cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Journeyman

Re: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

@PCZero - You had the option to hit "Install Later" and ignore the upgrade if you were so happy with Gingerbread. Sprint didn't force you to hit "Install Now".

Journeyman

Just giving my input on ICS!

I got my update yesterday and so far so good. Much better 3G and 4G and even my voice seems to be better. GMail is waaaaayyyy better and even the other email accounts are nice in the new set-up. Still doing a bit of playing with it, my only thing is my battery seems to be draining much quicker, but not sure if ICS is the cause. Also, the screenshot feature does work... (down volume button/power button) you do have to press them almost simultaneously and for about a couple seconds but it does work! I will try to post again if anything else comes up, but overall so good.....SO FAR :-)

Journeyman

techguy379 wrote:

@PCZero - You had the option to hit "Install Later" and ignore the upgrade if you were so happy with Gingerbread. Sprint didn't force you to hit "Install Now".

But then he would have no "valid" reason to come here and complain.

I just got the update last night, so far I am really liking it.  If you don't like the google search bar on the top or the quick launch bar on the bottom then go install one of the many loaders out there to over ride it, I had go launcher running when the update hit and had to turn it off so I could actually use ICS because it over wrote pretty much all of the features.

For me signal strength does not seem to be any different, and I have my phone plugged in pretty much all day (desk job) so I don't usually notice battery drain.

I very much like all the little tweaks to the UI and the changes to the native apps:

- gmail, txt messaging

- the native browser is 100% better

- text copy/paste is way better

- the phone and contacts are more intuitive and sync with google+ very nicely

- docking the phone actually puts it in landscape mode!

- the new notification sound are nice and so are the new live wallpapers

However, what I like most is the phone itself runs better, its faster and more responsive google definitely took some care with OS and its overall efficiency and memory management.

Journeyman

I also appreciate that the GPS is finally working the way its supposed. No issues and locks in about a second or two.

Journeyman

@qbking7, thank you for that video I followed those instructions yesterday and am now running the new version on my NS4G. Lets just say I was bored and got tired of waiting.

As for the update I'm liking it as everything seems cleaner.

Gmail - A lot cleaner and an AWESOME widget.

Calendar - A lot cleaner and easier to read and also an AWESOME widget.

Messaging - Can be a little confusing as GB at least shaded the other persons text in the thread but that's nothing to get used to.

Folders - This is nothing new as you could set up folders on GB too but now its easier to create, and frankly I like the look on ICS better.

NFC - To transfer files is a pretty awesome feature although can be a little buggy I see this improving with time and newer phones as I think this is the future of cell phones.

WiFi - At work my WiFi would only work half of the time with GB and with the ICS update my phone always picks up the WiFi at work just a little difference I noticed.

My favorite feature is the lockscreen:

1) When you are listening to music you don't have to turn the screen on then unlock it and go to the music app to change a song like you did on GB you can do it right from the lock screen.

2) When you have a text message or an email you can pull your notifications bar down on the lockscreen and go strait to the message from there.

3) Unlocking to the Camera is AMAZING since I use my phone as a camera a lot its just very convienient.

Journeyman

You're welcome! Happy to help.

Here's my take on the new update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtOAtmSHqGE&list=PLCB2387B9E7BAD6B3&index=55&feature=plpp_video

Journeyman

battery drain issue.

Journeyman

Your battery drain is probably an app. Theres a lot of apps that drain battery horribly. I would see which ones don't let your phone sleep and if you can do without them, uninstall. My battery seems to actually be performing better. Just my two cents

Journeyman

I am downloading the update now - fingers crossed

Journeyman

i figure it's an app.....but it's odd.....didn't have problem until i updated to ics.  Pandora was staying on in the background, which i turned off, hopefully that was the drain.  odd. never had a problem with it staying on before.  also have restarted phone.  removed battery for a few minutes, etc.  i can always tell when something is running, as my pocket gets a little warm!

Journeyman

absolutely love the ics update!  thank you.  not happy with how long it ook, but worth the wait.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS does indeed cause the battery to drain faster. Much faster. With Gingerbread if the battery indicator was orange the phone would usually last another two hours under heavy use. This was with 4G WiMAX enabled. I'm wondering though. It's my understanding that ICS introduces 2D hardware accelerated graphics which Gingerbread did not have. Does using the GPU instead of the CPU use more battery power?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat