cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Samsung be trusted to support the Nexus S?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought the Samsung Moment and was hugely disappointed with the performance and lack of support.  The underlying specs of the phone *should* be able to perform well, but the confused bloat of software, bugginess of the drivers/hardware, and unwillingness of the combination of Sprint/Samsung to upgrade the Android version to one with a JIT made me feel really burned.

In fact, my reaction to Samsung's lack of support for existing devices makes me very wary of getting fooled again by buying the Nexus S.

If I had done my homework on Samsung, I would have found that they have a pattern of abandoning devices.

Their mentality is that "you bought this appliance and it is defined by the behavior when you bought it". 

Well, they have a right to view it this way, but I think more and more of us are willing to pay a bit more for a device to get regular updates and upgrades, at least for a couple of years or three.

I had sworn off ever buying another Samsung phone again.  Then, this week, the announcement of the Nexus S peeled the scab off that wound.

Google happily updates software for Nexus devices in exactly the way that I want.

But, unlike Apple who exercises much more control over their platform, Sprint and Samsung have a history of getting in the way of these updates.

So the question is more aptly phrased:

Can Samsung and Sprint be trusted not to get in the way of Google updating the software for the Nexus S?

I want to believe that they can, but have been disappointed in the past.  Comments?

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Wizard

I share some of your concerns myself. I have been away from Samsung phones for over 5 years and presently have an Evo. I am anxiously awaiting reviews and forums comments as these phones roll out (Nexus S and Evo 3D) to decide which I want to upgrade next. Both seem to be awesome phones according to the specs but I have distrusted Samsung for so long I am a bit scared to buy it before any reviews are out! I would also like to hear some other opinions regarding Samsung carrying the Nexus S...

Highlighted
Master

All updates for the Nexus series of handsets are done directly by Google. This is also why there is no manufacturer associated with the name of the handsets. You simple have the Nexus 1, Nexus S and Nexus S 4G. The manufacturer makes the hardware, but all software is done by Google directly.

Highlighted
Wizard

Awesome to know HALCYONCMDR117! I am glad the updates will come from Google in which case the Nexus S may be back in the running to be my next upgrade!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Can Samsung be trusted to support the Nexus S?

Wow, thank you so much for mentioning that Samsung manufactures the Nexus S!  I was seriously considering getting this phone.  However, I also owned the Moment, and nearly upgraded to the Transform.  The Moment was absolutely the worst phone I have ever owned, and I come from a line of Palm Treos!  Now that I've been browsing the Transform forums, I am so very pleased that I opted for the Optimus.  I got the Transform for my wife for 2 weeks because she likes having a keyboard, but with 2 visits to the Sprint store in 2 weeks, we traded hers for the Optimus, too. 

When I saw the Nexus, I REALLY considered getting the phone, even adding a line.  Now that I know the Nexus is made by Samsung, I have zero desire to own it.  Samsung has completely ruined their name as far as cell phones are concerned, imo.  I hope Sprint continues to partner with LG.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For what it is worth, I've decided to take the risk that Google will be able to perform upgrades and give it a try.

Here's hoping that the hardware and drivers won't be as buggy as the Samsung Moment...

Highlighted
Wizard

Yes, you are hoping that the hardware won't be as buggy as the Moment, or the Intercept, or the Transform.  And the Epic is just now getting Froyo, which my Optimus had since 5 months ago.  And, my wife's Instinct HD wasn't too impressive, either. 

I wish the best for you, but I'm gonna hold out for maybe an LG dual core.  Alternatively, the Motorola Atrix is rumored to come to Sprint.  It's dual core, has a higher pixel resolution, and most importantly, is not Samsung.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-ATRIX-4G-CDMA_id5320

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, maybe, HALCYONCMDR117, but I'm sure that Samsung (and Sprint) will still find a way to screw it up!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google will update this phone ota, not Sprint or Samsung....No worries about Sprint messing things up...just google, lol... ( hey, nobody's perfect )

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually just like HTC and Tmobile did not control the updates to the Nexus 1, Samsung and Sprint will not be the ones to update the Nexus S 4G.  Google will handle all of the updates OTA.  This is also why Nexus phones only come with plain android OS without any additional UI or apps.  This is Google's phone so they will suport it. 

Highlighted
Wizard

However, even software geniuses have a hard time overcoming buggy hardware, like the Moment, Intercept, and Transform.  If you roll with Samsung, the dice may not fall the way you hoped, imo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, I can't believe you guys are using the Moment as a baseline for current Samsung phones.  You guys do realize that the Moment was Samsung's first stab at an Android device, right?  It also ran Android 1.5, which was an early, and unpolished version of Android.  Android 2.3 is much cleaner, sleeker, and works way better.  Also, Samsung's device build quality is heads and tails better now than it was in June, July, August, etc of 2009.  The Nexus S is the only REAL option when it comes to an Android phone.  It is the Android experience as it is meant to be, and will be the first phone updated new versions of Android, and will undoubtedly be supported for quite some time, if the Nexus One is any gauge on what Google will do with the Nexus S.

The biggest benefit is that there is no custom UI skin, no Sprint garbage apps, and best of all, the latest version of Android.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat