thus battery drain compared to the HD (1080p displays). So enter Motorola's Turbo Charge.

Unlike other QHD devices on the market, the Nexus 6 combined with Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 and Motorola's Turbo Charging - both were actually first seen on the 2nd Gen Moto X - has the capability to: "Get up to 6 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging. With a large 3220mAh battery, you get over 24 hours of use from a full charge." (Per Google on their official Nexus 6 website)

Next the Nexus 6 added and delivered on the ear pleasing sound of dual front speakers. This topic has been discussed at length in other blogs, so I'll keep my thoughts brief: 1) This should be the new norm for all devices going forward period. 2) They sound better than any other device I've heard, including the H/K HTC M8 edition.

Not stopping there Motorola packed in a 13MP camera with a f/2.0 aperture for the photographer in all of us. This will allow it to feel faster, and it includes an optical image stabilization system which makes it ideal for low light performance. Also it is capable of recording video in stunning 4K!

Let's not forget about the fact it's equipped with the Snapdragon 805 system chip, the top dawg in Qualcomm's 32bit arsenal. It's an iteration of Qualcomm's Krait CPU core architecture, packing four cores running at up to 2.65GHz, in additon it comes with 3GB of RAM, and Adreno 420 graphics. But Google didn't stop there, it actually improved upon the Snapdragon system chip in the maintenance release of Lollipop 5.1. Essentially they disabled a feature that was preventing all 4 cores running at once (by design). By doing so the quad cores are now always up and ready, and they handle switch offs quick and more seamlessly, while also reduceing power consumption by reducing these switch offs. In fact I personally got 8hrs and 14mins of on screen time usage the day after I updated...my historical average across all devices was probably around 4.5 hrs, with maybe a best case scenario of 6 hrs...I wish I had taken a screenshot Smiley Sad.

All in all the Nexus 6 delivers with 2 levels of Innovation: first with software designs meant to run Android at its full potential, and second with the hardware power that any true flagship device and market leader deserves. It caters to those that stream video, music and photographers alike. Sprint customers can use the Nexus 6 in all it's glory "without hesitation with unlimited data, talk and text with the Sprint $60 Unlimited plan or the Sprint Family Share Pack offering the best deal in data to consumers and double the sharable high-speed data for the same or lower price as its competitors." -Sprint

This blog was completely written on the Nexus 6 using WPS Office by Kingsoft Office Software Corp Limited, while typing on my IOGEAR BT keyboard and casting directly on my TV via Chromecast...

chromecast.jpg

While casting my screen to my TV I took this picture...fun times

PRODUCT AMBASSADOR DISCLAIMER

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee