cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G signal degraded since ICS update

Journeyman

3G signal degraded since ICS update

I've had the Nexus S for quite a while now, and I received the update to ICS about 1 week or so ago.  I've noticed that my 3G signal strength meter seems to be showing a very low reading again.  This was "tweaked" with an update in GB a while back and it seemed to help the signal.  I'm wondering if anyone is showing a weaker signal with ICS on the Nexus S as well?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: 3G signal degraded since ICS update

Me too. Not only that, but in the exact same spot in my office in Norcross, Georgia where I got 4G before the ICS update, I now do not. I really hope they figure out what messed up the signal in the ICS update because it is extremely aggravating to get an "update" that downgrades your phone's capabilities.

Patron

I came here to see if others were having this problem as well.  Since the ICS update I have been losing my 4G connection frequently, and the phone will not access the internet until I go into settings and turn on 4G.  This is happening about a dozen or so times a day even when sitting still.  My 4G wireless modem will have 4 or 5 bars but when my phone is sitting directly next to it my phone might have two bars.  This is frustrating and since the hardware was fine prior to the upgrade I think there must be some software glitch.  Can we work on this Sprint?

Journeyman

Same problem here - sometimes I have 5 bars - then no signal for hours at a time.  Turning the phone off and on, turning airplane mode off and on doesn't work either.  4G is uneard of - I'm lucky to get 1G!  Come on Sprint!

Journeyman

Did anyone try updating their PRL?

Journeyman

I just got my phone, and I had it for a very short time under Gingerbread, before I upgraded to the latest ICS (it kept pestering me every few minutes, so I succumbed). But after I upgraded, I have noticed how crap the signal is. I didn't think it was that bad before the ICS update.

As far as the PRL, mine says its up to date.

Journeyman

It's still bad even today?  I'm not sure where you're located but Sprint recently upgraded their  towers around me.  Last week I was roaming but now I get 3 bars sometimes at work when I would normally get 1 to 2.  This is very helpful in knowing what the progress is, in terms of upgrading towers, for your city: https://network.sprint.com/?ECID=MA:EM:20120619:LNL:F:sprintnetwork

Highlighted
Journeyman

My signal has been terrible ever since upgrade. Definitely worse than before. And, yes, I have updated my PRL.  My wife's phone is fine and consistently gets 2 bars more signal then my Nexus. Sprint and Nexus need to do something about this.  I bought this phone because I wanted the best of the best. Please do not make me go buy an iPhone (which I do not want to do) on general principal.  Also, I get a very poor signal throughout most of Omaha .  What is the deal?

Journeyman

I just noticed this happening to my phone as well. I've recently been in 4 different cities (Canton, Columbus, Atlanta, New York City) and in every single one of them my bars would drop to zero at some point.  Even on 4G I'd be on, then it'd drop to 3G, then nothing.  I even have zero bars while I'm in the sprint store. I'm going in today to pick up a replacement but I'm going to check the bars first because there is no sense in me starting all the way over and having to buy a new screen protector just because my phone isn't operating as promised.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat