cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Journeyman

Re: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

You can. And you could before.

Journeyman

Your best bet is to open your computers web browser and go to google.com and in the search bar enter the following: how to add pictures to contacts on android

You will see about 21,000,000 results and several video tutorial. It worked the same from Android 2.1 and up.

Journeyman

Your common sense will figure that out I'm sure.

Journeyman

Has anyone who has done the OTA update experienced signal loss issues like the GSM owners?  Here's one of the links that talks about it:

http://androidcommunity.com/signal-issues-arrive-after-android-4-0-4-ice-cream-sandwich-update-20120...

Journeyman

I got the notice yesterday that this update was ready for my phone, when I applied it the phone rebooted, appeared to apply the update and then rebooted again and got stuck on a screen with a Folder and a down arrow, I left it for 20 min and then pulled the battery.  When I restarted the phone it was still at the old version and when I go to check for system updates it says I'm up to date.  I guess there's no way to force the OTA again is there, do I just have to wait until I come up in the rotation again?

Journeyman

Open the phone dialer and input:

*#*#CHECKIN#*#*

replace CHECKIN with the actual number. You will get a notification "Checkin Succeeded". After that go Check for udpates again.

Journeyman

Update on my NS4G:

3G --

definetely appears to have improved. Places where I had 0-1 bars where showing up to 3.

4G --

at my martial arts club, I was barely able to get a one bar connection and only in some spots. Last night I was getting 2-3 bars depending where in the room I was at.

Battery -- 4G ate it up I think. I only got about 8 hours compared to my 12-14 I usually get. I ran the battery down until it turned off and have recharged it. We'll see how well it does today.

Stock Browser --

Appears snappier than GB. I've also installed Chrome. I like the how the Chrome bookmarks on my PC are sync'd with my phone.

Stock Email -- (Not GMail)

Still lacking in many ways, especially when compared to the K9 email client. I only use the stock email program for checking my work email via exchange when I'm not at my desk. I will not however that it works/syncs much better than it did in GB. It does have a few more options like returning to the inbox after deleting a message.

Chrome to Phone App --

This appears to be the only App that is not working. I have logged in out on both my phone and browswer and no go. I will uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps.

Miss in Action --

So, on the leaked version of ICS, there was a folder/widget on the home screen that said GOOGLE. In there where "most" of the Google apps. That was kind of handy. With this update I don't see that option. Not a big deal, just noted it was missing.

Google Search Bar --

I noted some people don't like this being at the top of the screen on all five pages. I don't mind it really and do tend to use it. I did so with GB as well.

FriendCaster App --

Uninstalled. This thing was running wild and eating up over 60% of the CPU. I use the Watchdog app to keep an eye on things. I noted even with GB that FriendCaster would run wild and run down my battery if I wasn't paying attention to the alerts.

GPS --

Sync's much quicker and in places it wouldn't before. I'm in a dead spot and use a Aravana at home where I work from. So when I leave the house, I generally cannot get the GPS to sync until I'm about a mile or so away. I test this using Google Maps. Last night it sync'd within a few blocks.

That's all I've come up with so far. Overall ICS is working well. The lags I was seeing with GB are not evident, yet.

Journeyman

the folder on the home screen with Google apps is not missing...you can just make it yourself, drag and drop google icons together in one folder and name it 'google apps' or something...

friendcaster app was most likely eating battery because it was syncing your contacts with all their picture info, at the first time of sync there is a lot of data that needs to be transferred and it was most likely because of the syncing that it was using that much battery. same thing will happen to any account you hook up with facebook contacts+pictures.

Journeyman

@fahadh,

Thanks for the response. I don't sync Facebook or FriendCaster by default. As mentioned, I had the same issues with Gingerbread and my daughters noted the same on their Optimus S running Froyo. No worries though as I rarely use FriendCaster anyways, but that's good to know.

As for the folder, thanks for that tip. With the leaked version it was there by default. That's whay I assumed it was missing.

Journeyman

The OTA is very real!  I got my Google love today, and it's wonderful.  Their finally keeping their word about updating their "flagship" device makes me a lot more willing to purchase a Googorola phone, when they finally get around to it - and they make it for CDMA, of course.  Thanx to you, too, Sprint, for getting this out as soon as you could. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got my ICS.

1) If you're whining about the google search box at the top of each screen, you should be vanquished to eclair. Get over it.

2) Much smoother. Did notice a bit of lag when I first got it, it's rectified itself. Battery seems to have a drain on it at the moment, but that is syning of accounts and was expected. Will continue to monitor

3) Contact integration and opening to camera are very nice

4) I'm not about to go thanking spint and google pretending that everything is honkey dorey. Google needs to get the updates to their flagship phones FIRST and Sprint should know by now not to make promises it can't deliver upon because it has no say in the matter.

5) Now let's all go enjoy our phones for the next 3-6 months before we go trade in for the next big thing that will ultimetly let us down.

Journeyman

Easily the best response.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat