cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Highlighted
Wizard

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D  (Android 4.0 -  Ice Cream Sandwich)

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Upgrades device operating system to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).   

- Customizable favorites tray visible on all 5 home screens just above the hard keys

- Contacts application replaced with a People application that provides improved integration with Gmail, Email, Google+ and other apps

- Multitasking allows users easy access to switch between recently used applications by tapping and holding the Home key

- Create folders on the home screen by dragging and dropping one app onto another to create a folder

- New lock screen actions allow users to jump into the camera or pull down  notifications to check messages, without unlocking the device

- Swiping from left to right can dismiss individual notifications, close  apps from the recent apps list, and close browser tabs

- Data usage provide controls for monitoring and managing network data usage

- Camera enhancements include capturing panoramic photos, continuous focus, zero shutter lag exposure, stabilized image zoom and decreased shot-to-shot speed

- Android Beam allows two NFC-enabled devices to exchange favorite apps, contacts, music, videos and more

Important Notes:

- Software version is: IMM76D

- Please DO NOT remove the battery during the update

- Updates are available OTA (over the air) only and are 'pushed' to devices in stages over a 10-21 day period. Device selection is random

- Refer to the Samsung Nexus S Software Update blog for install instructions

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - fixed NFC typo

190 REPLIES 190
Highlighted
Journeyman

JBQ is the initials of a developer from the Android team. He basically handles the pushing the sources to AOSP and releasing the factory images for the Nexus devices. As for the approvals I believe he's waiting for the OTA to be more widely available. He mentioned the initial OTA push is VERY SLOW and it pauses for a little while to gather feedback and then the floodgates are released

Highlighted
Journeyman

The factory image for Android 4.0.4 on the Nexus S 4G (d720) is available now at https://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same images from the leaked build. Korey was right!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tried the checkin method, update download started right away

Highlighted
Wizard

ac1981 wrote:

I just tried the checkin method, update download started right away

Great! Could you do me a favor and post your experience after the update finishes? We are seeing a lot of request from people wanting reviews.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll be getting a how to manually update to ICS video very soon along with a full review of the update.

Be sure to subscribe to my channel at www.youtube.com/qbking77

Highlighted
Journeyman

I used the checkin method (typed *#*#2432546#*#*) in the dialer. Once i got the "successful" notice, i went to settings > about phone > system updates and the download had already started. it's a big file, 136 MB but only took a few minutes on wifi. Phone rebooted and i received an "Android is upgrading" screen with a status bar that read "optimizing application number x of 91. After a 3 or 4 minute wait for the optimization to complete, the home screen appeared. All my user data (Gmail, contacts, apps, exchange accounts, texts) were all fully populated. interface already feels faster, and i even tested the screenshot function with success (hold power and volume down key)

First impression is a pretty good one. I hope everyone gets their update quickly, I was actually surprised to get my so soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

wifi and 3g signal strength seem to be the same as they were on GB, can't tell about 4g as I'm in an area without coverage.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also had the update hit me this morning. However... I usually perform a full wipe before updating. Once I did that, it keeps saying my system is up to date. Wondering what is going on..??

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

If you wiped the phone before performing the update you may have to wait for Google to send it back to you again. remember that a factory reset is not always necessary when upgrading, although may be a good idea if you are having trouble.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Well, it seems I should have played the lottery. Two of the four Optimus S phones I have received the new and improved Gingerbread update via OTA with no problems. At 12:42pm PST, my NS4G received the ICS OTA.

My NS4G was stock and running v2.3.7 connected to WIFI and 3G via a Arvana. After accepting the download, the phone powered down then back up and installed the update. It took about 4 minutes. None of the apps were touched as the phone was not wiped out. I’m early in the testing but so far all appears to be in order.  All the home screens still have the app icons I had before and the backup and gallery, contacts, etc are all intact. I’ll be able to test the radio later tonight when I’m out.

I’ll be letting the battery run all the way down then do a full charge to see how it compares to GB. The versions it shows now are as follows:

Android Version

Baseband version

D720SPRLC1

Kernel Version

3.0.8-g6656123

Android-build@vpbs1 #1

Thu Feb 2 16:56:02 PST 2012

Build number

IMM76D

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey there,

Both my wife and I have Nexus S 4g.  Clearing the Google Services Framework and then pulling the battery for a few minutes and we are both greeted with the update!!!!

Thanks,

Skip

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat