Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a line, cancel the old one and keep the new one

Journeyman

Add a line, cancel the old one and keep the new one

I was really excited about getting the new Nexus S, however, I've only been with Sprint for a little over a year and they said that I can't upgrade my phone or renew my contract to get a better discount on the new phone. Ok, I understand.

I'm wondering if this plan is worth the hassle, and if it will actually save me money, AND if it's even possible: I add a new line to my exisiting plan and phone (the Epic 4g) to get a discounted Nexus, use the Nexus for a month, then cancel my Epic, pay the early termination fee and then port my Epic number to the Nexus. Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

MuzikSutra wrote:

I was really excited about getting the new Nexus S, however, I've only been with Sprint for a little over a year and they said that I can't upgrade my phone or renew my contract to get a better discount on the new phone. Ok, I understand.

I'm wondering if this plan is worth the hassle, and if it will actually save me money, AND if it's even possible: I add a new line to my exisiting plan and phone (the Epic 4g) to get a discounted Nexus, use the Nexus for a month, then cancel my Epic, pay the early termination fee and then port my Epic number to the Nexus. Thoughts?

As I understand it, you cannot add a line to an Individual Plan; you can only add a line to a more expensive Family Plan. Also you cannot have more than one Sprint account (two Individual Plans) under the same SS#. My additional comments posted previosly:

"With 10+ years invested in Sprint, and too lazy to change carriers, I've come to a conclusion that Sprint senior management hasn't a clue.  Their site documentation is usually out-of-date or inaccurate in most cases, and tech support leaves a lot to be desired.  Sprint it appears would rather lose a long time customer and invest their time and money in getting those new 2-year agreements.  I've written to them many times, but only get some lowly CS clerk sending me some patronizing boilerplate reply.

I have wanted to upgrade to a new android for years, and eyed the EVO for months, but Sprint's limitations on price with a two-year agreement renewal, was a poor incentive.  If reception and functionality is adequate with Sprint as your Carrier, when it comes to the new purchase or contract renewal for a new phone I recommend NOT using Sprint, use wirefly, amazon, or in my case wait for Best Buy to run their Sprint specials.  I have my new Android and love it,Nexus_S 4G, and better yet with the price of "free" with agreement renewal from Best Buy."

Wizard

They just announced the Nexus Prime. Not sure if Sprint is getting it but I signed up on Sammy web site.

You should wait. That is what I am doing.

Journeyman

Try this:

• Get the Nexus on its own individual plan on your Sprint account.
  • Get a cheap prepaid phone ($20 from Walmart) and port your number to it, which will cancel your old plan leaving you with just the Nexus and the new plan on your account.
  • Call Sprint and ask them to port the number from your prepaid phone to the Nexus on your new plan.

Alternatively:

• Get the Nexus on its own individual plan on your Sprint account.
  • Contact Sprint (don't call with either of the Sprint phones - or use the Chat feature) and have them swap the phones on the accounts.
    • Leaves you with the Nexus on the old plan, old contract, old number.
    • Leaves you with the Epic on the new plan, new contract, new random number.
  • Find some idiot to take over responsibility of the new account and pay them $xx to do it (instead of paying Sprint the ETF as in the first scenario).
  • This also leaves your new phone eligible for upgrade whenever your original contract was eligible.

Let me know if the later works so I can try it myself.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat