cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery, Lag, 3G issues on the ICS update

Journeyman

Re: Battery, Lag, 3G issues on the ICS update

Ok I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me but I went ahead and did a hard reset using the power/volume buttons (instead of the OS menu)- deleted the cache first, then reset.

My 3G seems to have remarkably improved! If yall wanna try it and see if you get the same results

Journeyman

I read somewhere that contrary to recommendations, automatic brightness is actually bad for battery husage. Might wanna play with the settings until you find the lowest level you are comfortable with. Display is always the biggest battery consumer so it makes sense...still gotta see for myself

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't express my frustration with the new OS enough. My phone is harder to read, the exchange email is less usable, the battery is eaten up by the OS, and the phone gets hot all the time. All the new GUI looks like it's made for desktop sized monitors. The older OS was simple and more clear/graphic by design. The phone I have went from a much appreciated and useful tool in my business and every day life, to a frustrating dissapointment.

I hope to h@#! Sprint and Google send out a press release about this. Do I need a new phone? Is there a fix coming? Do I just give up and go back to Verizon and pay higher prices for better service?

I really hope someone at Sprint, who's job it is to pay actual customer service attention to these forums is listening. This weekend I'm visiting a Sprint store to see if I can roll back to GB. This ICS update has taken me from 95% happy to less than 40% happy.

Journeyman

Ditto on @DJames report!  I'm extremely frustrated with the Android ICS (4.0.4) on my Nexus S 4G.  It is generally 25-50% slower than Gingerbread.  Battery drain is faster, charging is dreadfully slow, connection to data services is painful and sometimes non-existant even in areas of known good service, and even typing is slower. Overall it looks like the software was made too elegant and bloated and we're suffering!

And although I appreciate the suggestions by @GeekofTexas, why should we have to know about Davik, clearing caches, or hard resets with an update that the providers INSISTED to be installed!

I want Gingerbread back.  This should be easy also.  BUT it's even painfull and time consuming to find info on if it is possible!

Sprint/Google - PLEASE HELP with some simple, straight-forward fixes soon!

--

Journeyman

So, I just came from the Tempe, AZ Sprint "Superstore."  They claim there has been no communication from Samsung or Sprint that there are any problems. They claim the free app killer most of us run is a problem even though there is no proof of that at all. In fact, the free app killer saved my battery back when Google Wallet first came out and was sucking up the battery at 40% usage or so. The "tech" said that free app killer would aggressivly kill apps and cause instability. I can guarantee I've never had anything but great luck with the free app killer. The "tech" also claims he has no knowledge if the battery use stats my phone shows me from the settings is accurate or useful. Bottom line, my visit was less than useful.

I was told there is no way to go back to GB until Sprint and Google agree there is a problem.

I told them that I was about 95% satisfied with Sprint and now I'm at about 40%--they didn't even look me in the eye.

If Sprint people are reading anything here, I hope to hell they are paying attention. Consider how many people are pissed based on how many of us take the time to post things here.

I'm off to the Verizon store to start planning my next phone purchase. I hate to do it, but Sprint is really failing us here.

Journeyman

D. James,  Since I updated, I had major battery drain for the first day or two and this whole weekend, nothing.  I got in the car today at lunch and bluetooth(ed) my music/pandora through the car.  After I got out of the car, my phone seemed warm like there was still an app running.  I turned off my phone and it cooled off again.  I think Pandora or "my music" is staying on and draining the battery.  Try force closing both those apps and see if you have a similar result.  My battery usage with those two apps off is about the same as it was before the update.  My thoughts are they have yet to realize there is a problem with a few apps.  The apps appear to be what is causing my problem.  The apps will get updated and the problem will go away.  Until then, I am just restarting my phone after I get out of the car and I have been running on the same battery all day today.  10 hrs under moderate use (with the temporary battery drain).

Journeyman

Thanks for the insight. I did just go to my settings and it tells me ALL of my apps are running. So I force stopped a bunch of stuff. I don't even have Pandora on my phone. My phone is for business about 96% of the time. If ICS can't manage apps other than launching all of them, then that seems to me a huge bug in the software.

I do appreciate intelligent ideas and insight here. I don't seem to be able to find that at the Sprint "Superstore."

Does anyone know if the free app killer can't see all the apps running? It always seemed to pop up the things I started and was running. It always helped me save time and battery by showing me when the Nav was still on or maps. GPS stuff always has eaten battery life for me.

Journeyman

Oh, yeah.....forgot about that one.  I also dumped the app killer at the suggestion of another user.  It did get better around that time too.  Can't give you specifics on it, though, as I was frustrated with all the battery drain and was trying everything under the sun.  Dump the app killer.......Not really sure that it helps anyway.  Had my Nexus since they day they were offered on sprint and never saw any real gains from the app killer.  Also, just to make you aware, the reason I got the Nexus was because of the auto updates etc.  That being said, I am not happy about the wait for ICS.  However, I do believe that we got what we paid for.  The newer phones have ICS and we got it for free without having to get a new phone.  Not saying it has been without fault, just that we got a great product, with VERY poor communication. 

I work in the automotive service business and believe you me, nothing ever goes perfectly!  I expected hiccups with the upgrade, I also would expect that there would be better communication with GOOGLE's customers!  Sprint actually has very little to do with it (FYI).  They just push the update through.  GOOGLE pulls all the strings with this phone.  I have been with Sprint for 18 years.  All Wireless companies suck to some extent or another.  A benefit of a largely unregulated industry.

I think as the apps are updated, you will see your battery life improve.

Sidenote:  I did just go get a larger battery (1750maH) for $30.00.  I will plug it in tonight. Still fits in the back without having to increase phone size.  Should see 15% gains in battery life or an extra 1.5 hours if all goes according to plan.  I use mine for business as well, and it gets used alot.

Good luck

D

Journeyman

Thanks for the helpful ideas.  I wish I could be happy about the new look and feel. I really don't like it compared to the older look. It's harder to read the smaller and finer fonts, and the use of blue in place of yellow or white is harder to see. This looks like software that is designed to look nice to reviewers and managers. I deal in that world all the time and software that's designed for trade shows can really goof up users.

I'll be patient as the contract I signed has several months to go. I do need to make sure I have a charger in my pocket all the time too. Where did you find the bigger capacity battery?

Out of office until later this evening. Thanks to all who are chipping in. I think we can count on each other better than the "techs" at the Sprint "Superstore."

David

Journeyman

I too was having horrible battery drain until.....

I leave WIFI on and noticed in the WIFI menu it defaults to always scanning for new WIFI locations. I turned that off by clicking on the advanced tab in the WIFI settings. I also turned off Google location and email push in the client I was running. I have it now set to check for email every hour. After making these adjustments I noticed a 50 percent improvement in battery life.

I was also told at the Sprint store to NOT use a task killer app with ICS.

Journeyman

tucsonarizona wrote:

I read somewhere that contrary to recommendations, automatic brightness is actually bad for battery husage. Might wanna play with the settings until you find the lowest level you are comfortable with. Display is always the biggest battery consumer so it makes sense...still gotta see for myself

EXACTLY!!!  I noticed that my battery life was AWFUL after the upgrade, so I adjusted most settings toward being more efficient and it still didn't help.  After I turned off auto brightness, I was able to go almost a day and a half on moderate usage! (Granted, this isn't my average, but no drain by 5pm!)  I would adjust your settings so that auto brightness is DEFINITELY OFF.  Never noticed this in GB....  Oh, also forgot to mention that I am using a 1750 battery that I bought as a replacement for my old stock battery.

I also noticed that my 3G signal is awful as well....

Journeyman

A bit of update on this problem:

First I sent my complaint as posted previously on this forum to Spring Customer Support.  Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Sprint.  I apologize for the inconvenience you

have faced after software update to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).

Unfortunately, as of now it is not possible to restore the previous

Android version.

However, for any alternative, you may contact Sprint Technical Support

at (888) 211-4727 and follow the prompts for technical assistance. To

enable testing please call us from a phone other than the Sprint phone

you are having trouble with.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your

questions. Please reply to this email or visit sprint.com if we can be

of assistance.

HOWEVER, a representative from Sprint Technical Support (via phone 888-211-4727) reports that we can have Gingerbread restored at any Sprint Store location (although I'm not sure if that is limited to "company stores' versus "franchisee stores").  I was also told that the problems are known to Sprint (the rep found them in their records) and they are "being worked on".  It was not clear where we users could find such a notice (wouldn't it be nice if there was a simple OS status page with some device-specific notations?).

--

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat