cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Sprint Employee

Re: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

Hello PCZero, At this time Google has not provided a method to reinstall gingerbread after upgrade to ICS to us. if you have having trouble with ICS not functioning correctly, and /or cannot access the bootloader then you may want to have your phone serviced in the neared Sprint Service & Repair center.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Wizard

This update is just for the Nexus device.  You can subscribe to the updates blog for the Epic Touch here.

Journeyman

is 4.0.4 better than 4.0.3? I loaded your 4.0.3 release and it is SOO slugish, half of the time the phone is trying to keep up with the swipes, just waiting to catch up to itself its annoying[...]. Sometimes I will unlock it and hit on the phone or text button and wait a freaking minute or 2 before it opens up feels like dial up.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

Happy to say that all issues have resolved themselves.  I am assuming the battery drain was due to all the systems downloading updates etc.  After two days, everything is awesome!  Battery life at or about the same as it was before the update.  Apps working correctly.  Very happy with the ICS update.  I think my radio is better as well.  Seems that way anyway.  Tough to say after only two days, though. I did several hard reboots (removed battery) etc.  Working great. Thank you to GOOGLE for the update.  Scared at first, because of the problems with battery, but they have all magically resolved themselves!  Very seemless transitions from screen to screen.

Great job!

DSL

Journeyman

Thank you RC1024 for the idea. The only problem is I went to the Sprint "Superstore" in Tempe AZ and they claim there is nothing wrong with my phone, my battery, and that it is "up to date" They claim neither Samsung nor Sprint has told them of any problems. They tell me there is no way to roll back to GB unless Sprint admits there is a problem.

I can't accept going so far backwards in usefulness with ICS on my phone as compared to GB. I think Sprint really needs to step up and address this issue. I went from 95% happy to about 40% happy with my Sprint service. To quote my University students..."this sucks."

David

Sprint Employee

Hello David, I’m sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction of Google’s latest. In what way do you feel Ice Cream Sandwich is taking a step backwards in usefulness when compared to Gingerbread? What problems have you had since upgrading? I have a few teammates that use the Nexus S, and have been thrilled with ICS since the upgrade. Their description makes it sound similar to my ICS experience on my Tablet.

Thank you, RC1024.

Journeyman

Hello @RC1024.

I can add to @D.James' report of problems, as I have in another forum thread.

I'm extremely frustrated with the Android ICS (4.0.4) on my Nexus S 4G.  It is generally 25-50% slower than Gingerbread.  Battery drain is faster, charging is dreadfully slow, connection to data services is painful and sometimes non-existant even in areas of known good service, and even typing is slower. Overall it looks like the software was made too elegant and bloated and we're suffering!

I want Gingerbread back.  This should be easy also.  BUT it's even painfull and time consuming to find info on if it is possible!

Sprint/Google - PLEASE HELP with some simple, straight-forward fixes soon!

There have been a variety of suggestions by Nexus S owners on various forum threads (Google and Sprint should be reading them), but nothing definitive.  Which should be expected, no offense to the users.  We were FORCED into this upgrade and most do not have the desire let alone the knowledge to evaluate how to resolve such issues. 

A simple "current state" report of an operating system upgrade would help greatly.  That is, give us a place (webpage) that tells users whether there are problems, how to easily report them, and what procedures to take even if it is to wait a bit. A simple status page with "problem report" and "ongoing work" links. Sure you have a lot of phones to support - but that is the business you chose!  Otherwise you will be faced with dissatisfied customers and building a bad reputation (read the forums to see that happening already).

--

GreggO

Sprint Employee

The reporting you speak of occurs primarily through collection of data by in store service technicians, and secondarily by reports by call center employees. They take reports of problems specific to the current software, determine how to duplicate the symptoms, and report it to a group that acts as an intermediary between the manufacturers and our customers. If you can provide me with specific symptoms that we can duplicate after a Nexus S with ICS has been factory reset then I can report this, if you have a problem with the ICS update please let me know what it is, I would be happy to look into the matter for you.

Chris

Journeyman

Thanks @Chris!

First a question: is a factory reset required?  There was no mention of that at the automatic upgrade.  I'm not even sure how to do a factory reset.  Is that a "hard reset"?

The problems I have experienced are primarily performance related.

It is generally up to 25% slower than Gingerbread.  Battery drain is faster, charging is dreadfully slow (5% in 15 minutes), connection to data services is unreliable and sometimes non-existent even in areas of known good service [the NexusS phone & data(3G & 4G) connection has been generally weak compared to my wife's iPhone, but ICS has made it noticable worse], starting apps, and even typing is slower.

--

Gregg-O

Journeyman

The slow performance is not normal with ICS 4.0.4 on the Nexus S 4G and it's not happening on very many Nexus S 4G phones. In your case the issue is probably related to an app that's not fully compatible with ICS. Now the battery drain issue is a huge problem. I'm lucky if my NS4G phone will last for 5 hours. It doesn't matter if I'm on 4G or 3G. Sprint's coverage is laughable. It hasn't improved with ICS. I live in Portland, Oregon. In some parts of town I will have excellent 4G coverage when I'm outside but the very moment I step inside a building my phone loses all signal and I get the triangle in place of the signal bars. When I was in Camas, Washington (near Vancouver) I had 4G coverage in one spot. I walked a few hundred feet down the street and my phone started flip flopping between 3G and 1x CDMA. It took a good 45-60 minutes for a text message to be sent.

Journeyman

I got the battery through seidio on amazon.  great deal.

Journeyman

it appears that my exchange service is what is killing my battery. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat