cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Journeyman

Re: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

JBQ is the initials of a developer from the Android team. He basically handles the pushing the sources to AOSP and releasing the factory images for the Nexus devices. As for the approvals I believe he's waiting for the OTA to be more widely available. He mentioned the initial OTA push is VERY SLOW and it pauses for a little while to gather feedback and then the floodgates are released

Highlighted
Journeyman

The factory image for Android 4.0.4 on the Nexus S 4G (d720) is available now at https://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html.

Journeyman

Same images from the leaked build. Korey was right!!

Journeyman

I just tried the checkin method, update download started right away

Wizard

ac1981 wrote:

I just tried the checkin method, update download started right away

Great! Could you do me a favor and post your experience after the update finishes? We are seeing a lot of request from people wanting reviews.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

Journeyman

I'll be getting a how to manually update to ICS video very soon along with a full review of the update.

Be sure to subscribe to my channel at www.youtube.com/qbking77

Journeyman

I used the checkin method (typed *#*#2432546#*#*) in the dialer. Once i got the "successful" notice, i went to settings > about phone > system updates and the download had already started. it's a big file, 136 MB but only took a few minutes on wifi. Phone rebooted and i received an "Android is upgrading" screen with a status bar that read "optimizing application number x of 91. After a 3 or 4 minute wait for the optimization to complete, the home screen appeared. All my user data (Gmail, contacts, apps, exchange accounts, texts) were all fully populated. interface already feels faster, and i even tested the screenshot function with success (hold power and volume down key)

First impression is a pretty good one. I hope everyone gets their update quickly, I was actually surprised to get my so soon.

Journeyman

wifi and 3g signal strength seem to be the same as they were on GB, can't tell about 4g as I'm in an area without coverage.

Journeyman

I also had the update hit me this morning. However... I usually perform a full wipe before updating. Once I did that, it keeps saying my system is up to date. Wondering what is going on..??

Sprint Employee

If you wiped the phone before performing the update you may have to wait for Google to send it back to you again. remember that a factory reset is not always necessary when upgrading, although may be a good idea if you are having trouble.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Well, it seems I should have played the lottery. Two of the four Optimus S phones I have received the new and improved Gingerbread update via OTA with no problems. At 12:42pm PST, my NS4G received the ICS OTA.

My NS4G was stock and running v2.3.7 connected to WIFI and 3G via a Arvana. After accepting the download, the phone powered down then back up and installed the update. It took about 4 minutes. None of the apps were touched as the phone was not wiped out. I’m early in the testing but so far all appears to be in order.  All the home screens still have the app icons I had before and the backup and gallery, contacts, etc are all intact. I’ll be able to test the radio later tonight when I’m out.

I’ll be letting the battery run all the way down then do a full charge to see how it compares to GB. The versions it shows now are as follows:

Android Version

Baseband version

D720SPRLC1

Kernel Version

3.0.8-g6656123

Android-build@vpbs1 #1

Thu Feb 2 16:56:02 PST 2012

Build number

IMM76D

Journeyman

Hey there,

Both my wife and I have Nexus S 4g.  Clearing the Google Services Framework and then pulling the battery for a few minutes and we are both greeted with the update!!!!

Thanks,

Skip

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat