cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: What my Nexus 6 can't do

Journeyman

So much has been discussed about the Nexus 6 and Android Lollipop (5.0-5.1) and what both the device and OS are capable of. Everything from delivering unparalleled dual front speaker audio, to capturing moments with the 13 MP HDR camera and shooting video in 4K. I've written about the insanely smooth OS and my love for the snappiness and seamless transitions, as well as my personal experience with some insanely awesome battery life/screen on time stats.

But what can't the Nexus 6 do? If you are out there reading about this beauty you're probably thinking to yourself, "Well gosh, why shouldn't I buy this phone?" Let me give you some of my thoughts on the other side of the coin.

FULL DISCLOSURE - YOU SHOULD BUY THIS PHONE in my opinion. The pure Android experience and lack of bloatware alone make this one of the sharpest phones on the market, toss in the size, hardware specs and the aesthetics and BOOM you got yourself a device that will truly last and be relevant for way more than 6 months to a year.

I do find myself longing for an IR Blaster on this device. Previous phones of mine, Note 3 for instance, came with this; and it's especially helpful for when the baby misplaces the remote. When bouncing from Netflix movie, to HULU show and then to YouTube channel, volumes are never consistent...the need to be able to turn the volume down/up is kind of a big deal, for now I'll use my tablet when the need arises. But I've also thought about just buying one of these guys:

large-button-universal-remote.png

Another thing my Nexus 6 doesn't do is it doesn't have WiFi calling capabilities directly from the stock dialer. Now if you integrate your Sprint number to be your Google Voice number (something only Sprint provides ), you can use the Google Hangouts Dialer to accomplish this. Now truth be told, I have not given it a try - although I really need to and should. It would be nice if it just integrated in with the Stock dialer. I do use Hangouts for video chats and love it, just haven't had time to sit down and play around with it. One thing to point out, if your Google Voice number is not your Sprint number, integration will require you dropping your Google Voice number...I believe you have 60 days or 6 months to reactivate it though, if it doesn't work out...or do what I've done, get a Google Voice number under one of your other GMail accounts.

And lastly, more and more phones are going this way, so this isn't an issue with the Nexus as much as it is with the industry...Yes I have a 50GB free Dropbox account, 50GB free MEGA account, a 50GB free Box account (all of these 50 GB free acounts are not standard, I acquired them years ago while thye had invite promos. All of those services do offer a sstadard amount for free accounts, just less than 50GB), Amazon Prime (Unlimited photo storage and 5GB for videos and other files for Prime members), Google Drive's standard 15GB cloud storage (doesn't count photos less than or equal to 2048x2048 - but all of mine are bigger) and Google Play Music's now 50,000 free song storage (plus I have all access so the storage for songs is a moot point)...So yes I have all of these options and PLENTY of space out on the cloud...But I love the security, and the knowledge that I have a hard backup of these things via a micro-sd card. For now I will continue to wirelessly sync with my Home network and dedicated Home Cloud Server (fancy way to describe a portable hard drive linked to my home network for file sharing and storage.) Also, I havent filled up a 32GB internal storage phone before...so this is a nit-pik of mine. I also find myself longing for a removable battery, but as OS's have become more stable I have found this need slowly diminish.

And lastly, it is 2015 already! Why on earth have we not come up with a way that our phone can do the dishes and fold the laundry yet! I can order and pay for Taco Bell, I can open/close my doggie door, heck I can automate mostly anything with some of the things out there (we use WINK at our house for most things like door locks, lights and thermostat)...but build me a device that can automate some of my daily manual labored honey dos already!

But again, I have yet to come accross a device that is able to incorporate everything I want, while supplying me with the needed battery life to use it all....But the Nexus 6 comes closer than anyother, and I still give it a 10 out of 10!

PRODUCT AMBASSADOR DISCLAIMER

"isclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.