cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 6 requires a nano sim, good luck getting Sprint to give you one

Journeyman

Nexus 6 requires a nano sim, good luck getting Sprint to give you one

I ordered my Nexus 6 through the google play store and expect to receive it in the middle of next week.

In the idea of being prepared I went out today to get a nano sim for the phone since my current phone doesn't use one.

First 2 stores didn't have any

3rd store was a repair center and had them but said that Sprint has many different nano sims and they are device specific and without knowing which nano sim the Nexus 6 needs they couldn't give me one.

4th store was the Sprint campus store in Reston, VA. They said that the Nexus 6 isn't in the database yet to tell what model sim it takes and they couldn't know which one to give me until the database is updated.

Then I chatted with International Chat and was told the same regarding the database not having the Nexus 6 and not knowing which sim to send me, I was then told that if they were to send me a nano sim that was recommended for the M8 or iPhone6 or MotoX my LTE would not work. They also let me know that they have no idea when they will know what sim it is or when they can order it and it may be a while after I get the phone until they can provide the sim.

So I get the phone in less than a week and may have to wait an undetermined amount of time until I can actually add it to my plan.

We will see what happens first, Sprint gets me a nano sim or Tmobile gets a new customer.

19 REPLIES 19
Master

Re: Nexus 6 requires a nano sim, good luck getting Sprint to give you one

DrBurgle

We hate to see you leave and would like you to use your phone through our network. The UICC SKU for the Nexus 6 will be CZ2124LWC. This is the same SKU used for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus. Just let the store know this is what you need.

Lindale
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thank you very much. I went back to the repair center store and was told they didn't have any. However I did use worldwide chat again and showed your comment in this thread to them and they ordered me the part number you gave above without hassle.

Thanks

Master

DrBurgle,

You're welcome. If you have any additional concerns, please let us know.

Lindale
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I've ordered a White 32GB from Motorola and based on what I read above, we will be able to get the SIM card and it will work with Sprint, correct?  I kind of had to do something similar last year with the Nexus 5 I bought from Google Play.  Like so many others have mentioned it really is a shame that Sprint cannot provide more of a selection, they seem to go all out for the iPhone, but not all of us belong to the cult.  I've been with Sprint since 2001 and have to admit the last couple of years have been very disappointing.  Anyway, can you confirm my question, that would be great.

Master

\

Uncw0023 - Thanks for the question. WE should be able to provide you with a SIM for your device. Once it arrives please contact us so we can get this taken care of. Thanks! - Sean
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks Sean, one more quick question, would that same sim card work with the 64gb phone, my son is thinking on purchasing the Nexus 6 64gb.

Thanks again

Master

Uncw0023,

Sean says you are welcome! The same SIM will work with the 64GB version. If you need any further assistance, please let us know!

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I was thinking about getting a 64GB Nexus 6 through Google Play as well.  I would have ordered the phone from Sprint, but they are only offering the 32GB variant in the Midnight Blue. That is disappointing as T-Mobile has already stated they are offering both the 32 and 64GB variants for their customers.

Journeyman

I was doing research and am a phone nerd I love nexus devices u can buy from amazon a sim converter for like 7 bucks

Journeyman

So here we are, almost a full year later, and the situation is as bad as ever.  Bought an unlocked Nexus 6.  The first Sprint store (Lake Orion, Mi) I went to didn't know what sim it took.  Sprint's system doesn't have the Nexus 6 in it, even though Sprint sells the phone.  He gave me a sim card that did not work.  Also, he told me the phone couldn't even be used because it wasn't in Sprint's system.

I called Sprint, gave them the IMED and asked them to pull a Clickit Ticket to add it to their whitelist.  They were amazed I knew what that was and said they would take care of it.

Called back and there was not account of a Clickit Ticket, though the service tech did see the transcript of my help call.  He was obviously very frustrated trying to figure it out and told me more than once that it couldn't be done (ie. put an unlocked Nexus 6 on Sprint's system.)   Finally, he said he figured it out and the phone was already on their list and all I needed to do was install the proper SIM card.  He said he'd contact some other level of support and get me the SIM card.  I was on hold a long time when he came back and said it was taken care of.  I referenced this note and the SIM card needed and asked him to check to be sure they were sending the right one.  He said not to worry.  2 days later I got a full sized SIM card in the mail..not a nano...not a mini...a full sized card.

I called back again and told them the specific card I needed and the operator said she would send it but "it wouldn't work."

Next I decided to try a different local Sprint store (Troy store on 14 mile Rd.)  The guy at the store told me they didn't have SIM cards.  I told him they most certainly should and he went back to talk to the techs.  Before he left I told him I needed the same SIM card the Iphone 6 took.  He brought back a mini SIM card.  I told him it wouldn't work and he assured me the tech said it would.  I told him it wouldn't even fit and he went back to talk to the tech and came out and said they didn't have any other SIM card for my phone.  I asked for an iphone SIM card and he said "We don't carry those."

Next store said they don't have any SIM cards and sent me to the "corporate" store on Big Beaver Rd in Troy, Mi.  The woman saw me walk in and immediately said we don't have SIM's for your phone.  I told her it was the same SIM as the iphone and she said she knew (at least that was good to hear) but they were out of SIMs because the new iphone just came out and there was a run on SIMs for it.  The told me to go to the Roseville, Mi store because that was the biggest local store and they should have it.  Roseville is an hour drive for me but I went.

When I got to the Roseville store the woman informed me that there wasn't a SIM for my phone.  I asked her to talk to tech and he pulled a part number that was clearly wrong (probably the full sized SIM I already got.) I spent some time convincing them it was the iphone SIM till they finally pulled one.  But then she couldn't get it to register with my phone.  The system said it was the wrong SIM.  They said I needed to call Sprint back and get a SIM but make sure they get it locked to my phone before mailing it out.

Tonight I got home to find a SIM waiting for me.  It wasn't the correct one, based on the number referenced in this thread.

I estimate I've spent over 6 hours on this so far.  Two months ago I spent 4 hours getting a Sprint iphone, that somehow got delisted from Sprint's whitelist back on the list so I could use it.

In comparison, I registered my phone with Google Fi and got a SIM in the mail two days later.  I plugged it into the phone and the phone worked immediately.

Tonight I call Sprint and plan on canceling my account unless they can resolve this issue.  I'm switching all 5 phones on my account to Google Fi.

Journeyman

I bought my phone from best buy and they had the sim card on hand. Takes the same one as the iPad.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat