cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different ringtone for text and email

Journeyman

Re: Different ringtone for text and email

I have deleted the old POP account and removed the widget.  I then dragged the e-mail widget from my apps to my home screen and it now only shows my "New Hotmail" account and my G-mail account.  However, I'm still not receiving notifications of e-mails in my Inbox from the new account even though it is marked as my default account.  I sent myself a couple more test e-mails, plus the e-mail notification of your response to me came in on my home computer, but not on my phone.  The only way I can get those is to go into my POP folder on this account.  It seems like the Inbox is bypassed and everything goes into POP on this exchange account.  When I click on Folders and choose the POP folder, my phone then sends me the new notification tone.  It's very frustrating.  Any other suggestions to remedy this?  There is no option that I can see to check to receive notifications into my Inbox only.  It's like they come into there and are immediately transferred to my POP folder.

The thing I like about this exchage account is that I can see my Junk folder, which I could not see when I had the POP live account, but I do need to be notified of messages that come to my Inbox.

Sprint Employee

Hello Pupmom3, first have you gone to the account settings for the email account that you still have on the phone to set your email notification? are you referring to a widget, or a shortcut to Email on your home screen? In what way did the notification come to your computer? do you use windows live, outlook or windows mail/outlook express on the computer? and when you say "It seems like the Inbox is bypassed and everything goes into POP on this exchange account" do think that maybe you still have the hotmail account setup in the email application twice?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I have definitely deleted the old Hotmail account that was on my phone.  But I think I have figured out why the messages were going into my POP folder instead of staying in my Inbox.  I had Outlook Express open on my home computer and when I use that, the e-mails are transferred from the Hotmail web site into OE, but a copy is kept in my POP folder in case I need to refer to it if I'm using another computer.  I just closed OE and sent myself an e-mail and I did receive a notification and the e-mail was in my Inbox!  And I am also able to change my e-mail ringtones now!

RC.....you're the best!  Thank you so much for having such patience with a newbie like me! 

Sprint Employee

Thankfully, patience is a two way street that leads to the avenue of yay it's working. Please let me know if you have anything else come up.

Journeyman

Thank you sooooooo much!  Whatever they're paying you......it's not enough! 

Journeyman

Ugh.....here we go again.  Today my phone has reverted back to the ringtone that I set yesterday, even though I've tried to change it numerous times.  It also is "pushing" notification of every e-mail I receive, rather than checking every 30 minutes as I have set it to do over and over again.  Any idea why it's doing this again?  So sorry to bother you again, but this is so frustrating.  

Sprint Employee

hello Pupmom3, please tell me what you see on the account list from email, when you press menu > accounts. Had you at any point enabled forwarding from the microsoft account to your Gmail account?

Journeyman

The account list only shows my Gmail account and my New Hotmail account that I set up yesterday, which is the one I have checked as default.  I have never enabled forwarding to or from my Gmail account because I don't use that address for anything.  I only set that one up because the NS4G is a Google phone and I had to have a Gmail addy for that.  I'm doing everything just like I did yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be accepting the changes that I make for the e-mail ringtone or Inbox check frequency.  I keep changing the ringtone and then click "set ringtone" and it keeps reverting back to the previous one.  Same thing with the inbox check frequency.....it keeps reverting to automatic "push" rather than every 30 minutes like I have checked.  It even shows it underneath Inbox Check Frequency after I select it, but then when I get another notification (before the 30 minutes is up) I look and see that it has reverted back to push.  I even tried shutting my phone off and then turning it back on to see if that would help with accepting the changes, but it still reverted back to the previous settings.

Sprint Employee

I have a buddy here with the Nexus S, he has a hotmail, and a gmail account setup in it. in email's account list he only has hotmail and combined inbox listed, in gmail only the one gmail account (which also appears in accounts & sync. he has hotmail setup as pop. for the notification I only saw that one little glitch, and my friend does not use email notifications so he hadn't noticed it.

Journeyman

Thanks for checking for me again, RC.  It's strange how it worked yesterday when I set up the new exchange account instead of the POP account.  Must be a thing with the phone itself, huh?

Sprint Employee

So to summarize in the Email accounts list you have only one account listed, hotmail (is it setup as pop, or exchange at this point?), it has a notification tone set from it's account settings, your hotmail account is set to Don't let another program delete messages (in Hotmail options > POP and deleting downloaded messages), and your email program on the PC is set to delete messages. please let me know if any of this is incorrect.

Journeyman

In my e-mail Accounts list there are 2 accounts.....GMail (because it's required for a Google phone) and my Hotmail account, which is what I use all the time and is checked as the default account.  I now have it set up as an Exchange account which I did yesterday per your instructions.  My Hotmail account is set to "Don't let another program delete messages from Hotmail."  On my PC, my messages are received via Outlook Express from Hotmail.  Once they go into OE, they disappear from my Inbox but are saved in my POP folder in Hotmail.  Hope this helps......thank you!

BTW, what is happening is that I get an e-mail notification everytime an e-mail comes into my Hotmail account, and then another notification when it goes into my POP folder, so I get 2 notifications for every e-mail when all I want is for my phone to check and notify me every 30 minutes.  Now it's every 5 seconds at times. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat