cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging issues with Nexus S ?

Journeyman

How long does your Nexus S 4G take to charge ? Mine took about 5 hours to regain full charge! Sounds like a bit excessive! also, how is your battery life ? My nexus s tells me that it spent 44% of the battery on the display. Any tips on how this can be fixed ? How does this compare to the Samsung Epic 4g ? Is the battery life or charging times comparable ?

Tags (3)
25 REPLIES 25
Journeyman

I found in my experience with Android devices that the micro usb cable and what it is connected to as a power source have a lot to do with the charging.  As for your display usaged you can go to settings> display and there you can lower the brightness and time out.  In regard to the comparison to the Epic, well my wife has an Epic and she uses her phone for entertainment and general usage.  I use mine for business and troubleshooting at my job.  Her Epic still dies by the end of the day while my NS4g has about 30% battery left.  Also my screen shows a lot of battery use in the battery info probably some issue that needs to be addressed in an update.

Thanks

GrandMaster

theres a few widgets out there that allow you to adjust your screen brightness without going into your settings. im usually running mine at about 25%. saves quite a bit on the battery.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am having the same problem. It takes FORVER to charge my Nexus S 4G. At least 5-6 hours. My EVO was much much faster as well as my Palm Pre. I am not sure I have ever had a phone take this long to recharge. I agree that some of the car chargers are insufficient to charge a lot of smart phones but I am using the same ones that worked so well with other phones. I also seem to be having some connections issues and reception seems poorer than with my EVO.

Journeyman

If you do a google search, battery life/charging for the nexus s 4g is wildly inconsistant.  Some are saying that it they can almost get through 2 days of use, while others are saysing 7-10 hours on a charge.  Most are saying the charging is probably the slowest for any smartphone on the market due to taking 5-6 hours per charge.  I am unforunately getting around 10 hours per charge on moderate use with the phone taking 5 hours to charge (and it only charges to 95%???).  Everyone is saying you have to train the battery to help the charge time and uptime, but I'm not sold that will completely fix my problem. It seems that Google/android are fairly good about addressing initial problems with software updates soon after a phones release. I'm assuming the Sprint\Samsung\Google is aware of the issue by now, judging by the sheer volume of posts online, and I'm guessing we'll be getting an update soon.  If this isn't fixed within the next 2-3 weeks, this phone is going back to sprint and I'll take my business elsewhere.  Don't overlook that 30 day return policy!!!

Currently, I love the phone, but the battery life\Charge time is unacceptable.  Sprint, please don't make me go back to my iPhone 4 on AT&T.

GrandMaster

from what ive heard once the battery is charged, unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in and it will charge for roughly another half hour topping it off. it's supposedly a safety feature on the battery to only allow so much charge.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

A safety feature? Who has time for that and why are the stores not saying anything?

Journeyman

I called customer service they suggested a visit to the Sprint store. Stopped by store. They acknowleged some Sprint knowledge of a problem but it didn't sound very solid or official. No real solution offered other than switching for another phone that may or may not have same problem or waiting. Decided to wait a little while and see if any official resolution. If nothing before my 30 days ends, then back it goes. As the phone is now it looses power at a faster rate than it charges! lol

Journeyman

Re: Charging issues with Nexus S ?

About the slow charging issue: The charget that comes with the Nexus is 700mAh, and the chargers that come with the Evo (and Pre) are 1 Amp, so the other chargers work faster.You should use one of your other chargers if you have one from one of the above phones. phanikv, your charge time might go down to 3 hours or so.

Journeyman

My Nexus S is also a slow charger.... I have tried the suggestion about charging for a period, unplugging for up to 15 minutes and then plugging in and I have NOT been able to get past 94% charged.  It says "charged", but unplugging it for just a minute or two and then plugging it back in, has never gotten past the 94% charged.  I have dimmed the screen, too, as suggest above and after an hour call I am suddently at 55-60% of the battery.  At this rate, I would not even have three hours of talk time on this unit which is NOT acceptable for my line of work.  Hope this get addressed AND RESOLVED SOON !!  It is a deal breaker for me !!!!

Sprint Employee

if some are having trouble with slow charge and fast battery drain it may be safe to say you are using more power, your email settings (mainly polling interval for pop and IMAP) & other sync accounts will cause high power consumption, and not turning off unused devices (like 4g, bluetooth, Wifi, GPS. you can use the android power bar to quickly access those features, and use juice defender to slow background data usage, let me know if that helps improve battery life, and reduce amount of time it takes to charge.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I understand that some reps are here to help, but please stop saying that some apps slow it down from charging. This has to be the slowest charging phone I have ever owned, I mean this thing takes over 5-6 hours to charge. if I use it while charging the damn this actually never charges and stays at the same rate unless I put it down.

When someone says it takes epic long to charge, it means exactly that, its not about battery life, its about the time it takes to charge the phone, which is insanely long with this phone. There has to be a reason why it takes so long.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat