cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different ringtone for text and email

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is it possible on the Nexus S, to make different ringtones for both text and email.  It's rather annoying if you can't!

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Wizard

When you set the notification sound from the main settings menu, it creates a blanket notification sound.  You should be able to go into each application and then go into settings and change the notification sound specifically for that app.

Journeyman

I have been able to set different ringtones for my phone, text and e-mail.  However, I am unable to change the ringtone for my e-mail.  It keeps reverting to the one I originally set no matter what I do.  I keep trying to change it through my e-mail setting AND my notification setting but it won't change.  Can you help me please?  I don't want a Halloween e-mail notification ringtone year round. 

Journeyman

Polite bump of my previous post.  Can anyone here tell me how to change the ringtone for my e-mail account?  I use my MSN account, instead of G-mail on my Nexus S 4G.  I'm able to change my text and phone ringtones, but my e-mail ringtone keeps reverting back to the one I set up originally, no matter what I try.  Any suggestions? 

Journeyman

are you getting MSN mail with an MSN app or the stock email app

If it's an MSN app it's probably what Mr. Gates would call a "feature"

Sprint Employee

Hello Pupmom3, do you have the MSN account setup as Pop, EAS, or through a market app?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Re: Different ringtone for text and email

Thanks for replying.  I don't know how it is set up.  I got the phone at Best Buy and one of the people there set it up for me because I don't know how to do it.  I just have a plain e-mail icon for it and I have a separate G-Mail icon for that account, but I don't use that one.  I get all of my business e-mails through my msn account via Hotmail.  One thing I've noticed is that my folders aren't all there.  I don't have a junk mail folder on my phone to look through to see if any important e-mails end up there.  I always have to check that folder from home.  Also, if I delete an e-mail on my phone, it's still in my Hotmail account on my home computer.  Is that supposed to happen?

Edited to say that I did some playing around and found that my Incoming and Outgoing settings are Pop Live.....does that help?  And I also found the setting to delete my messages from my phone.  It was unchecked.  So, now back to the issue of my e-mail notification tone always reverting back to the original one that I set up. 

Sprint Employee

Hello Pupmom3, It sound's like they setup the Hotmail account as POP (Post office Protocol) this method will generally only receive mail from inbox, may not report status of messages to server, and will allow you to send messages. Do you use the Nexus S? and you may remove the POP email account, and setup as EAS to have more content sync, including your Live/Hotmail contacts & calendar. to setup go through the email setup wizard, select manual setup after typing your email address & password, the username is your full email address, and the server address is m.hotmail.com (even if the email address is @live.com or msn.com I believe).

Journeyman

Thank you, RC.  I have my contacts sync'd and am able to do most things except check my junk mail and change my ringtone.  I'm a smart phone newbie....the Nexus S 4G is my first one.  Can you tell me how to find the email setup wizard?  Sorry to be a pain.  Also, if I do this, will that allow me to change ringtones for e-mail?  I'd hate to go through all this and still not be able to do that.  When I sync'd my contacts for the G-mail and Hotmail accounts, it duplicated them in my Contacts and it was extremely time consuming to try to delete them.  I'm sure I still have many dupes there and don't want to have them tripled if I set up another e-mail account.  I really was just hoping not to have a Halloween ringtone for my e-mail forever. 

Sprint Employee

Hello Pupmom3, To find the setup wizard you can press the grid icon at bottom of home screen to open the Application Drawer, select the Email Icon. From Email if no accounts exist the setup wizard opens, if an account already exists, then press menu > accounts > menu > add account. From the wizard it will first ask for your email address and password. From here you can select next for Android to attempt auto setup, or if it’s a custom domain, or non standard setup you may tap manual setup to enter details. To adjust the notification settings for each individual account, go to the account’s inbox, then tap menu > account settings, scroll down half way to find Notification settings, you may select the box to receive notifications, then select a tone, and choose if you would like it to vibrate. I also had taken time to setup my live.com, as exchange in a nexus to test this, after setup I chose a ringtone from the email account settings, then selected a notification tone from menu > settings > sounds, the email reverted to default tone, but I repeated these steps, and sent more test messages and this did not happen again. Please let me know if your experience varies, and if so, let me know what you may have done differently. You also have an option to delete /combine duplicates on the hotmail and Gmail websites. Go to contacts and look for manage > cleanup in hotmail, or  in Gmail go to contacts, click More, then find & merge duplicates. to change the categories of contacts displayed go to contacts in phone, then press menu > display options, and select/deselect categories in each listed account.

Journeyman

Hi, RC.  I was able to set up an Exchage Account with m.hotmail.com as you suggested.  I did not, however, delete my other POP account yet because I wanted to make sure that this one works first.  I checked to make the New Hotmail account my default, but the widget on my home screen is still showing my regular Hotmail POP account and when I click on that I still have to go into Account settings to use the new account.  Is there a way to change this so that I can test the new account?  I sent myself an e-mail and did not get notification of it.  However, the new exchange account has a POP folder (just like my Hotmail Live account has) and I did receive notification of lots of e-mails in that.  It appears that I'm just not receiving notifications from that Inbox.  Is this all making sense to you?  Sorry to be confusing, but I'm not familiar with how all this works.  Oh, and when I chose a ringtone, the new ringtone worked for all of my POP folder notifications.  Thanks again for all your help.

P.S.  When I tried to send myself an e-mail from my phone, when I started typing in my e-mail addy, the bar that opened up with e-mail addresses below would not allow me to scroll to select my address.  It would start to slide and then revert back to the same 2 addys that were shown in the bar.  Also, I just received another e-mail and received 2 notification ringtones.....one the new one, and one was the old one.  Now things are really mixed up! 

PPS.  Ugh.....now I'm getting notifications on every old e-mail in my POP folder that is in my Hotmail account and I have over 21,000 in there!  But I'm not getting notifications of e-mails that come into my Inbox in that account, which I have made my default.  HELP!  The e-mails are bypassing my Inbox and going into the POP folder instead.  I have the POP folder in my Hotmail Live account so that I can save e-mails that get transferred into my Outlook Express on my home computer.  But I only want notifications of e-mails that come into my Inbox, not POP.  I've looked and cannot figure out how to change the notifications on this account to be from my Inbox only.  Right now, there are almost 400 e-mails in my POP folder on my phone, and I just set this up a few minutes ago.  It checks every 10 minutes and adds more.

Sprint Employee

Hello again, You may at this point safely remove the POP account from mail > menu > accounts, and long hold the old account to find delete account. After removing the account, then I would try removing the Email widget, and re-add the widget. For notifications of the new account you would go to it’s account settings, they are set individually for each Email account. You are likely hearing two separate notifications because either one of the accounts has default selected, or a flaw in the software make you select the tone a second time for it to save properly, this I have sent up for investigation.

At this point is the old pop account playing the correct tone? Do you prefer the behavior of POP over Exchange?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat