cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

190 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

I'm having the same issues.  I received the ICS 4.0 upgrade in April-May timeframe.  My phone is so slow.  It takes 10-15 seconds for the phone app to load.  Signal is really flaky, especially in 4G.  When I running any app it can take 10 secs at a minimal to load.  I have to reboot the phone to get a decent performance but it is really temporary.  I select to dial someone and it doesn't react for 5-10 seconds so I hit the dial again and all of a sudden it is making two calls.  Did you find a solution to the slowness on your phone.  My phone ran perfect on Gingerbread.  I love the new OS, but the slowness is driving me crazy.  Please help.

menacekop wrote:

Finally had a chance to confirm.

1) when Bluetooth is active there is a Bluetooth button on the key pad

2) there is a speaker mode button on the key pad

3) there is a mute button on the key pad

If u are missing all of these buttons and your vibrate on key press toggle does not work then something is seriously wrong with your phone and you need to take it in.

It may not need to be taken into a store. Chances are, when there are missing on-screen buttons, some files on the phone have been corrupted. This happens fairly commonly after major software updates on Android devices. A corrupted file is already there, and when it is updating during the Android upgrade it can cause all sorts of issues. You can try clearing the data in Settings > Manage Applications for the app that is affected, or if that doesn't work you likely will need to do a factory reset on the phone to get all of the files, including system files, back to the default preferences and settings.

Journeyman

Finally had a chance to confirm.

1) when Bluetooth is active there is a Bluetooth button on the key pad

2) there is a speaker mode button on the key pad

3) there is a mute button on the key pad

If u are missing all of these buttons and your vibrate on key press toggle does not work then something is seriously wrong with your phone and you need to take it in.

Journeyman

@mrmikemrmike

#2. i clearly have a Mute Button on the call screen

#3.  I clearly have a Speaker Button on the call screen

Journeyman

@mrmikemrmikeOnSprint (and @ThePuddlejumper)

I recently purchased a Nexus S to use along side my HTC EVO 4G.  I too did not like the permanent Google Search on the screen but I was planning on using a custom launcher like with my EVO!!  I would try Launcher Pro (or ADW Launcher or GO Launcher...some other third party launcher).  You'll have much more flexibiliity with the screen...and NO MORE GOOGLE SEARCH!!

Journeyman

Dude don't reply if you are not going to read my post.

Vib is turned off as I stated.

1. Keypad has no Bluetooth bypass and indicator
  2. Keypad has no Mute Button and indicator
  3. Keypad has no Speaker Button and indicator

ITS A PHONE FIRST. If its not, I don't need it. I have other IT devices.

Gingerbread was a phone OS, ICS is a pad OS and its pretty obvious.

Journeyman

i still have yet to get my update and that *#*#number doesnt work...

Journeyman

I too was excited to get ICS on my Nexus.  I'm not comfortable with rooting so I waited until the OTA update.  My take now that I've played with it a couple of weeks...  I really like the interface.   Much nicer in filing the applications in folders and just overall appearance.  I've noticed an improvement in my connection, especially 4g.  Speeds seem to be faster, but connectivity is where I'm noticing the improvement.  More bars, which may be cosmetic, but again, it seems to connect easier and speeds seem better.   Download from the Play Store seem slower.  Especially updates.  That kind of contradicts the previous sentence about connectivity, but again, my observation.   I love the little extras, like the music player access without unlockng the phone.   As far as battery drain.  Yes, it is noticably worse.   As few things I did that seems to help are a) removed all battery saver and task killer apps. And b) and I know this isnt' for everyone, but I downloaded the dataswitch toggle.  I don't need the data connection durnig the day at work but like to still have the ability to receive calls and texts.  At the end of the work day, I've lost about 20% of my battery.  Much better.   The switch is a simple turn on turn off of the data radio on my home screen with getting into the settings menu.  And I've notice no delay in turning the radio on (unlike what I was having with the battery saver apps).   Overall, I'm very pleased with the ICS update, but I may not be as heavy a user as most people.

Journeyman

I have a Nexus S 4G and got the Ice Cream Sandwich I couldnt wait for this update well it sucks for me! I Hate It!

Journeyman

I can see power consumption being an actual problem, but  you can tweak some settings to help alleviate some of it.

The rest are things that you can actually change with a little effort.  There are lots of apps and loaders on the market that allow you to change damn near every default feature of the phone, including the removal of the google search bar.

I could have sworn I used the button on the keypad to disable the bluetooth headset just the other day while I was out running, I use that button a lot and I have no memory of it not being there as of late, but I can not currently confirm/deny that.

The wifi/3g signal strength has been an issue with this phone since day one, in my personal experience ICS didn't hurt or fix the problem its just like it was before the update.

You can turn off they key pad vibrations in settings > language & input > Android keyboard | "settings button" > un-check "Vibrate on keypress"

Also with the bluetooth indicator icon; if its blue its connected if its gray its disconnected, but you seem to have something against the color blue and maybe that is effecting your ability to notice it at a glance.

The good new is that this is android, so you can change pretty much anything you want!  including the default icons, and even their color.  The problem is it will take a little extra effort and a bit of research, and I'm guessing that will be unacceptable to you.