cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive calls while WiFi is on... LMY47D lollipop 5.1

Journeyman

Cannot receive calls while WiFi is on... LMY47D lollipop 5.1

I recently updated to 5.1 LMY47D (Nexus 6) and now cannot receive calls while connected to WiFi. I can toggle WiFi off/on and receive calls for about 5 minutes with WiFi on then not.

Sprint support is clueless they want to say something is wrong with the phone... So they replaced it with a new one... Same issue.

A tech finally acknowledged that it was an issue with the radio's in the 5.1 update LMY47D (Nexus 6) and Sprint's network and they are working on it.

Have not noticed any other issues with services i.e. SMS, MMS, voice, LTE.

Can confirm this is not an issue when I put in an AT&T Straight Talk sim card for my Nexus 6.

If this issue is not resolved soon Sprint will lose a 10+ year old customer.

103 REPLIES 103
Journeyman

Re: Cannot receive calls while WiFi is on... LMY47D lollipop 5.1

ehh- same issue most of us have had since launch and sprint pretends like they don't know anything about it.. Put your phone into 3g mode.. should fix the problem.. For some reason while in LTE mode it has a hard time switching on the fly to 3g mode so your phone will ring.. yes- WIFI makes this issue worse.. needless to say nothing is wrong with our Nexus phones.. it's the sprint network that is the problem..

also i have been with sprint for over 10 years and I'm about to leave as well..

Journeyman

A few Sprint users have said that flashing the LMY47E update has resolved the call issue for them. This update does have a newer radio version over LMY47D (Baseband MDM9625_104446.01.02.95R to MDM9625_104446.01.02.98R). I hesitate on installing this myself as (1) requires unlocking the bootloader, (cannot sideload on a phone running D already so risk of bricking, breaking warranty, etc) and (2) it sounds like this was a release more designed for Verizon network Nexus 6s. Although any of the factory images should work on any Nexus regardless of carrier, I'm just not sure if it will break any Sprint network functionality or bump me out of future OTAs.

What I'm hoping this means is that there will be another OTA after D (AND SOON PLEASE!!) that will introduce an improved baseband for Sprint users and improved call connectivity. This is a very frustrating bug.

I'm still trying to verify for myself that the missed calls only occur while on LTE and not on 3G. Not entirely convinced of that yet, as I feel like I've seen it on both LTE and 3G.

Journeyman

Turning off 4g/LTE and using 3g while connted to WiFi is working for me. Its a better fix than not using WiFi but Sprint better get their act together fix this issue to move on.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Ottay - Do you know for sure if you live or work in a Sprint SPARK market? I'm trying to chase down any possible leads. Thanks for helping us and being a Sprint customer.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

I can also confirm that switching to 3G resolved the missed calls issue for both myself and my wife (we both have Nexus 6's running 5.1). If the phone is left idle for a while connected to LTE, incoming calls will start going straight to voicemail and texts will stop being delivered. If we then make an outgoing call, such as to voicemail, run a profile update in Settings, or send an outgoing text, missing texts will come through and incoming calls will ring for a little while, but then goes back to the "dormant" state after another short period of inactivity. None of this occurs on 3G. We are in NYC.

Journeyman

Ninja_CJ - not in SPARK market

Journeyman

da5id - So, simply not using your phone for a bit and you stop receiving calls while on 4g? Wow, I thought it was only when WiFi was on. I'm going to check and see if I have the same issue & report back.

Journeyman

Leaving my phone idle while on 4g/LTE doesn't stop my Nexus 6 from receiving calls. But, turn on WiFi while on 4g/LTE and about 5 minutes later my Nexus 6 will no longer receive calls.

Journeyman

Ninja_CJCJ - Just checked Sprint coverage map and I am in a SPARK market with the best coverage based on the map

Journeyman

Interesting. I'll try to verify this again. I thought for sure I was having the issue whilst not on WiFi, but I'll test again.

Wizard

I also have a Nexus 6 with Android 5.1, but I don't have that issue. This is the first time I have heard of that. Head over to the forums at http://www.androidcentral.com and find the Nexus 6 forum. The people on those forums are spectacular.   If you have an issue..someone has the answer.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat