cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 6 Blog

0 Comments

I have been using the Nexus 6 as my daily driver for a few months now, and can honestly report that the Nexus 6 is my favorite device to date. Typically the way it goes is that the latest and greatest device is your favorite, as I am well aware of this phenomena. However, since I have had the Nexus 6, I have used other new, stellar iconic devices as well, and the Nexus 6 is still my favorite.

I have always been a fan of Motorola, way back to my Nextel days using the Motorola PTT devices. Fast forward to this decade, Motorola still is solid and does not let down. The Motorola Nexus 6 has a 6 inch AMOLED Quad HD display and is 6.2 inches in length. It is a great size and makes it very enjoyable to view media content on the device. In the past, I never would watch Netflix on my device as the screen was too small, but with this Nexus 6, watching Netflix is a pleasure. Of course, I don’t use it to replace my tv, but it is a great solution for viewing content when I have some down time and am by myself.

The other benefit of the Nexus 6 is that it runs a clean vanilla version of Android, without any bloatware or manufacturer UI atop it. It runs Android as it was meant to run. Also, it will receive the updates prior to any other devices. Being a geek, this is pretty important to me, as I enjoy using the latest and greatest and am one to install alphas and betas with any chance I get, so having the latest version of Android is a joy.

Nexus6-2.png

The sound on this device is fantastic, btw. To me, it is comparable to the speakers of the HTC One product lineup. It is pretty impressive.

The device does not allow for memory card expansion. I was a bit concerned about this, but have not encountered any issues with lack of storage space. I have downloaded many hours of music to my device, have taken plenty of pictures and videos, and still have enough space.  I do use cloud storage as well with Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, Flickr, etc. Lack of storage space truly has not been an issue, and I am a power user.

Speed wise, the Nexus 6 performs. It has a 2.7 Ghz quad core qualcomm snapdragon processor with 3GB of RAM. I have compared this with several octacore devices and haven’t noticed any speed differences where the Nexus 6 would fall behind. It feels as snappy as ever.

I have been very pleased with the battery life on the Nexus 6. It has a 3220 mAh Lithium Ion battery providing up to 24 hours of talk time. I find that I can easily last an entire day without charging my device. Also, with the included Turbo Charger, it provides up to 7 hours of battery life in only 15 minutes.

Okay Google! This device does support the ability to say “Okay Google” with the screen off, allowing you to ask it a question or tell your Nexus 6 what to do, without even touching your device. This is one of my favorite features, very convenient, and is yet another reason to choose the Nexus 6, in my opinion.

The Nexus 6 is a true winner in my book, and I highly recommend it. The Nexus 6 is available for purchase at Sprint.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

3 Comments

The Nexus 6 has been by far my most favorable device experience quite possibly ever. I have been extremely fortunate to carry most flagship devices in the past, but none have compared as well to the Nexus 6.

At first there were some hiccups, duplicate texts, getting used to Google voice as my voice-mail client and setting up and using Hangouts as the way to achieve WiFi calling. But those were minor hiccups at best, esspecially since the 5.1 lollipop update address and corrected the duplicate text issue.

The Nexus 6 has provided me with spectacular sound via the 2 front facing stereo speakers. As I built two new raised garden beds in my garage I used these bad boys to listen to music as I worked. In the past I would hook a device up to my speaker system in order to get the sound quality and volume needed to hear over my breathing, let alone the noise drills, banging wood and other various things that occur happen.

The battery life has been unmatched. PERIOD. Many people gauge battery life on how long can the device last me through the day...well that's one way. The Nexus 6 got me through the day, everyday. I, however, like to focus more on "How long can the device last with actual usage." I measure this by the amount of Screen On Time I can achieve between charges. The Nexus 6 is in a league of it's own. I refuse to sacrifice power/features over battery life. If I have to charge a phone 100 times a day, I will. So i keep my screen brightness set at full with it changing based on the surroundings. I achieved no less than 5.5 hours of screen on time throughout my time. I reached the 8+ hour mark several times. Previous devices ranged in the 4-5 hour range at best. Plus with the Turbo Charge feature you can add 6 hours of usage in 30 minutes!

The Nexus 6 is the most complete phone currently available. It relies on no gimmicks. If you ask me the best way to take advantage of Sprint's Best Value in Wireless plans, is paired with the Nexus 6 from Motorola and Google.

This device has become the standard for how I will judge all device, especially Phablets, going forward.

Thanks Google!!!

PRODUCT AMBASSADOR DISCLAIMER

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Nexus 6 Final Thoughts

I was so happy to win the Nexus 6 device from Motorola Insiders And when the device finally arrived, I was even more ecstatic to open the box. I knew the specs of the device, but I still wasn’t prepared the size of the phone. Maybe it wasn’t the size of the phone that caught me off guard, but more the size of the screen. I’ve owned one other 6in screen device, and a handful of large 5.5+ screens, but this was my first 6in Quad HD screen. I can’t explain the detail and quality of the of the images and videos on this screen.

Because the screen is so large, consuming content isn’t so much like watching something on a large phone, but more like watching something on a more mobile tablet! The phone is about the same size as many other devices with smaller, less resolution screens. This makes holding the device feel great, and not too big in your hand. I mean, it’s big, but not too big.

Along with the big screen is big sound. The dual front facing speakers are perfect for watching those high quality videos I mentioned earlier. With the sound coming straight at you, you won’t have to do that weird cupping thing with your hand to try and bounce music from the back of your phone to your face. I can’t believe front facing speakers aren’t mandatory for all phone manufacturers yet, but in my opinion it should be. It makes so much sense! And in the case of the Nexus 6, they’ve nailed it! These speakers are not only facing you, they are LOUD. I don’t have any problems hearing my phone blaring music from across the room. A feat usually reserved for the prestigious phones built for audiophiles.

As good as the screen and sound are, the best part of having the latest Nexus device is, of course, having the latest version of Android! As I mentioned in an earlier post, Android 5.0 is Google’s latest iteration of their Android operating system. It is also the coolest update I’ve ever experienced. I love the new “tabs” for multi-tasking and the material design aspect of the UI is just great. The new runtime ART is silky smooth and incredibly fast!

All of the new design and animation updates are fantastically showcased on the Nexus 6. If you’re looking for the perfect device to consume high quality media, and experience the best that Google’s Android OS has to offer, then take a seriously good look at the Nexus 6.

Thanks for reading, for more information you can go to Nexus 6

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Nexus 6 Spigen Coverage

Protecting your device is something we should all take seriously. The most popular devices on the market right now cost upwards of $500-$600 to purchase. Insurance is nice, but prevention is always the best option (and cheapest!) The problem with many cases is they either add bulk to provide protection, or they sacrifice the design of the phone itself. I’d rather go without a case on any of my phones simply to not cover up the beauty and ingenious designs the manufacturers come up with. Then there are the cases that try to allow the design to show through but don’t offer much protection because of poor quality materials or just poor design of the case itself.

As of last year, my favorite case company is Spigen. They won me over with their slim armor design for my phones and it’s the first case I look at when I get a new device in my hands. I love the blend between design and protection that this line of cases offers. Even better, since we all don’t have the same taste in cases, Spigen offers a number of case lines. Some the focuses on bulkier protection, down to a clear plastic design for the most minimalist of case hunters.

Nexus 6 Case.jpg

Source: Nexus 6 Cases and Screen Protectors | Spigen | Spigen

For Nexus 6 owners, the Spigen Slim Armor case is a great option that helps you protect your device and allows you to take full advantage of the 6in quad HD screen. Here is the product details per Spigen’s website:

Slim has never been stronger. The Slim Armor™ case for the Nexus 6 provides complete all-around protection while maintaining a slim profile. The Slim Armor is double layered with a TPU case and a polycarbonate hard case to provide additional protection in a form-fitted design. The case features a completely reimagined designed to complement the Nexus 6's smoother edges. The buttons are now flush with the case with embossed glossy symbols for a refined look and comfortable experience. The bezel has a subtle glossy accent for a sophisticated look and better grip. The TPU case features Air Cushion Technology corners allowing shock absorption from external impact. The 4-Point Rear Guard protects the metallic finish backplate by lifting the backplate above the surface.

That’s a lot of stuff! For my experience, the case has offered perfect drop protection, and the kickstand is extremely useful for watching stunning quality videos on the most gorgeous screen. The rest of the technical jargon is probably really important as well, but I am a simple mind. I just know that the case does what I want it to, and a little bit more J for the price, (Mine was $29.99) you just can’t beat it!

0 Comments

nexus-6-review-phone-1200-80.jpg

Summarizing this phone is really hard to put in words. I am a huge fan of the Nexus line and love stock android. The nexus line always keeps pushing the hardware envelope and makes the ecosystem as a whole much better. Looking at the hardware alone this is a beautiful phone, with the 2k screen resolution, front facing speakers and the best camera a Nexus has ever had. I have preached on how amazing this hardware is and it will hold up easily to the heavy hitters coming out later this year, I have no doubt. Every Nexus has stood the test of time for at least 2-3 years which is the average consumer ownership.

If you're an android purest and love updates, the nexus will always be your phone. Knowing that as soon as an update is released you can push it manually with a little know how or wait a few days. Always having the cutting edge straight from google. Google is always pushing the ecosystem to be more optimized and user friendly and lollipop is showing the fruits of their labor. The material design from Google is really the best looking OS out on the market. We are so far away from the days on gingerbread! The big additions for 5.1 would be the battery saver, ART runtime and multitasking functionality. First off the battery saver much a much needed feature stock android has been lacking for years. The other manufacturer skins have been doing the battery saving feature for years and very well. Switching from the Dalvik runtime to ART has had a huge boost in performance. This is an unsung feature because it’s how the OS runs apps in the background. Last but not least the new multitasking cards UI is really fantastic and easy to navigate.

Lollipop-2-590x330.jpg

I spoke about this a little earlier but this is the first Nexus that I have been eager to use the camera. I’ll be honest Samsung is still king in the optics department but this is a close second in my opinion. Googles camera app is very simplistic and that’s all I need. I’m sure if you’re a camera enthusiast, you would need to download a third party app with finer tuning.

nexus-6-camera.jpg

All in all I have not been happier with any phone to date. Having a huge gorgeous high resolution screen with amazing duel stereo sound is the best.

- First image via techradar.com

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee. 

0 Comments

Nexus 6 Screen Pinning for Android 5.0

One of the main reasons someone would get or want a Nexus device is the opportunity to be one of the first people using the latest Android version. For Nexus 6 owners, that is Android 5.0 aka Lollipop. Lollipop is a major overhaul of the Android system including a new set of buttons for: Back, Home, Recent apps. Google also revamped the interface incorporating what they call “Material Design.” You can find more information about Material Design here: Introduction - Material design - Google design guidelines</title> <meta itemprop="name...

One of my favorite design updates is called Screen Pinning. At first, I wasn’t sure how this would be useful, but I have definitely found some great uses. Screen Pinning is a feature where you can keep one screen “pinned” to the display, even after you lock the phone. When you unlock your device, your screen will still be there.

Here’s how to pin your screen: Enable the option under settings>security>screen pin On. Now when you tap the recent apps button (the square) you’ll see the pushpin icon available. If you press that pushpin your screen will now be pinned. The user will not be able to use anything other than the program that you’ve pinned. For example: if you pin the settings screen, you can navigate all the way through any of the settings, but you won’t be able to back out of the settings screen to the home screen or switch to any other program. To end the screen pin session, touch and hold the back and recent apps button at the same time. You’ll see a little text pop up that the screen has been unpinned.

As I said before, I wasn’t sure how this feature would be of use to me. My first useful experience was using my phone as my shopping list. It was awesome to be able to pin the screen and use the app. I also set the display to no timeout. Before, I would always accidentally hit the home button, or back button and have to get back into the app. A better use is when I hand my phone to my kids to play a puzzle game. Now that I can pin the screen, then can click all over the screen and I don’t have to worry about them calling someone or sending texts. Similar, you can pin the dialer screen when your friend asks to borrow your phone to make a call, you don’t have to worry about them using anything else.

0 Comments

The Nexus 6 is one of my favorite devices to date, and that says a lot since I have used quite a few. Even though it is nearly perfect for my needs, I still like to customize certain items on the device, one of which is the voice output.

I prefer listening to a UK version of English, rather than the American English. Somehow, it just sounds more polished and is more enjoyable for listening. I figured others might feel the same way, so here is a tutorial on how to change your voice output on your Nexus 6.

Step One

Change your default language

• Settings > Language & Input > Language > select English (United Kingdom)

ttslang.png
Step Two

Change your Text-to-speech output language

• Settings > Language & Input > Speech - Text-to-speech output
    • Under preferred engine, you will see “Google Text-to-speech engine(You might try to install other TTS engines from Google Play which may or maynot work. I prefer to stick with the standard options offered from Google).
    • Tap the “gear” icon to the right of “Google Text-to-speech engine.”
    • Tap Language.
    • Select English (United Kingdom)
    • Tap “Settings for Google Text-to-speech engine” and make certain “Auto-update voices” is selected.
    • Go back one screen and tap “Install voice data
    • Select English (United Kingdom). Then select the English (United Kingdom) voices you want to install… either male, female, or both (I installed both, and selected the male version of the voice).
    • Go back three screens (you should be at Settings > Language & Input > Speech - Text-to-speech output.
    • Under “Default Language Status” you should see “English (United Kingdom) is fully supported.” 
    • Tap on Speech Rate to select how fast or slow you’d like your speech rate to be (my preference is “Faster”).
    • Tap on “Listen to an example” to play a demonstration of speech synthesis.
    • If the rate is too fast or slow, adjust as necessary.

ttsoutput.png
The above will change the voice output for Google Maps and other apps that use TTS output. I find that when I use Google Maps, the voice sometimes toggles back and forth between UK male and female. It does make it a bit more interesting with the two voices tag-teaming my routes.

Step Three

Changing the Voice Output on Google NowIf you’d like to change the voice to English (UK) for Google Now, there are a few settings you need to change in Google Now (I recommend doing this so when you query Google you’ll receive a pleasant UK voice for the output).

• Open Google Now > Settings > Voice > Languages > make certain only “English (UK)” is selected (You can also reach this setting by visiting Apps > Google Settings > Search & Now > Voice > Languages > and make certain only “English (UK)” is selected).

gnvoice.png

On my device, I mistakenly had multiple English voices selected simultaneously (UK, US, and Australia). This caused my Google Now to keep using the US version of English instead of the UK version. After tinkering a bit, I discovered I needed to remove the other checked languages and keep only English (UK).

Something to note: in Google Now settings there is an option called “Search language.” This should be listed as “English (UK).” If you change it back to “English (US),” it will change your language output back to American English again. So, don’t do that and be certain to keep it as “English (UK).”

Now, you can take pleasure in having a more polished and pleasant voice speak to you from your brilliant Nexus 6. Enjoy!

The Nexus 6 is available for purchase at Sprint.

0 Comments

The best place to read reviews about phones on the Sprint network is on Sprint.com. Customers who have used the device in many different ways can share their thoughts and opinions on how the phone works for them. The Nexus 6 has over 100 reviews and is sitting just above 4 out of 5 stars. Having used the phone for the past month I can say I agree with a lot of what I read. Here are some of the reviews pulled from Sprint.com

4-7-2015 10-50-36 AM.jpg

4-7-2015 10-52-04 AM.jpg

4-7-2015 10-52-45 AM.jpg

0 Comments

google-play-movies.jpg

I have never been a fan of watching movies or TV shows on my phone. The longest videos I watch are usually either music videos or stuff on You Tube. The Nexus 6 has a huge beautiful screen on it so I decided to test out watching movies & shows to see if it could change my mind. Google decided to give out the original Transformers movie for free so it was the perfect opportunity to try it out.

The screen and phone itself are beautiful to look at, but the sound really knocks the whole thing out of the park. You really get awesome sound for a phone and it made the movie watching experience that much better. I did not have to use headphones which was a huge plus for me. The screen on the Nexus is almost the same size as many of the smaller tablets on the market. This makes it a perfect phone to watch a movie on. About halfway through the movie I realized that I was watching this thing on my phone and not a tablet or TV. Obviously you will not get the same experience on a phone as you would on a larger television, but I now find myself watching TV shows and movies on my phone more often. I love the portability factor of it and the fact that you can multitask if needed on the go. If you have not had a chance to see and hear the Nexus 6, go to your local Sprint store and check one out!

0 Comments

Nexus6_logo.png

Nexus6.png

I have been carrying the Google Nexus 6 on my personal line for several weeks now and I have to say it is a solid phone now. I say it like that because I did run into a few things when I first started using it and mainly around battery and signal strength.

Capture.PNG

My house is in the country 5-7 miles from the nearest tower so I am use to having LTE upstairs and 3G downstairs with my other phones. My Nexus 6 before 5.1 update would generally have 1x and was very frustrating. Now, I receive LTE upstairs and sometimes even downstairs which is really great....

The problem I had before the 5.1 software update was with battery life. Before the recent software update I had to charge my phone up around 5 in the evening. Now, I am able to go the whole day on the same charge and only connect it when I go to be at night around midnight sometimes a little earlier depending on activity...

main apps 2.PNG

The only other thing I had to figure out was finding apps I similar to what I use with other phones with OEM overlay... a few searches in Google Play Store and I was able to set my Nexus 6 up the way I wanted it. That is one of the great things about Android is the ability to setup your phone the way you want it...

main apps.PNG

My final thoughts on the Nexus 6 is that it is a great phone after the recent 5.1 software update. The nexus 6 provides a large crisp display, 2 front facing speakers that deliver excellent sound and is very fast. The phone feels real solid when holding it and I now have it activated as my backup phone while I review other new phones Sprint carries.

Visit a Sprint store yourself and check out the Google Nexus 6 to see if it is the phone for you!

Thanks,

Blue

Your Sprint Product Ambassador team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

I've always been cautious about buying a 'phablet' six-inch phone - would it fit in my daily wear,and would it be prone to drops?  The old Galaxy S3 was quite large (granted, in a huge Otterbox case) and I really wasn't sure how well a 6" phone would fit in my pockets.

What I've found - the Nexus 6 fits in mens jeans pockets, barely.  The top edge of the phone sticks out and as you move you do risk pushing the phone up and out.  As you drop trou for biological needs you risk the phone clattering to the stall floor. Slotting the phone into a mens jeans front pocket - works well, but mind your keys from scratching the phone.

20150402_131303.jpg

Womens jeans, it's not going to fit.  You'll be risking losing your phone if you try to pocket the Nexus 6.

A size comparison - from left to right, the Nexus 6, the LG G Flex 2, and the Sharp Aquos:

20150402_131519.jpg

So, yes a 'phablet' does fit in some pockets, but you'll be better off getting a case or carrying it in a jacket or bag of some sort.   I think the tradeoff is worth it - the massive screen size is outstanding and it's essentially replaced my tablet and most of my laptop use.

- Will England

Disclaimer: I work for Sprint and volunteer as a Product Ambassador.  The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I took the Nexus out to the batting cage as I prepare for my first ever attempt at playing softball. Since I was born and raised in India, the only game I grew up playing was Cricket. I’ve grown up in the States so I know the finer points of the game;

1. Hit the ball
  2. Run the bases
  3. Catch the ball
  4. Tag the bases

The batting cage was at my coworker and fellow team member krsheets house. I handed him my Nexus to take a few snaps of me doing my best Ken Griffey Jr impersonation. This was a great opportunity to try out the Nexus’s ability to take a good action shot. Would it step up to the challenge, or would it leave us with a feeling of MEH!!!

I have to say the feeling for me was Meh! The overall quality of the photos were decent, however the shutter speed was slow thus never quite taking the shot at the desired time of ball and bat meeting. I finally got tired of the default camera app and switched to my favorite camera app (Manual Camera). While the results were better, they weren’t revolutionary. The shutter speed’s slowness was still ever present. I give a fair warning to those with kids, the camera will give you fits at times. My kids tend be hyper and asking them to hold a pose is like asking a Romulan and a Vulcan to hold hands. It frustrates me that a phone with all these goodies can’t seem to get one of the most important functions that a phone in today’s day and age must accomplish.

softball.jpg

Thanks

Stanny George

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

nexus6_front_back.jpg

I was very excited to get the Nexus 6, it was my first phablet, and I own the trifecta of Nexus devices the Nexus 10, 5, & 6. I was ready to shed the extra weight from the bloat wear the manufactures install and free myself to make the device mine and install what I want not what they want.  Right out of the package I was floored by the device looks amazing loaded right up and was amazing from the start.  Right out of the box I was impressed and it hasn’t stopped.  The battery life is great for such a large device, it has no lag or hesitation the device runs smooth as butter and the screen is amazing.  Then there are the front facing speakers I didn’t think anyone could top the HTC One devices with their sound and speakers, but this phone makes some Bluetooth speakers look like toys.  Bottom line is this phone is fantastic and if you don’t want anything installed that you didn’t install this is your phone!

Thanks for reading have a good day!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

So much has been discussed about the Nexus 6 and Android Lollipop (5.0-5.1) and what both the device and OS are capable of. Everything from delivering unparalleled dual front speaker audio, to capturing moments with the 13 MP HDR camera and shooting video in 4K. I've written about the insanely smooth OS and my love for the snappiness and seamless transitions, as well as my personal experience with some insanely awesome battery life/screen on time stats.

But what can't the Nexus 6 do? If you are out there reading about this beauty you're probably thinking to yourself, "Well gosh, why shouldn't I buy this phone?" Let me give you some of my thoughts on the other side of the coin.

FULL DISCLOSURE - YOU SHOULD BUY THIS PHONE in my opinion. The pure Android experience and lack of bloatware alone make this one of the sharpest phones on the market, toss in the size, hardware specs and the aesthetics and BOOM you got yourself a device that will truly last and be relevant for way more than 6 months to a year.

I do find myself longing for an IR Blaster on this device. Previous phones of mine, Note 3 for instance, came with this; and it's especially helpful for when the baby misplaces the remote. When bouncing from Netflix movie, to HULU show and then to YouTube channel, volumes are never consistent...the need to be able to turn the volume down/up is kind of a big deal, for now I'll use my tablet when the need arises. But I've also thought about just buying one of these guys:

large-button-universal-remote.png

Another thing my Nexus 6 doesn't do is it doesn't have WiFi calling capabilities directly from the stock dialer. Now if you integrate your Sprint number to be your Google Voice number (something only Sprint provides ), you can use the Google Hangouts Dialer to accomplish this. Now truth be told, I have not given it a try - although I really need to and should. It would be nice if it just integrated in with the Stock dialer. I do use Hangouts for video chats and love it, just haven't had time to sit down and play around with it. One thing to point out, if your Google Voice number is not your Sprint number, integration will require you dropping your Google Voice number...I believe you have 60 days or 6 months to reactivate it though, if it doesn't work out...or do what I've done, get a Google Voice number under one of your other GMail accounts.

And lastly, more and more phones are going this way, so this isn't an issue with the Nexus as much as it is with the industry...Yes I have a 50GB free Dropbox account, 50GB free MEGA account, a 50GB free Box account (all of these 50 GB free acounts are not standard, I acquired them years ago while thye had invite promos. All of those services do offer a sstadard amount for free accounts, just less than 50GB), Amazon Prime (Unlimited photo storage and 5GB for videos and other files for Prime members), Google Drive's standard 15GB cloud storage (doesn't count photos less than or equal to 2048x2048 - but all of mine are bigger) and Google Play Music's now 50,000 free song storage (plus I have all access so the storage for songs is a moot point)...So yes I have all of these options and PLENTY of space out on the cloud...But I love the security, and the knowledge that I have a hard backup of these things via a micro-sd card. For now I will continue to wirelessly sync with my Home network and dedicated Home Cloud Server (fancy way to describe a portable hard drive linked to my home network for file sharing and storage.) Also, I havent filled up a 32GB internal storage phone before...so this is a nit-pik of mine. I also find myself longing for a removable battery, but as OS's have become more stable I have found this need slowly diminish.

And lastly, it is 2015 already! Why on earth have we not come up with a way that our phone can do the dishes and fold the laundry yet! I can order and pay for Taco Bell, I can open/close my doggie door, heck I can automate mostly anything with some of the things out there (we use WINK at our house for most things like door locks, lights and thermostat)...but build me a device that can automate some of my daily manual labored honey dos already!

But again, I have yet to come accross a device that is able to incorporate everything I want, while supplying me with the needed battery life to use it all....But the Nexus 6 comes closer than anyother, and I still give it a 10 out of 10!

"isclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

The Nexus 6 has a 13-megapixle camera on the back and this is a great camera.  The camera captures very vivid colors and works great indoors and outdoors.  I have taken a few photos outside and I didn't really have much trouble getting a great picture.  Indoor pictures were also great, I only really had one issue and that was with really low lighting I was not able to get good pictures.  I did have another trouble trying to take pictures of my 2 year old using the HDR.  My pictures always came out blurry because my daughter could not stay still and when you use HDR it takes about 3-4 seconds for the shutter to go off.  But the HDR feature is really great for outdoor scenery shots.

The video on the phone was great as well.  The Nexus 6 has the capability to shoot video in 4K resolution but this really would only be good if you have a 4K TV.  Also there are no special feature's with the camera app.  You wont be able to do slow-motion video or funny pictures such as fish eye .  Google has made everything on this phone simple.

"Disclaimer:  The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.  They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community.  Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.  The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity."

0 Comments

N6-moreeverything-1600.jpg

(source)

The battle of the big phones has never been...bigger (pun intended).  In the last year, we have seen

more big phones come out (and not flop!) than ever before, but no one could have predicted that

Google's Nexus line, known for coming out with one phone a year, would splash into the big phone

market in a BIG way (Yes, pun intended again.  I love puns.  I have so much pun with them...you get the

idea).  This was definitely a risky move, and frankly, I thought it was dumb at first.  I was sure I would

have to abandon my beloved Nexus line.  I hated big phones.  I thought they were stupid, impractical,

and inherently ostentatious.  It's a frickin' phone, dag nabbit, not a tablet!  Not everyone has Shaq sized

hands!  Outrage!  The humanity!  After a month of having the phone, I can say I'm genuinely upset it took

me too darn long to see the light, and you'll see why below.

Specs

Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 APQ8084 at 2700MHz , and an Adreno 420 graphics processor

Memory: 3GB of RAM, with 32GB (or 64GB) of built in Storage space

Display: 5.96" (let's call it 6"), 493 ppi, 1440 x 2560 pixels, AMOLED

Camera: 13 megapixel rear Camera, Dual LED Flash, Optical image stabilization, 4k recording capability,

and a 2 megapixel from facing camera

Battery: 3220mAh, Qi wireless charging capable, Turbo Charger

image_8724.jpg

(source)

Screen

Before I write anything else, I have to admit something about my screen preference.  I love AMOLED.

I love the technology behind it, I love what can be done with them (like with active display on the Moto X,

and the similar technology this phone has), and I love the color saturation.  With that said, I can tell you

that this has one of the best screens, if not the best, I have ever used.  I loved the LG G3 screen, but this

AMOLED screen just makes everything pop a little bit more, even if pixels are sacrificed.  I say that almost

hyperbolically, since you'd probably need a computer to tell the difference in pixel densities between the

Nexus 6 (493 ppi) and the G3 (538 ppi).

The screen takes up almost all of the horizontal space, except for a few millimeters of bezel on each side.

Videos look sharp, especially the 4k content available via certain mediums (e.g. YouTube), and pictures

look phenomenal.  The software has an adaptive brightness feature, which modifies the screen brightness

depending on ambient lighting.  This is pretty standard nowadays, but I mention it because I feel it does an

outstanding job for the most part.  There would only be couple of situations where I would manually adjust it,

and that would be when I am trying to read in the dark (the screen can get so dim, everything on the screen

almost looks black and white.  It's great!) or making sure I have the absolute brightest display possible when

the Florida sun beams down on it.

There is also a new feature to the Nexus phone that its predecessors had not seen before, and that is

Ambient Display.  This is very similar to the Moto X's active display, with a few tweaks.  Just like

with the Moto X, the screen dims all the pixels except those necessary to display the notifications that

come in.  The great thing about this is that you can choose which apps display notifications here.  So, if

you want to see your emails come in, but you always get stuck in a group chat with 10 people trying to plan

out the next bachelor/bachelorette party,  and have not downloaded the Facebook messenger app either

due to laziness or principle (Why do I need two apps to access the same social network?  What's next, an

app just for pokes?  Is that what Tinder is for?  I'm so behind on what's hip now), you can choose what is

going to blink on that beautiful six inch screen so you don't risk looking like you're at a rave (Is that still a

thing? See, I'm lost.) with constant screen flickering.  You can swipe away the notifications you deem unimportant,

or double tap to take you right into the app.  There are also 2 small icons on the bottom left and right of the screen,

which will launch either the phone app or the camera app by "grabbing" the icon and swiping to the opposite side of the screen.

MOTO-NEXUS-MORE-ROOM-CARD-540nyxtuy59%20(1).png

(source)

Aesthetics/Ergonomics

Curves, baby!  Motorola has done a superb job with making a big phone feel, well, not so big.  Yes, it may

take some getting used to if you have average size hands, but the curved back makes it that much easier

to transition from a smaller phone.  I'm partial to a curved back.  It makes holding the phone easier and more

natural.  Although there is a precedent for the curved back (Moto X, HTC One, et. al.), it is probably most

noticeable on the Nexus 6 since the phone is so big.

Motorola has also placed the power and volume buttons in a very easily reachable area, with the "volume

down" button being at about halfway up the phone, and the power button being about 35% of the way

down, if you're looking from the top.  All 3 hard buttons have a nice "click" to them, and the power button has a

textured feel to differentiate it from the smooth surface on the volume rocker.

The phone won't be the lightest you'll ever pick up, but it's not excessively heavy, especially considering

the huge battery and the amount of screen real estate available.  I personally like phones that feel like

*something*.  Devices that feel like paper just seem too fragile for me, but that is obviously a personal

preference.  The Nexus feels solid, and after using it heavily for about a month, I am pretty confident

it will survive a fall or two (obviously, a case is always recommended).  I also think it will be safe from

succumbing to the well publicized bending issues that other phones have been dealing with.

Camera

I am a casual picture taker.  I pull out my phone to take a quick pic of my puppy or something funny, and

send it to friends, family, or share it on Facebook.  That's about it.  I'd like to think that I'm a normal camera

user.  With that in mind, I'll tell you that this camera fulfills all of my needs.  The camera takes pictures fast,

and if you're not in much of a hurry, you can switch on the HDR feature to take the best possible shots

of that fancy meal you made your significant other.  The focus is not bad, but if for some reason you

are having a bit of a disagreement with the phone as to what should be focused, you can easily choose

what the subject of the picture should be by clicking the area on the screen you want the attention

to be on.

Even though I'm far from considering myself even an amateur photographer, I am a bit of a snob with my HD

videos, especially with 4k televisions becoming (relatively) more affordable.  Luckily, the 4k video capabilities

satisfy my itch.  You will have to switch this on manually, however, since it is not the default.  You will also

want to keep in mind that, the higher the resolution, regardless of whether it's a picture or video, the more

space the file will take up.  I have taken several high-definition pictures and videos, and the amount of

space used per file is reasonable, but you'll still want to keep an eye on it if you like to keep movies and

music on your phone.

Overall user experience

The phone is fast; faster than any phone I have ever used.  That is expected, of course, since we're

talking about a brand new phone with state of the art specs.  There were some that had issues with the

Nexus 6 not have a 64-bit processor, but does that have any visible impact in everyday performance?

Not likely.  I have yet to see a stutter or any other UI issues.  In fact, this was the first phone I have had

that hasn't given any trouble in the first week of use.  No force closes, or lag...nothing, and I am very sensitive

to UI lag.  I did start seeing a couple of force closes with the Facebook app after upgrading the phone to 5.1,

but that's obviously a Facebook app issue, and happens rarely.

The Nexus line is known for having pure Android always on board, which means there are no custom user

interfaces slapped on to slow things down.  This, along with the amazing job Google has done with the software,

running on top of the incredible CPU, GPU, and amount RAM on the device, make this so fluid you'd think

you're on a slip and slide.  To me, that's extremely important.  I don't care about benchmarks (which are all good)

or how many impractical features can be aggregated until performance is impacted.  All I care about is a straight forward

user interface that doesn't bog down performance, and allows me to launch apps quickly, switch between

them smoothly, and perform simple things like using a calculator or checking my email without making my

eye twitch.  The Nexus is a blank slate.  If you prefer custom interfaces, however, there is no easier phone to

put that on.

MOTO-NEXUS-HERO-CARD-540w0ftz8d8.png

(source)

Best of all, the phone is unlocked!  This is great for people that like to travel outside the country,

which makes it easier for them not to get stuck at the airport for hours because they thought someone said to

stand by the posh fan next to the cop station, when they actually said the trash can next to the mop station.

Ok, unlikely, but still, it's really handy!  The other thing to remember is that this phone can do this because

of the latest and greatest radios, which means that, if there is LTE available in the area, you're getting LTE.

With Spark available in my area, I get up to 60 megs down.  In fact, I get kind of lazy sometimes since I also have

unlimited data, so I walk around the house, not on WiFi, watching House of Cards in HD, because I can.

Obviously this drains the battery a little faster than if I were to be on WiFi, but I have yet to freak out

and reach for my turbo charger because my phone can't get me through the day.  It just hasn't happened.

The ultra high definition screen, along with the sheer size of it, would make you think that the battery

would drain somewhat quickly, but it doesn't.  Let's say, one day, it does...you have a turbo charger!  15

minutes of charge time on this thing gets you up to 8 hours of extra battery life.  It took me an hour and 45

minutes to go from 8% battery to 100%.  That's insane.  That's like "race down to the kitchen to eat the

freshly baked cookies your grandma made before your brothers get to them" fast.

If you actually raced down the stairs to get those cookies, and happened to forget your phone,

just go back into the room, say "Ok, Google.  Find my phone", and you'll here it's pings, desperately trying

to help you find it (you can also use the Android device manager to do something similar, amongst other things).

The functionality doesn't end there, though.  You can make appointments, set reminders, search, and so much

more, just by talking to your phone.  It's not turned on by default, but you can learn how to turn it on by clicking here.

Speaking of fast, the speakers are AMAZING (I'll admit, I was feeling lazy with the transition from the last

paragraph).  The speakers can get so loud, I actually have to turn them down.  That's just crazy.  There are

laptops that don't get near the volume or depth that these things have to offer.  It's actually a bit unbelievable.

In my opinion, these are actually better than the ones on the M8, not that the M8 speakers were bad by any

stretch of the imagination, but these are just that good.  Combine that with the fact that they are front facing

(a feature I think should be mandatory on any phone), and you get a very decent experience for games,

movies, and music.

Final Thoughts

Yes, it's big, but it doesn't feel as big as it is.  There may be an adjustment period, especially if you're

switching from something like a iPhone 4s, but it's worth the day or two of awkwardness.  The phone is

fast, the speeds on Sprint are fast, and UI is smoother than Justin Timberlake.  Looking at anything on

this HD screen is a delight, not only because of the extra real-estate, but because everything just pops.

Watching a movie on this screen, stutter free due to the software enhancements and the hardware used,

with these speakers, makes this a true media phone.

It's fast, it's big, and it's sexy.  Don't believe a word I've said?  Go into a Sprint Store and check it out.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Nexus 6 - What do I Think....

As a flagship phone this handset (phablet) is top of the line. Its hands down one the best devices on the market today. The crisp view from the luxurious 6" screen size makes viewing any material a pleasure. From movies, recorded video playback, watching youtube video. all come through clear.

To add to this viewing comes a pair of high quality dual stereo speakers. located on the front of the device, these speakers create a full experience that creates a surrounding affect when listening. No more muffled sound or placing the device in a way to hear the sound. You can now watch something on the screen and at the same time get the full experience created.

Nothing could even happen if it wasn't for this overhauled lollipop 5.1 OS. This version of android brings more elements together making this type of ecosystem one that user can be more comfortable with. From the ease of use and many ways of accessing menus and options to the many application available to make life easy. Some new features including the priority notifications option is one of my favorites. I like how I can control when and how my notifications and alerts can come through. https://www.google.com/nexus/new/videos/N6_Anim2_V04.webm

My overall favorite this phone has to offer may be the camera itself. The 13MP camera with its optical stabilizing has me hooked. I feel I can shoot some nice videos and not feel any jerking motion being seen. Add in the affects the camera has with the 360 sphere picture option is sweet companion to the ability this phones camera has.

Google knocked it out of the park when creating and releasing this beast of a phone into the market. It has shown how it can stand up to the competitors. Offering a strong sturdy device with high end features and outstanding OS. This device is a winner in my book.

N6-grid2-l.jpg N6-grid1-l.jpg N6-grid3.jpg

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

NEXUS-6-back-camera.jpg

Google brought in some improvements with the Nexus 6 with the camera. The Nexus 6 has a 13 megapixel camera that uses a Sony IMX214 CMOS sensor with a fast f/2.0 aperture and optical image stabilization to help you capture the best picture possible. There is a LED light on left & right side of the camera lens for those moments you need to use the flash. 13 megapixel is more than enough for a smartphone unless you need to print something larger than a 16x24 and not to mention storage of pictures larger than that.

Camera modes: The Nexus 6 has 5 shooting modes that are accessed by swiping your finger from the left screen edge to the right on the screen

Screenshot_2015-03-27-14-52-20.png

Photo Sphere - this mode allows you to take 360 degree pictures and is a lot easier to use that some of the other phones I have tried this on. Complete a picture by moving your phone along dots located on the screen.

Panorama - this mode is similar to Photo Sphere and has dots to connect to complete the panorama picture. Using this feature was a lot easier than what I have used on other phones for panorama pictures

Lens Blur - this mode helps give you the professional looking photo by allowing you to change the point of focus and blurring the rest like what you would see with a DSLR camera

Camera - this is the normal camera mode for taking pictures

Video - this mode provides the ability to shoot 720p, 1080p Full-HD or 4K video clips.

Those are the 5 basic shooting modes available on the Nexus 6. There are short tutorials at the beginning of Lens Blue and Photo Sphere & Panorama (these two use the same tutorial) modes.

Lens Blur

Blur.PNG

Photo Sphere & Panorama with example of Panorama dots to connect

Pan.PNG

The Nexus 6 camera is so much better than the Nexus 5 and could probably do a few more blogs on just the camera alone. The camera passed for how I use it and will share more on the camera next week....

Visit a Sprint store to check out the Google Nexus 6 camera yourself!

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

nexus6_front_back.jpg

The great thing about the Nexus is that it is pretty much a blank canvas, you can be the pablo picaso of your device.  The old Burger King motto of Have it your way can be applied to the operation of the Nexus. The 2 apps I installed first was Android Pro Widgets app and One More Clock Widget app (which is a weather and clock widget), there are both free versions and also for more options there are paid version.  Android Pro Widgets gives you a ton of widgets like Agenda & Calendar, Contacts, Bookmarks, Messaging, Facebook, Twitter.  I use the Contacts widget and the Calendar widget.  I can’t live without having quick access to contacts to make it easier to call them.  With the calendar widget I like being able to see my events or the view of the entire month. Since my first Android device I now can’t live without a clock and weather widget in one.  That’s were One More Clock Widget comes into play and satisfies my need for a clock and weather widget.  There are a ton of cool designs and different types of clocks to fit your taste and style.  With both of these apps the paid version gives you access to features that you cannot get in the free version.  I am a simple person I use 3 screens 1 main screen with apps and a clock widget, 1 with my contacts widget, and 1 with the calendar widget,  that is the great thing about the nexus its your choice its not forced upon you by the manufacture.  

apw`.jpgapw2.jpg

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

omc.png

0 Comments

Apple Pay has been in the news for more quite awhile now and has really helped to spread awareness in the “paying via mobile device” arena. However, as all true Android fans know, Google Wallet has been allowing payment via NFC (Near Field Communication) for years and beat Apple to the punch on this one. The “paying via NFC with Google Wallet” feature is available in the US on select Android devices, including the Nexus 6.

With the Nexus 6, you can easily and securely “Tap and Pay” at any capable point of purchase terminal, in which thousands of merchants have in their stores across the United States.

What Exactly Do You Mean by “Tap and Pay?”

What do we mean by “Tap and Pay?” Through something called Near Field Communication, your device is capable of conducting secure, mobile payment transactions at certain point of purchase terminals, simply by tapping your device on the terminal. You do not need to take out your wallet, credit card, checkbook, etc. Simply tap your device and follow the simple instructions on the screen.

How do you know if a point of purchase terminal is NFC or “Tap and Pay” compatible? NFC-enabled point of purchase terminals are identifiable by the following symbol:

tapandpay.png

When the above symbol is present, it is an indication that it is “Tap and Pay” ready and compatible with your NFC-enabled Nexus 6 via Google Wallet.

How to Set Up Tap and Pay on your Motorola Nexus 6

1. NFC must be enabled on your Motorola Nexus 6 device. To enable NFC go to: Settings > Wireless & Networks - More > NFC (enable)
  2. Open the Google Wallet app on your Nexus 6. If you do not have this app, you can install it from Google Play. In the Google Wallet App, tap “Set up tap and pay”  and follow on-screen instructions.tapandpayportal.png
  3. Check the settings to make certain Google Wallet is selected in Tap & Pay (this should be the case). To check this, go to: Settings > Device - Tap & Pay > Google Wallet (should be listed and selected)

How to Use Tap and Pay with your Motorola Nexus 6

1. Look for the Tap & Pay symbol at the point of purchase terminal
  2. Wake your Nexus 6 (no need to open the Google Wallet app)
  3. Tap the back of your Nexus 6 to the terminal
  4. Select Credit (if using debit, enter your Google Wallet pin if prompted)
  5. Enter Google Wallet Pin: When prompted, enter your Google Wallet pin and tap one more time
  6. Look for confirmation on the terminal and you are finished! It is that simple.

So, if you’re intrigued with “Tap and Pay” functionality and the idea of not having to take out your wallet everywhere you go, check out the Nexus 6 by Motorola. The Motorola Nexus 6 is available for purchase at Sprint.

1 Comment

Google is rolling out an awesome new "security" feature to devices with Android 5.x "Lollipop" called "On-body" and I'm THRILLED about it!

Android Lollipop has a number of helpful and intuitive security options, called Smart Lock options, to help you get the most of your Nexus 6 while keeping it secure. Smart Lock options include:

• Trusted devices - Keeps phone unlocked while connected to user defined Bluetooth or NFC. e.g. Connected to your car's Bluetooth.
  • Trusted places - Keeps phone unlocked based on exact geo-location. e.g. Unlock your phone when you get home.
  • Trusted face - Exactly what it sounds like; face recognition.

Each of those options has their place and use case, but what about when you're not at home, not tethered to your car's Bluetooth, and too busy or active to be staring at your phone's screen, but want to keep your device unlocked for handy access? This is exactly the scenario for people like me who go for walks every day and use my Nexus 6 to supply my pace-pumping music. If you're an avid walker / jogger you realize the frustrations of trying to access your favorite playlists while keeping pace and not veering off the path while you deal with phone security.

That's where the On-body Smart Lock setting comes to the rescue. With the On-body security feature of Android Lollipop we don't have to completely forego security. Just enable the new feature in Settings > Security > Smart Lock: On-body detection.

Once enabled, your phone will stay unlocked AFTER YOU UNLOCK IT INITIALLY and get moving. As long as you're carrying your device in your hand, pocket or bag, your device will stay unlocked and ready for you. The second you put your phone down it instantly locks.

on-body_s.jpg

The On-body option will be automatically added to the Smart Lock options after your device has been updated to the latest Google Play Services. The feature is not dependent on Lollipop 5.1, it's dependent on the latest version of Google Play Services, so make sure you're keeping your apps and device up to date.

Here is a consideration for use of On-body security: Your phone only knows when you've set it down, not when it's been "passed off." If you live or work in a high-crime area where smartphone thefts are high, and there's a decent likelihood of having your phone snatched from your hands whilst you jog, then you may not want to enable this security option. That said, even if your device is stolen while on the run, the thief would need to know your security code to make changes to device security. But as long as they can stay moving and search through your phone they may gain valuable information.

Each of the Smart Lock options have "pro's" and "cons" so make sure you carefully consider each before setting up and enabling. I firmly believe you can have reasonable device security while using one or more of these options responsibly. As with great power comes great responsibility, so don't get too lax with the security settings.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

1 Comment

(source)

There is no shortage of features to talk about on the Nexus 6, but arguably the most convenient one

is the ability to wirelessly charge the device.  Even though the turbo charger is amazing when you are

in a hurry, there is nothing like laying that beauty on your desk or nightstand, and just grab and go

whenever you are ready, never worrying about tangled wires or messing up the charging port when

you power yank that thing after realizing you are late to the next job interview.  Those few seconds

can mean the difference between getting stuck behind a train or stop light, which means you look

bad at the interview, which means you do not get the job as the next Liam Neeson, which means

someone will be taken.  You don't want someone to be taken, do you?  Of course, not!

61BkdUbQPDL._SX425_.jpg

(source)

That's where the wireless charger comes in handy.  Historically, getting a wireless charger meant

having to deciding whether or not you wanted to make your next mortgage payment.  I kid, of

course, but those things used to be so expensive.  Well, they still average around $20 or so, and

although prices can go much farther north than that, this little option gives you the ability to wirelessly

charge without wire-breaking the bank.  This is a steal.  I remember jumping on a Nokia wireless

charger when it went down to $20, and it was by far the cheapest option at the time, especially

considering the great reviews it had.  This is akin to that: amazing price, great reviews, and small

enough to not be obstructive on any surface you put it on.  Please note that the AC adapter is not

included, but the USB cable can be plugged into a computer or power outlet with a USB port on it.

Yes, that's a real thing.  You can even get one of these if you don't feel comfortable enough to

fiddle around with the screws on a wall socket.

31PUwfBDjjL.jpg

(source)

Point is, wireless charging is not just for the U.S.S. Enterprise anymore.  There are always features on

a phone that are ignored by the user, especially with so many bells and whistles coming with devices

nowadays, but this is not one you are going to want to disregard.  I highly recommend using

this feature, especially for the lazy cats out there.  This was made with you in mind.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company

that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely

to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the

information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent

the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official

capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

I've been looking for a good camera app for use with all device for a few months now. I searched on line and found that the overall concise opinion showed Manual Camera as being one of the best.

I decided to download and try out the app, now I am pretty sure that I am one of the most frugal (some would say cheap) people out there, so for me to break down and actually spend $2.99 on an app is a lot.

That being said, I am happy that I purchased this app, it gives the feel of the point and shoot camera with all the options and even an dial on the bottom right.

Manual Camera is just what the name suggest, it gives the user control of a lot of aspects of the photo shooting process such as;

Shutter speed

Focus distance

ISO

White Balance

Exposure Compensation

geo tagging

Raw format (for post production)

Timer

Screen brightness

Sounds off/on

Manual Camera  takes full advantage of Google's lollipop's camera2 API.

For those who don't want to drop a thousand bucks for a DSLR, this app is for you. It lets you shoot excellent pictures like a pro.

I found some good youtube tutorials on the app to increase your knowledge and let you shoot like the pros.

For those who have kids, you know the struggle of getting your kids to hold the smile only for them to loose attention while your camera auto focuses and then takes a few seconds to take the actual shot.

Manual Camera is fast, the shutter speed will allow you to take those good pictures of your kids smiling with their eyes open (not an easy task).

unnamed.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee)

0 Comments

No this is not the name of the new Liam Neesan movie, though at this point what else title can be used.

Protection at a decent price is the key in my mind for the Nexus 6. I want to be able to put a good case and screen protector but I am not the guy to spend over 20 bucks.

The first day I got the Nexus showed me that I had to protect this bad boy. I had the phone to my wife and just like a Tampa Bucs wide receiver, she drops the thing. I knew then that I had to contain this device is something for those who have butter fingers.

I searched Amazon for something good yet inexpensive. I am not one to break the bank when purchasing anything, in other words I am a cheapskate.

Yootech makes a great screen protector whose price point is appealing as well as the standards that they uphold in their product.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWL33OO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

untitled.png

I have not tried taking a hammer to the screen, nor do I plan to. However its nice to know that in the event that I decided to go crazy on my device this glass would protect the phone from me.

untitled1.png

The Non Slip cover is a decent case to envelop your phone in, it provides adequate protection and yet doesn't add too much bulk to the device.

untitled3.png

Over all, I paid less that 20 bucks for these two and am satisfied thus far in my investment.

Thanks

Stanny George

Disclaimer:

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Nexus 6 - "Say Cheese"

Who here likes cameras.... now a day’s people don’t really carry cameras unless they are a professional photographer. Most users just use their phones camera. The Nexus 6 has taken the camera and made it one impressive piece of equipment. The device comes with a 13 Megapixel rear camera and includes the following features: F2.0 aperture, optical image stabilization, 4k video abilities, and dual LED ring flash.

Using the phones camera I noticed it was very sensitive to lights and darks particularly the area that which you have the camera focus on. When taking a picture depending on where you focus and determine how the light is being portrayed. Take a look at these pictures the one that is darker the focus was placed on the lighter part of the petal. The lighter picture the focus was placed on the darker portion petal. Each brings out colors in a different way. I am o expert photographer but that this was something I had to learn.

IMG_20150224_125844.jpg IMG_20150224_125801.jpg

One of the features of the camera that I have been using a lot is the ability to take a panoramic. This phone makes it such a simple process. You start by taking the first picture then determine if you want to go left or right to make the panoramic shot. In the center of the screen there will be a circle and a ball. You align the circle and the ball until they sync up and the camera will auto take the next picture. You keep doing this alignment in the same direction you started or the panoramic shot. Once you have taken enough photos for your shot you select the check mark and the phone will compile the pictures taken into one photo. I recently used this feature to document my home flooring upgrade being done.

PANO_20150317_095211prior.jpgPANO_20150319_222248after.jpg

The final picture shot is a true 360 degree (Photo Sphere) Shot. This shot is similar to the Panoramic where you have a ball and a circle to align on the screen. The only difference is you will do a full 360 degree capture. The picture once complete and accessed will look amazing and will even work with the phones accelerometer for position and movement. You basically have 3 ways to view the picture. you can view it like any other picture scrolling left and right within the image when looking at it or you can view it via the way it was intended through photo sphere captured way. While view the picture the regular way there will be a world icon with a panoramic looking picture on top of it. By clicking this icon will enter you in the photo sphere view. This will give you the view of the picture through your phone as though you were standing right there taking it. This option auto starts a circle movement but can be navigated manually swiping left, right, up, and down. Or you can select the GPS icon in the bottom left corner and view the image utilizing the phones accelerometer. Therefore which ever direction you face the phone you will be viewing the picture taken that direction. This feature allows you truly to view the picture as it was intended to be done.

PANO_20150308_152705.jpg

This camera has taken the ability to make great pictures a possibility. I can clearly say it is my go to option when taking photos. With all the features it has no one will need to carry a separate camera again.

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Capture.PNG

Two weeks into using my Google Nexus 6 and was a little frustrated not having my Tab option in my Chrome browser. I did a little playing around with my Nexus 6 and found out how to add the Tab option back into my Chrome browser. I would like to share this information with others on how to add it back.

Here are the steps and they are real easy...

1. Open Chrome
  2. Tap the 3 dots in top right corner
  3. Tap on settings
  4. Tap Merge taps and apps
  5. Tap the toggle to off
  6. Tap Ok on the pop-up

Now Tab option has been added back into Chrome browser and here are some screenshots....

Screenshot_2015-03-20-11-43-11.pngScreenshot_2015-03-20-11-43-23.pngScreenshot_2015-03-20-11-43-34.png

Here is an example of the Chrome Tabs turned back on

Screenshot_2015-03-20-11-43-55.png

Another thing I would like to share is how to take a screen shot. Many Android phones have the same step (s) to take a screensot.

1. Hold the power button and volume down at the same time.

That is it... just press the power button and volume down at the same time to take screenshot of something on your phone.

unnamed.png

Follow me as I will be blogging my Google Nexus 6 experience along with any tips i find along the way. If there is something particular you would like to see, reply to the post and let me know.

Thanks,

Blue

0 Comments

Are you a fan of March Madness? Are you stuck at work with some 5in screen that can only put out a measly 1080P video? Are you wishing I would stop asking a reader these questions and just tell you how to improve you situation dramatically? Ok. I will…. Buy a Motorola Nexus 6.

If consuming video content on the go is important to you, then there is no better device than the new Motorola Nexus 6. Its sports a Quad HD 6in screen for crystal clear videos. The sound quality from the 2 (count them!) front-facing speakers is incredible. I was blown away by the sheer volume that is put out from these speakers. But this is not just noise either, the sound quality is fantastic as well.

Nexus 6 (1).jpg

If you’re new to Quad HD, you may not know what you’re missing. 1080P is great, I mean… it IS full HD. But Quad HD is 4X the definition of standard HD. Which basically means if you’re watching anything on your non-Quad HD device then you’re missing detail that could be important! Especially during this march madness, you’ll want to make sure you see every bit of action.

Front-Facing speakers should be required for all OEMs’ phones. It just makes sense for the sound to be coming at you instead of having to cup your hand behind the phone to try and redirect the sound so you can actually hear it. With the Motorola Nexus 6, the huge, amazing screen is accompanied by huge, amazing speakers that punch you in the face with fantastic sound. Whether you’re watching videos or streaming music the sound will amaze you.

0 Comments

neo.jpgI went into full mamma bear mode when I received this phone, I felt the need to protect this phone from my butter fingers. Enter the Spigen series of cases, Spigen is my go to company for all cases, they provide good protection while adding an aesthetically pleasing side to all their cases.  I purchased the Spigen Neo Hybrid Series, this case gives you a slim fit with good protection it also comes in a few colors.  The case is mostly TPU with a plastic bumper that goes around the case to hold it in place, this bumper also has raised volume and power buttons for easy access.  Spigen also makes a slim armor that gives you more protection and the added bonus of a kick stand, however there is a tradeoff with protection and that is size. For this reason, I decided to go with the Neo Hybrid, it was the right fit for me.  Now let’s move on to the screen, my personal opinion is the Nano glass screen protector.  The Nano glass is a thin sheet of glass that cover the screen.  This glass helps with shock absorption and scratches.  The best part is the installation for me was easier than other types of screen protectors that I have used. With the Nano glass you get stellar clarity and the touch and feel of not using a screen protector.   After the case and screen protector I feel safe.

spigenarmor.jpg

0 Comments

The Modern Trinity, Part One: Innovation

The Nexus line is known more for its abilities to update to the newest iteration of Android before any other manufacturer's devices. Obviously because the Nexus line is meant to be the device(s) that give us, the end users, the most pure Android experience, this in itself brings with it innovative features for the Nexus 6 and the like. Innovative features such as the ability to completely cast your phone to a TV and view from there anything and everything you are viewing on your device (Perfect for casting the new season of Community only on Yahoo Screen, which does not support Chromecast natively!!!!!!). BWQ.pngChromecast paired with the Nexus 6 provides other innovative abilities as well; such as, sharing pictures with the family, playing games such as Wheel of Fortune, Big Web Quiz and Scrabble Blast. It also brings an entire new dimension to video chatting in Hangouts. The list of Chromecast and other innovative offerings given to Nexus 6 users due to these first to adopt Android software releases are long and profound...but how does the Nexus 6 itself show us cutting edge innovative offerings?

big web quiz.jpg

Big Web Quiz by Google Creative Lab

From a hardware aspect the list is very comprehensive. The Nexus 6 is quite arguably the first Nexus device that was given the attention of being a leader in the market from a hardware perspective when compared to its predecessor's. The previous Nexus devices, although strong in the hardware department in their own right, never really leaped ahead of other devices that were currently in the market. Instead they were geared towards being balanced in the ability to be both powerful enough to run current and future Android iterations while remaining extremely affordable.

The Nexus 4 launched on the Google Play Store for $299 and $349 for the 8&16GB variants; while the Nexus 5 saw a $349&$399 release for the 16&32GB variants. Now don't get me wrong, this was very much a great bang for your buck offering, considering most high end devices were going for $600-$649 MSRP at the time. You did sacrifice screen size and some of the fun perks, however, that other devices were packing. But the most compelling reason to purchase the Nexus 4&5, if you were someone who wanted the best of the best, was because you wanted the best variant of Android without waiting for the manufactures and/or carriers to release it on their timeline.

Google and Motorola broke this mold with the Nexus 6; and with that came an obvious bump in launch price, $649 for the 32GB. So other than the extra 1.5 inch of diagonal screen real estate, what justifies this price point?

The Nexus 6 is a powerhouse comparable only to other powerhouses on market such as the Note 4 and the LG G3...but it goes beyond matching them. The Nexus 6 brings with its 5.96in AMOLED display full quad HD capabilities, making it the largest display to offer the stunning beauty of Lollipop's Material Design. But how does it add benefit and surpass other devices with QHD displays? Many critics feared that a QHD display (1440p) would draw much more power and thus battery drain compared to the HD (1080p displays). So enter Motorola's Turbo Charge.

Unlike other QHD devices on the market, the Nexus 6 combined with Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 and Motorola's Turbo Charging - both were actually first seen on the 2nd Gen Moto X - has the capability to: "Get up to 6 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging. With a large 3220mAh battery, you get over 24 hours of use from a full charge." (Per Google on their official Nexus 6 website)

Next the Nexus 6 added and delivered on the ear pleasing sound of dual front speakers. This topic has been discussed at length in other blogs, so I'll keep my thoughts brief: 1) This should be the new norm for all devices going forward period. 2) They sound better than any other device I've heard, including the H/K HTC M8 edition.

Not stopping there Motorola packed in a 13MP camera with a f/2.0 aperture for the photographer in all of us. This will allow it to feel faster, and it includes an optical image stabilization system which makes it ideal for low light performance. Also it is capable of recording video in stunning 4K!

Let's not forget about the fact it's equipped with the Snapdragon 805 system chip, the top dawg in Qualcomm's 32bit arsenal. It's an iteration of Qualcomm's Krait CPU core architecture, packing four cores running at up to 2.65GHz, in additon it comes with 3GB of RAM, and Adreno 420 graphics. But Google didn't stop there, it actually improved upon the Snapdragon system chip in the maintenance release of Lollipop 5.1. Essentially they disabled a feature that was preventing all 4 cores running at once (by design). By doing so the quad cores are now always up and ready, and they handle switch offs quick and more seamlessly, while also reduceing power consumption by reducing these switch offs. In fact I personally got 8hrs and 14mins of on screen time usage the day after I updated...my historical average across all devices was probably around 4.5 hrs, with maybe a best case scenario of 6 hrs...I wish I had taken a screenshot Smiley Sad.

All in all the Nexus 6 delivers with 2 levels of Innovation: first with software designs meant to run Android at its full potential, and second with the hardware power that any true flagship device and market leader deserves. It caters to those that stream video, music and photographers alike. Sprint customers can use the Nexus 6 in all it's glory "without hesitation with unlimited data, talk and text with the Sprint $60 Unlimited plan or the Sprint Family Share Pack offering the best deal in data to consumers and double the sharable high-speed data for the same or lower price as its competitors." -Sprint

This blog was completely written on the Nexus 6 using WPS Office by Kingsoft Office Software Corp Limited, while typing on my IOGEAR BT keyboard and casting directly on my TV via Chromecast...

chromecast.jpg

While casting my screen to my TV I took this picture...fun times

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

I have been using the Nexus 6 by Motorola for about three weeks now as my daily driver and really love this device. The Nexus 6 has actually replaced my tablets, as I have barely touched any of them in the past three weeks.

Nexus6-2.png

Portability

The size of the Nexus 6 really has me hooked. For those of you that think it would be too large, I say it is not too large at all, and for me is the perfect size.

Dependent upon clothing, most of the time it will fit in my pocket. For example, if you’re wearing jeans, you shouldn’t have trouble sliding the Nexus 6 into your back pocket, as it is a slim and sleek at .39” thick, 6.27” long, 3.15” wide, and weighing a light 6.49 ounces.

Regarding holding the device, the slight curvature of the back assists with this, making it comfortable to the grip. Personally, to assist me with holding devices, I use a Flygrip and affix one on the back of every device I use. It helps to prevent dropping, assists with one-handed operation, and operates as a stand (both vertically and horizontally).

Media Consumption

The Nexus 6 has a 6” AMOLED Quad HD display with a 1440 x 2560 pixel resolution with 493 ppi. In addition, it has a powerful 2.7GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor with a whopping 3GB of RAM. Also, the long-lasting 3220 mAh battery provides over 24 hours of usage on a full charge. In addition, the dual front-facing stereo speakers are incredibly loud for such a device. 

Consuming media...watching videos, listening to audio, and reading articles, is an absolute joy on this device. I prop it up on my desk, on the table, in bed, etc., and access content on that brilliant 6” inch screen, with incredible sound, and quick responsiveness. I am no longer using my tablets as a result.

Replacing the Tablet with the Phablet?

If you’re in the market for only one device… and you need to choose between a smartphone or tablet, the Nexus 6 “phablet” might be just perfect for you, as you’ll get the best of both worlds. It is close enough to the size of a 7” tablet, yet small enough for you to use as your daily driver device.

I understand that use-case scenarios vary, and many times there are specific needs for tablets. I am simply stating that if you can only afford one device at this time, the Nexus 6 would make a great solution.

The Nexus 6 is available for purchase at Sprint.