cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging issues with Nexus S ?

Journeyman

Re: Charging issues with Nexus S ?

ur nexus is not supposed to charge passed 94%-95% it's a built in safety mechanism to prevent long term damage to the battery.

Journeyman

I dont own the NS4G but I did own the Epic 4G twice before returning it both times. And that phone took forever to charge as well. Evo 4G on while charging takes about 2 hours from almost dead to full. Turn it off and charge like a 1 and 15 minutes. The NS4G is the same hardware as the galaxy s series so Im not suprised it takes very long to charge. Its not any programs you have its the phone itself

Journeyman

I have seen this posted before. I have never had a phone that did not charge to 100%. This does not seem logical as a safety feature. Where have you heard this?

Journeyman

go on google and type 'your battery gauge is lying to you' that's where i read about it...100% doesn't actually mean 100%. i have also never owned a phone that did not charge to 100% but this is my first android phone.

GrandMaster

Try this. Turn off your "data always on" then it will only run when you actually need it. Battery life saved there. Some things you have no control over battery wise. Games will kill it pretty fast. Messenger's running in the background. Etc. if you have no need for it at that time shut it down. Wifi , 4G unless your in a 4 G area and so on.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

When in doubt remember. Goggle is your friend for just about any question or problem you might run into 🙂

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I feel your pain! My first Nexus S 4G took 5 1/2 to 6 hours to recharge and I felt like it was using losing power faster than it would recharge. I returned the phone for another Nexus. The second one charges a LOT faster (a couple of hours) but still takes longer than any other smart phone I have owned.

nitinkumar00 wrote:

I understand that some reps are here to help, but please stop saying that some apps slow it down from charging. This has to be the slowest charging phone I have ever owned, I mean this thing takes over 5-6 hours to charge. if I use it while charging the **** this actually never charges and stays at the same rate unless I put it down.

When someone says it takes epic long to charge, it means exactly that, its not about battery life, its about the time it takes to charge the phone, which is insanely long with this phone. There has to be a reason why it takes so long.

Journeyman

New Nexus S would not charge past 94%. Started at 97% and within 2 weeks would only charge to 94%. Replaced battery under 30-day warranty period. Now charges to 100%.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I used the Samsung wall charger that the phone came with ( a .7amp charger) it took 4-5 hours to charge.  I started using my wall charger that is a 1amp charger and it only takes 2-3 hours now.  Even faster if you turn it off.

Sprint Employee

Hello BAdkins69, that does make it seem as if the stock charger being slightly underpowered could be the problem, possibly Samsung decided the 700 mah charger was a better choice to prevent overheating. I'll look for stronger indications and post back here.

No longer working Community Response.

Hello all,

Some basic battery tech.  Can only assume that by using a smaller charger Samsung was hoping to increase battery life.  Obviously the faster you charge any battery the more heat this will produce. As we see one of the drawbacks of Li- ion battery is that heat can reduce battery life.

Features of Li-ion cells

• •1.     Light weight and portable
  • •2.     High open circuit voltage that deliver high power at low current rate
  • •3.     Absence of Memory effect
  • •4.     Low self discharge rate of 5-10% per month

Drawbacks of Li-ion cells

• •1.     Formation of an insulating deposit in the electrolyte that reduces ion transport. This reduces capacity overtime. Older batteries do not accept much charge.
  • •2.     High charge level and charging heat reduces capacity
  • •3.     Poor ventilation and heat reduces its efficiency. For example a Li-Ion Laptop battery losses 20% capacity in one year, if it is not properly charged.
  • •4.     High internal resistance. This drops terminal voltage when connected to load.
  • •5.     Li-ion batteries are not durable as other rechargeable batteries. These become dangerous if mistreated. High temperature and cell rupture may cause explosions.

-Ron

Journeyman

battery takes some 'breaking in' to get normal usage...after a few weeks of use, my nexus charges in a total of 3-4 hours, and lasts me at least 10-12 hours with heavy use, wifi, web browsing, texting, gaming, etc. at first the battery life was subpar but it's perfect now...much better than the palm pre, at least in my experience.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat