cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery, Lag, 3G issues on the ICS update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery, Lag, 3G issues on the ICS update

Is anybody else experiencing major battery drain since they accepted the upgrade? I even did a hard reset two times with no improvement. With the same usage that I have as before, my battery life has halved.

For those of you that use Pandora or any other music apps, have you noticed the MediaServer that seems to consume as much as the screen itself (in addition to the music app consumption as well)? And yes, I know its probably used to stream music but how come in Gingerbread only the music app consumed power- what is this MediaServer and why do I need it/can't close it. Its frustrating as if my battery life wasn't already bad enough.

As for 3G, I have found myself having to go on/off airplace mode every few mins as the signal is simply horrible.

And then there is the lag opening up apps- it reminds me of Windows Vista, which was simply too heavy for some weaker machines- kinda think that this is the issue, that our single core processor can't simply handle ICS.

At this point, I would rather have Gingerbread back.

23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

Re: Battery, Lag, 3G issues on the ICS update

I have noticed the same horrible battery performance.  I have also noticed that battery charging is slower as well.  With GB phone would last all the day with normal mail, text and phone use.  With ICS it wont make it a half day without needing charging.

Wizard

If you have an issue after a major update such as this and a battery pull does not fix it, you need to do a hard reset to wipe the phone (including the caches) and reload Android. Just make sure your stuff is backed up then bite the bullet.

Journeyman

That is correct, I noticed that charging the battery takes longer. I had 15 % battery last night and when i checked my phone again, it was dead. I took about 45 minutes to fully discharge

Journeyman

I have already done a hard reset two times- I even disabled Google Backup just in case some of the backup was incompatibe with ICS.

Wizard

Did you do the wipe with the hardware keys or through the menu?

Journeyman

Hey geek, are you talking about going back to gingerbread?  I have exactly the same issues as Arizona.  Battery, Pandora, Email too, best I can tell.  I can tell when an app is hanging open as my pocket gets warm.  by the time I catch it, 15% battery gone. very frustrating.  I have app killer and it's not helping.  Everything I have is backed up on google.

Wizard

Dabbler32 wrote:

Hey geek, are you talking about going back to gingerbread?  I have exactly the same issues as Arizona.  Battery, Pandora, Email too, best I can tell.  I can tell when an app is hanging open as my pocket gets warm.  by the time I catch it, 15% battery gone. very frustrating.  I have app killer and it's not helping.  Everything I have is backed up on google.

No. I am talking about wiping from the recovery screen to make sure the Dalvik cache is wiped.

And jettison the task killer. Not needed and probably causing issues. Which app is hung?

Journeyman

Yeah. I was thinking about dumping the task killer anyway. Seems to be pretty useless as a whole. I just uninstalled Pandora and reinstalled it. Let you know if that helps. Seems Pandora starts by itself and email seems to stay open a lot too. Will keep updated.

Journeyman

ok, so I have dumped the task killer (not that it was probably doing anything anyway). I have also reinstalled Pandora. Seems better.  The battery drain shows to be 19% screen, and 19% exchange services?  What are exchange services?  seems a little high to me.  Screen I get, but exchange services sounds like data transfer which I have not been doing.  Emails are all set to check every hour. Shouldn't be cumbersome on the battery.

Master

Exchange is the corporate email service on the device.   Do you have and exchange email set up on the device?   Exchange mail is a push system and it will bring in email as soon as it sent. 

Journeyman

Oh, duh.  I knew that.  Long day.  Yeah, I do, for work, and have had on it, even with Gingerbread.  What I am noticing is that my phone is hot alot, like something is running.  I keep going into "battery usage" and "running apps", but do not see anything out of the ordinary now.

Still dropping pretty fast.  battery time is easily cut in half from what it was.

side note:  i have also turned satelite locating service off. and wi-fi, as i am close enough to one that it works sometimes and not others. Figured it might be causing my phone to be flipping back and forth between the two.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat