cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Turning on "always listening" ("Ok, Google") on the Nexus 6

Journeyman

Nexus-6-phones.jpg

(source)

One of the biggest selling points of the Nexus 6 was one of the biggest selling points of the Moto x;

always listening.  Whether it be that I am in the shower and cannot get to my phone, my hands

are tied up washing the dog, or I am just feeling too lazy I can't bother reaching that extra 2 inches,

the always listening feature helps me on a daily basis.  In fact, the first two things I do when I wake

up are asking Google what time it is, and what the weather is like.  This feature, however, was not on

by default when I set up the phone, so here is how you can set up for yourself:

1.  Make sure you have the latest version of the Google app.  (To get the latest version, go to the Google

app page on the Play Store and touch "Update".

2.  Open the Google app.

3.  In the top left corner of the page, touch the Menu icon > Settings > Voice.

4.  Touch "Ok Google" detection

5.  Check the boxes next to "From Google app" and "Always on"

6.  Follow the instructions to teach Google what your voice sounds like.

(source)

Please note that you will need to be in a quiet room before you do this, since any sound artifacts will

corrupt the recording, and it will force you to do it again.  Now you are probably wondering "Ok, can talk

to it now, but what do I say?".  Here is a handy list of Google voice commands that will assist you with your

new assistant.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee